Author Topic: Godin Dorchester bass  (Read 3257 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Godin Dorchester bass
« on: May 11, 2018, 12:26:25 AM »
I saw this short-scale Godin Dorchester bass in a local music shop yesterday. It's like a Ric-meets-Mosrite. Rickenbacker style chambered body with flat bound back and German carve on the front, Mosrite upside-down look, Epi Newport pickguard, and P90-like pickups. And of course the Fender lever switch because we have to have something Fender. I didn't like it - not a solid body, not a hollow body. Did anybody else here try these?

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Godin Dorchester bass
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 07:52:53 AM »
I really like that!  But nope, never seen one before.

Nothing wrong with chambered - my Gretsch Thunderjet is chambered.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:06:53 AM »
I haven't seen one. It's the bass version of the Dorchester guitar, which has been around since about 2010, and I've seen one of those. Didn't play it b/c I didn't like the styling. The line was originally called Richmond by Godin, that's changed now.

If it sounds good, I wouldn't care one way or the other about chambering.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 09:57:27 AM »
I saw it at the NAMM and I think it looks great

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 03:59:23 PM »
Bonus points for the bridge and dogear p90 looking pickups.
Louder bass!.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 01:23:28 AM »
I posted it on the website/facebook of my mag and the reactions were mainly negative. I like the Rick-ish vibe, the dog ears and the fact it's a short scale but not a cheap one. Bass world has tons of cheap short scales and too little well made ones.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 06:20:41 AM »
I posted it on the website/facebook of my mag and the reactions were mainly negative. I like the Rick-ish vibe, the dog ears and the fact it's a short scale but not a cheap one. Bass world has tons of cheap short scales and too little well made ones.

I'm not surprised at the negative reactions. It looks a lot more like a Mosrite than a Ric, and the sort-of-reversed-Strat Mosrite look doens't seem to be popular today, not that it was ever very poplular. Then there's that hideous-looking burst finish.

silentrex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 03:12:52 PM »
I just learned this exists, and I'm wondering how it compares to my '72 Univox Hi-Flier. The semi-hollowness + the demo I watched suggest it's somewhat thunkier, so it might be a welcome addition to the stable even if keeping the similar-looking HF. Anyone here played both?

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 01:37:36 PM »
There is a demo on Youtube!

Not too bad sounding. You can see the Rick influence in that the back is flat, and bound, and the top is carved. 4005 style, but with a Mosrite outline and P90 pickups.

I don't like the cheap-looking 3-way switch, Gibson skirt knobs or the big daft flappy tuners. It is like you can see where the Godin R & D department gave up and reached for the Korean or Chinese hardware catalogs.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 04:12:37 PM »
It does sound pretty good. Still don't care for the looks.

I mentioned above that the line was originally called Richmond by Godin, that was probably to distinguish the line from the more expensive Godins. This line has always used cheaper pickups from Asia and lower priced hardware. As long as it's functional and fits the price point, nothing wrong with that.