Author Topic: Short string recommendation  (Read 2759 times)

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
Short string recommendation
« on: February 05, 2009, 08:53:32 AM »
Im looking for a recommendation for some lo tension short scale strings. Both flats and round . thanx
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

patman

• View Profile
Re: Short string recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:56:25 AM »
I know this is heresy, but I use EB extra slinky

I cut them down...they all fit except I have to unravel the outermost winding on the e-string 1/4 inch to go into the tuner.

super low tension--super flexible for slap

YMMV

haven't found flats for ss

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:29:37 PM »
TI Jazz flats and rounds are the lowest tensions strings on the market to my knowledge.  I use both and love the way I can bend them and how easy they are for me to play.  In most cases, the 32" scale TI strings, the shorted they make, fit 30" basses just fine without the need to do a lot of cutting or surgery.  I have them on 5-6 30" basses presently.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:39:22 PM »
I know this is heresy, but I use EB extra slinky

I cut them down...they all fit except I have to unravel the outermost winding on the e-string 1/4 inch to go into the tuner.

super low tension--super flexible for slap

YMMV

haven't found flats for ss

Why is that heresy? I use Super Slinkys (Slinkies?) on my roundwound-strung basses.

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 03:02:21 PM »
I use fender flats or labelle black nylon tape wound on my basses, And now I have some DR black beatys on two of them but that's not really my cup op thea. Almost al my bassguitars are shortscales.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 04:58:26 AM »
I use d'addario exl 170 on a few of my short scales and I'm pretty happy with them.  they're probably not as low tension as the TI's but not super high tension either.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 09:20:03 AM »
People have told be that cutting down a longscale slinky to fit the Danos will somehow adversely affect the tone

I think it's BS

Actually EB roundwounds are the first string that I have developed a brand loyalty for...after 30 years of playing...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 10:11:14 AM »
It is BS. A cut down string will have a larger diameter where it enters the tuning post so on a small diameter post there's a chance it might be prone to slipping out of tune more often. Still, that wouldn't affect the tone a bit.

The only other downside of cutting a longer string down is that the first time you wind it around the post, there's always a chance of breaking the string or separating the core from the winding. But if it survives that first time, you're okay. I never had that happen when I had short scale basses, it's happened to others occasionally. Probably also depends on the brand of string and how it's made.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 06:38:03 PM »
What Dave said is right on.  I ve owned basses that came with long strings cut down to 30".  No problems, no slippage, no "tone" issues.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 05:17:19 AM »
I have some 15 short scale bassguitars in use and I have never put an short scale set on one of them. Always cut down the larger strings.

But as Dave explaines some brands of string have the habit of breaking on the first turn. I had that problem when I started playing en changing string on shorts scale basses. But that's more then 8 or 9 years back now. Never had the problem ever again. You just have to pre-bend the string a little bit before putting it in the tuner. That way it never snaps.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 10:41:17 AM »
I don't see why you'd want to cut a 34" scale string if a 32" (or even better, a 30") would work without cutting into the wrap.  But, anything is possible if you're careful enough and figure out how to make it work.  I just like taking the strings out of the box, cutting a little of the lead off and tuning them up!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 02:58:30 PM »
Same here. But if the particular strings I wanted were only available in long scale, I'd do it. And I've bought a couple of short scales in the past that had cut-down strings on them, they were fine.

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 02:46:34 AM »
There's no store in my neigboorhood that sells short scale strings and even to order them over here in holland can be hard. And indeed the strings I like the most aren't sold in another scale.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
I LOVE Fender 5250's. Especially when they're dead.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 06:27:59 PM »
Although I'm not against cutting down long strings in an emergency, I prefer to use the right length.  With online vendors like juststrings.com around, there's normally no need to use over-length strings.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."