Poll

Now, why don't you like it?

Nothing good ever came after the bar bridge, intonation is for girls!
2 (2.7%)
Chrome yes, but a three point?
13 (17.6%)
I don't like it because it is short scale. That said, had it been long scale I wouldn't have liked it either for lack of historical accuracy. I like to be difficult.
10 (13.5%)
Everything in the old days was better.
9 (12.2%)
Gibson shouldn't be making basses, full stop.
3 (4.1%)
I'm with Uwe, won't change the world, but nice try and a cute bow to the past.
26 (35.1%)
This color totally rawks, way to go dude!!!
7 (9.5%)
Pelham what?
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Bash the new Gibson Bass!!!  (Read 33321 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Bash the new Gibson Bass!!!
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2011, 11:27:27 AM »

Not unworthy, I agree, but it lacks imagination .... indeed just another version of the SG ...... and it could have looked less cheap-ass if they only put a PG on her ......

I'd have liked it better with an SG-style rout along the edges, which would have added more visual detail. 

Somehow the slab-bodied Telecaster looks better to me than the slab-bodied LP Jr.  Maybe I'm just used to seeing the Tele.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2011, 12:12:20 PM »
This came first:

This is closer to what we all wanted:

But let's just say Gibson wanted to make a bass version of this:

vates

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2011, 01:22:03 AM »

I would buy a single-pickup Victory reissue in a heartbeat. If only they've made its weight lighter...

However, I'm still looking for an original single-pickup "confederacy" model...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2011, 03:55:52 AM »
Yeehaw!!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2011, 04:31:35 AM »
I would buy a single-pickup Victory reissue in a heartbeat. If only they've made its weight lighter...

I agree there is something cool & basic about any single pup bass. Love the patina green silver color of those as well.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2011, 05:41:56 AM »
What happened to the complementary model the Gibson Custom Shop did to the "Rebel" Victory, IIRC it was to be in a "General Sherman Signature Atlanta Charcoal"-fin, not so?  ;) ;) ;)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2011, 07:52:40 AM »
Love the patina green silver color of those as well.

The Green Slime finish.  :puke:

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2011, 09:49:43 AM »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2011, 06:45:53 PM »
I'll add some insult to injury: http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/2386827173.html

Even Sam Ash can make a house brand doublecut Junior style.

vates

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2011, 10:28:18 PM »
I like that vid, Dave, thanks! :)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 19, 2011, 06:12:14 AM »

A mahogany Victory would be sweet!

On another note related to this thread, I've found it to be pretty interesting reading. As always, this place is great! On the topic of Gibsons, Fenders, etc., I have to say that I've never seen a new Thunderbird in a store anywhere around here and I always looks. The T-birds I've seen have already been in someone's hand. Fenders are in all the stores here by the hundreds, it seems.

Costwise, Gibson basses seem high in general and I doubt I'd buy one because of that. However, Fenders seem awfully high too but at least they can be had and you can see a large variety in person.

When I took my 4001 over to the Ric Exchange (formerly the Music Connection) to have the truss rod adjusted and wiring checked, I was shocked at the quality of the Rics he had on hand. Strickly from an appearance and build standpoint, I would say that between Gibsons, Fenders and Rickenbacker, the Rics are the basses most worth the money.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:32:51 AM by Denis »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #161 on: May 19, 2011, 07:46:47 PM »
I'll add some insult to injury: http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/2386827173.html

Well, there you go. That one is priced more like it looks.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #162 on: May 20, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
When I took my 4001 over to the Ric Exchange (formerly the Music Connection) to have the truss rod adjusted and wiring checked, I was shocked at the quality of the Rics he had on hand. Strickly from an appearance and build standpoint, I would say that between Gibsons, Fenders and Rickenbacker, the Rics are the basses most worth the money.

Rics are still one of the most bang for the buck instruments you can buy. If they said Spector, Lakland, or Lull on the headstock, they'd cost at least 50% more.

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2011, 04:24:07 PM »
I may be the youngest person here (26?) and I don't see the thrill of keeping alive the good old days. The "retro" thing seems to be curiously multi-generational with all the faux-faded Zeppelin shirts on people my age and throwback everything for the now wealthy older musician. I have ALWAYS appreciated Gibson being far more daring than any other American mass-manufacturer, and even most imports! The Reverse flying-V, the HD Les Paul (which although super expensive, a genius invention), the new Firebird X's... you see nothing like this coming from the 7ender camp. Laklands are made well but most of them are just 7ender clones anyway. Warwick have crafted their little niche but they're not straying very far from it (though I do really appreciate their Dolphin body shape, the Vampyre uber-low-tuned metal design, etc.). Gibson is taking chances. That's worth supporting.

Marketing to nostalgia probably sells far better but listening to nostalgia music is just as tiring as playing nostalgia instruments after awhile. The new designs tread familiar paths but carry something new about them and that's a very balanced approach I feel. I tried for something similar when I started modifying my Thunderbird.

For the record, I played a late 70's Rickenbacker 4001 for a year and it was a very fine bass, but superior construction than my 00's Thunderbird? I just don't agree.
Half-speed Hawkwind

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »
....... for the now wealthy older musician.  ;D

"Marketing to nostalgia probably sells far better "

I  think these 2 sentences when put together explain a lot in relation to how the marketing is done.  :)
Digresion our specialty!