Author Topic: Dear Connecticut...  (Read 44938 times)

Blackbird

• View Profile
Re: Dear Connecticut...
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2012, 11:03:24 AM »
So for my own understanding, some folks here on this forum and other parts of the US actually think they need automatic weapons to revolt against a potential hostile US government? 

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
So for my own understanding, some folks here on this forum and other parts of the US actually think they need automatic weapons to revolt against a potential hostile US government?  

I don't think that personally.  I can't make a case for ownership of fully automatic weapons by civilians under any circumstances.  But even that's not a clear position, because many semi-automatic firearms can easily be made to function in fully automatic mode.

There are plenty of people who think that black gummint helicopters are constantly hovering just over the horizon, and that there are listening devices in their box of cornflakes. They're freakin' nuts, but there are many of them.  

There are also many who have sincere doubts about the direction of the government - if you've followed news, you know that citizens in some states actually have submitted a petition to secede from the US (probably because they think the current administration is the antichrist).

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/14/white-house-secede-petitions-reach-660000-signatures-50-state-participation/

Personally (political view here) I think those who want to secede are showing the worst kind of ANTI-patriotism, as I think they should show faith in their country by working within the system instead of trying to escape from it. I doubt they would agree with my opinion, as their views seem to be so polarized that listening to reason isn't part of their behavior.

Put those and other indicators together with the wording of the second amendment make the comment about automatic firearms a true statement.  Quote: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

To many people, the security of a free state not only includes freedom from outside elements, but from those in our own government, which they do not trust. Put that together with the second amendment, and they have a nice excuse for protecting any intrusion on firearms ownership of any kind at any time.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:12:35 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2012, 11:20:20 AM »

Yes, definately. There are militia groups ready right now.

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2012, 11:29:02 AM »
Yes, definately. There are militia groups ready right now.

That is simply insane.  I do think I saw some kind of show that outlined this...like some kind of weekend warriors.....but these 'militias' seemed more like a bunch of fat bellied, long bearded hillbillies that didn't like any kind of rules. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2012, 11:32:37 AM »

Sorry, coming from a country that has seen how it was to be taken hostage by a government at one point,

and barely survived the consequences, I can only laugh about your conspiracy fears. You have no f***ing idea what you are talking about, no f***ing idea.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2012, 11:33:26 AM »
That is simply insane.  I do think I saw some kind of show that outlined this...like some kind of weekend warriors.....but these 'militias' seemed more like a bunch of fat bellied, long bearded hillbillies that didn't like any kind of rules. 

FTR, I'd be quite OK if the right to bare arms was a couple of cannons:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2012, 11:36:38 AM »
I can only laugh about your conspiracy fears. You have no f***ing idea what you are talking about, no f***ing idea.

Uwe, I can't express how much I DON'T want those groups to gain any more power.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2012, 11:39:18 AM »
Now I'm against bum control too.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
I have to agree here.  Those kinds of groups (including the Nazi's) don't generally consist of people who are high achievers in life. 

I stay away from guns, won't have one around.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2012, 11:50:12 AM »
i don't see these militia groups as any kind of threat. we have some here in the south running around the woods playing soldier. their politics are usually far right wing and non attainable. if they want a revolution let them try, against the entire usa military. this would come to be known as the 'five minute war'. from what i have seen and read they often line up with the arayan nation folks politically. not good.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »
Well, I leave for a few hours, and everyone is busy here. 

1.  I agree with Dave on the media issue, and I've felt that way for a long time.  The media doesn't make villains out of these people, they make them martyrs, celebrities and anti-heroes.  When a train hit a school bus near my house in Illinois, the media was all over the high school, paying students $10 to cry on camera.  The local school administration and police told the news crews that they were no longer allowed near the school for reporting.

2.  An armed militia will unlikely ever be able to take over or take back a government.  Those sorts of changes require leaders and management.  Disgruntled people only make noise.  Even in the Civil War here, the soldiers were not the thinkers, only the labor sent out to follow the orders of those who had the real vision.

3.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hitler was originally VOTED into power, correct?  He came along and restored hope to a dejected Germany.  He also started out exploiting existing sentiment, like anti-Semitism, and fanned the flames of a willing public, to the tune of his own belief and design.  The problem came after he got in the driver's seat, and decided to tell the country how it was going to be, and people weren't happy with that.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2012, 01:29:36 PM »
Well, I leave for a few hours, and everyone is busy here. 

1.  I agree with Dave on the media issue, and I've felt that way for a long time.  The media doesn't make villains out of these people, they make them martyrs, celebrities and anti-heroes.  When a train hit a school bus near my house in Illinois, the media was all over the high school, paying students $10 to cry on camera.  The local school administration and police told the news crews that they were no longer allowed near the school for reporting.

2.  An armed militia will unlikely ever be able to take over or take back a government.  Those sorts of changes require leaders and management.  Disgruntled people only make noise.  Even in the Civil War here, the soldiers were not the thinkers, only the labor sent out to follow the orders of those who had the real vision.

3.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hitler was originally VOTED into power, correct?  He came along and restored hope to a dejected Germany.  He also started out exploiting existing sentiment, like anti-Semitism, and fanned the flames of a willing public, to the tune of his own belief and design.  The problem came after he got in the driver's seat, and decided to tell the country how it was going to be, and people weren't happy with that.

Yes, on point 3, that is what I was saying in my earlier post.  Hitler used the system which already existed to gain power, then reshaped it to make it a dictatorship.  How many guns the people had was never an issue.  Even if they had been armed to the teeth, it would have made no difference considering the actual military they would have been facing. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2012, 01:32:56 PM »
Now I'm against bum control too.

If this wouldn't change people's minds on bum control, nothing will. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2012, 01:35:01 PM »
Given the original premise of this thread and the specific request of it's author on it's relevance; the last page especially of it is nothing short of disgusting.
Ideally it should be reported to a moderator .............. but wait..........  :rolleyes:

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
Given the original premise of this thread and the specific request of it's author on it's relevance; the last page especially of it is nothing short of disgusting.
Ideally it should be reported to a moderator .............. but wait..........  :rolleyes:

People deal with tragedies in completely different ways.  Some resort to a form of humor if they think that will do any good.  It may not fit your personality type, but it may fit that of others.  However, when I find something somewhere on a message board that I strongly object to, I just leave.  I've done it a number of times through the years and it can be effective.

--Blaise Pascal