Author Topic: Cataldo 12 string three pickup Nonreverse Thunderbird.  (Read 1861 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Cataldo 12 string three pickup Nonreverse Thunderbird.
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2022, 01:16:11 PM »
I'm still laughing that anyone is trying to 'get' the Ramones and Lemmy. 

All you need to know about The Ramones is within the (subtly genius) lyrics of Rockaway Beach

Chewing out a rhythm on my bubble gum
The sun is high, and I want some
It's not hard not far to reach
We can head to Rockaway Beach
Up on the roof, out on the street
Down in the playground the hot concrete
Bus ride is too slow
They blast out the disco on the radio

Strangely, it seems there is an adament agreement across the decades between Dee Dee here (who wrote all their best lyrics - and continued to do so after he left the band) and Lizzo - it's all about the tempo (though granted, the Lizzo track is ironically slow, esp compared to anything by the Ramones, but perhaps that was to be demonstrative of the thesis as seems to be visually suggested in the video).

Anyway, that's a cool ass bass and a righteously knarley sound with the MArshall, Scott.  I am surprised Uwe isn't more into it because that's definately one angry ass piano, but I'll cut him some slack on account of getting old (pulling out the ELO; it'll be muzak next ;P).

I'm sorry that my taste (or lack of taste) doesn't meet up to your standards.  Having said that I actually don't rate my own taste in music very high, either.  It's very limited and I can't seem to keep myself from a small number of genres.  My taste, unlike Uwe's, is not very eclectic.  I like what I like and I don't like what I don't like.  But when I say I don't "get" something it doesn't mean I don't know anything about it.  In many cases, I do.  For example, for years I didn't "get" U2.  I still don't get them.  I listened to them a lot, but could never understand the appeal.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 01:28:54 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2022, 02:34:20 PM »
No knocking Adam Clayton now or Tom will get all protective again!  :mrgreen:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2022, 09:13:08 PM »
I'm still laughing that anyone is trying to 'get' the Ramones and Lemmy. 

All you need to know about The Ramones is within the (subtly genius) lyrics of Rockaway Beach

Chewing out a rhythm on my bubble gum
The sun is high, and I want some
It's not hard not far to reach
We can head to Rockaway Beach
Up on the roof, out on the street
Down in the playground the hot concrete
Bus ride is too slow
They blast out the disco on the radio

Strangely, it seems there is an adament agreement across the decades between Dee Dee here (who wrote all their best lyrics - and continued to do so after he left the band) and Lizzo - it's all about the tempo (though granted, the Lizzo track is ironically slow, esp compared to anything by the Ramones, but perhaps that was to be demonstrative of the thesis as seems to be visually suggested in the video).

Anyway, that's a cool ass bass and a righteously knarley sound with the MArshall, Scott.  I am surprised Uwe isn't more into it because that's definately one angry ass piano, but I'll cut him some slack on account of getting old (pulling out the ELO; it'll be muzak next ;P).

WTF?

I had to go back and see what you were responding to, and you're way out of line. We tease each other all the time about what we like (ask me what I think of Gene Simmons), but ridiculing a member for not getting someone you like? Definitely not cool.

And FFS, the Ramones and Lemmy, of all people? I thought the Ramones were a lot of fun, but they always had a shit ton of detractors, they were minimally talented, and subtle genius is about the last term I'd use to describe their lyrics. Rhyming tell 'em and cerebellum was about the limit of Dee Dee's lyrical ability. Lemmy was a great showman but I know more metal guys who disliked him than liked him.

Lizzo?  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2022, 07:21:59 AM »
Hey, anybody can ridicule my music tastes all they want!!! I'm used to it since school and totally immune to it. As a contrarian, there is nothing worse than the band you really like becoming truly popular. In 10th to 13th grade in school, I was commonly referred to as "Hard  & Heavy Uwe" because I'd be listening to Purple, Quo, Judas Priest, Kiss, Uriah Heep, The Dictators, Scorpions, Rory Gallagher, New York Dolls, Alice Cooper, Johnny Winter, Ted Nugent, Rainbow, Whitesnake, BÖC, Runaways, Nazareth, UFO, Sweet and Suzi Quatro + jawohl, even the Ramones while everybody else was digging Pink Floyd, Supertramp, CSN&Y, Yes, Bob Dylan, Mike Oldfield, Genesis and Jethro Tull - , more "adult", proggish or folkish rock (I actually heard that too and liked it, but it didn't move me like hard rock).

I know lots of people who don't get the Ramones. Most women don't, they think they're, surprise, samey (now how unjust!) and somewhat silly. Same with Motörhead - let's face it, Lemmy couldn't sing, women are bothered by that. What the Ramones and Motörhead share is the larger than life comic book iconic visual image that transcends anything they ever did musically. That doesn't make them culturally less relevant. I'm happy they are a part of rock history even though Motörhead live (I saw them three times, with Philthy and Fast Eddie, with Brian Robertson and the final line-up) could be an unforgiving barrage of just noise.

And I disagree, Dave, Joey R wasn't a mindless lyricist. Stuff like "the KKK took my baby away" because your politically right-leaning guitarist is suddenly dating your former girlfriend as the left-leaning singer shows some tongue in cheek insight.

Jake is a (lovable) loudmouth and regularly mocking people here for what he perceives as uncool dinosaur boring old fart rock, I fall into that latter category myself. I think it's refreshing and offers a different perspective. Ditto for posting a Lizzo vid, why the hell not? Besides he now likes Birth Control, so it's not like he's not learning something from us old men.

Peace now! It's 45 years since the Ramones debut was released, culture wars are over.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 06:25:57 PM by uwe »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2022, 07:30:28 AM »
I wanted it to sound like the Hohner Clavinet D6 that comes in at 00:44!  :mrgreen: I only realized sometime in the late 80ies that that adorable sound came from a keyboard and that my quest had been futile.  8)

That Clav sound is what I was going for too when I was 16. But I knew it was a keyboard.  ;D That line at 00:57 in Boston's "Foreplay" was the sh!t to me. And still is to be honest. I no longer have a 12er, but the 8 string Ric takes good care of my multi-course needs.

Having said that I actually don't rate my own taste in music very high, either.  It's very limited and I can't seem to keep myself from a small number of genres.  My taste, unlike Uwe's, is not very eclectic.  I like what I like and I don't like what I don't like.  But when I say I don't "get" something it doesn't mean I don't know anything about it.  In many cases, I do.

This is fairly close to my feelings as well. I'm pretty picky and have always tended to not like a lot of popular music. But that doesn't mean I don't think other people should like it. Well, sometimes...  :mrgreen:

No knocking Adam Clayton now or Tom will get all protective again!  :mrgreen:

I come to the defense of my fellow Irishman a couple of times and I'm labelled a fanboy.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2022, 07:40:12 AM »
Darn Catholics.  :mrgreen:

Belated happy St. Patrick's Day! Did you wear green, you little hornet?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 08:57:26 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2022, 09:49:04 AM »
That Clav sound is what I was going for too when I was 16. But I knew it was a keyboard.  ;D That line at 00:57 in Boston's "Foreplay" was the sh!t to me. And still is to be honest. I no longer have a 12er, but the 8 string Ric takes good care of my multi-course needs.

This is fairly close to my feelings as well. I'm pretty picky and have always tended to not like a lot of popular music. But that doesn't mean I don't think other people should like it. Well, sometimes...  :mrgreen:

I come to the defense of my fellow Irishman a couple of times and I'm labelled a fanboy.

Of course I was serious about my taste in music.  Part of that is the result of being here and seeing how some other people have such a wide and varied taste in music.  I just don't have that and probably never will. 

As for U2, my dislike for them has nothing at all to do with them being Irish.  I just don't like their music, period.  I've spent quite a lot of time in Ireland.  It is one of my favorite countries--maybe even my favorite. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2022, 10:47:18 AM »
Hey, anybody can ridicule my music tastes all they want!!! I'm used to it since school and totally immune to it. As a contrarian, there is nothing worse than the band you really like becoming truly popular. In 10th to 13th grade in school, I was commonly referred to as "Hard Rock Uwe" because I'd be listening to Purple, Quo, Judas Priest, Kiss, Uriah Heep, Scorpions, New York Dolls, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, Rainbow, Runaways, Sweet and Suzi Quatro + jawohl, even the Ramones while everybody else was digging Pink Floyd, Supertramp, CSN&Y, Yes, Bob Dylan, Mike Oldfield, Genesis and Jethro Tull - , more "adult", proggish or folkish rock (I actually heard that too and liked it, but it didn't move me like hard rock).

You're totally, completely missing the point.

This isn't about ridiculing someone's tastes, it's about ridiculing someone for not being as "enlightened" as Jake thinks he is. Must be lonely there on that mountaintop, so cool and intellectually superior to the rest of us who don't have his gift of enlightenment.

You're a contrarian. So am I. Jake is just a jerk. And I'm tired of it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2022, 04:37:31 PM »
Where would I be if you didn't explain things to me, Dave!

More than a few people here are guilty of a little vanity when it comes down to their own personal musical taste. "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone ...".

Name calling isn't a solution.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 04:42:46 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2022, 09:39:09 PM »
Where would I be if you didn't explain things to me, Dave!

More than a few people here are guilty of a little vanity when it comes down to their own personal musical taste. "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone ...".

Name calling isn't a solution.

You're still missing the point.

If the shoe fits... and in this case it does.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2022, 01:30:31 PM »
I really blame Scott for all this. Distorted 12 strings are obviously a divisive subject.  :rimshot: