Author Topic: Modify a Les Paul Tribute Jr DC bass with a Hobbit Pickup......  (Read 7145 times)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
Re: Modify a Les Paul Tribute Jr DC bass with a Hobbit Pickup......
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2020, 06:54:48 AM »
I installed them yesterday & like them so far. I’ve used D’Addario short scale strings for years but never flat wounds. Sweetwater sells 3 gauges of Gibson Brite Wire flat wound strings that I considered, but I went with the chromes. Oddly, the strings on the ES Les Paul Bass look almost identical to the Chromes. Same blue thread windings on the ends, strings look the same, just doesn’t have the color coded end thingies like the Chromes. My tone control still doesn’t have the range that my other basses have. I’ve tried two different value pots & four different capacitors. Also wired it two ways, not a huge difference. It sounds good & the amp has so many tone options that I left it as is. 2.5K pot & 3.3uf cap. I’m looking forward to giving it a good workout this afternoon.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2020, 09:43:33 AM »
Are you sure you have the right values?
The low impedance pickup requires different pots and different caps.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »
IIRC there was considerable cap value variation among the various LoZ models - I've seen 2.2, 3.3 and 4.7 as per your daigram there depending on Rec, Sig or Jumbo etc.  He's in the right range/order of magnitude based on his last post (2.5k and 3.3uF); not in HiZ territory at all(x00k and 0.022 to 0.047uf). Though 2.5k vs 1k pot may change the rolloff point of the 1st order RC filter a bit, like an octave more not less so he went the right way for what he wanted.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2020, 05:41:59 PM »
Are you sure you have the right values?
The low impedance pickup requires different pots and different caps.

I used the components from an original NOS 1973 Les Paul Triumph Bass control plate that I bought years ago just to get a new plastic control plate to replace the one that I had that was cracked. I used the treble pot so it was a 1K, not the 2.5 K that I mentioned earlier, but I tried both with minor differences. Both the Bass & the Les Paul Recording guitar used the same Volume, Tone & Bass components. Only the first year L-5S with the Low impedance pickups used only a Volume & Tone like I was using. It used a 1K audio pot & a 3.3uf cap. The LPR used a 1K linear pot & a 4.7uf cap. I tried the 3.3uf cap, didn’t notice much difference from the 4,7uf cap & left it. I tried the 2.5 KL bass control & the.15uf cap (the LPR has a .47cap here). Not a noticeable difference either. I asked an engineer I use to work with for advice. He said that my parts list called out for tantalum capacitors & that they are polarized. The old caps on my control plate didn’t have any noticeable polarity markings. By buying the new 3.3uf caps, I know I had the polarity correct but it didn’t change things noticeably.

P.S..... The bass worked great with the Chromes. They’ve added to the unique tone of the bass, I like it!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 07:49:06 AM by Grog »
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2020, 02:36:12 PM »
I installed them yesterday & like them so far. I’ve used D’Addario short scale strings for years but never flat wounds. Sweetwater sells 3 gauges of Gibson Brite Wire flat wound strings that I considered, but I went with the chromes. Oddly, the strings on the ES Les Paul Bass look almost identical to the Chromes. Same blue thread windings on the ends, strings look the same, just doesn’t have the color coded end thingies like the Chromes.

I was under the impression that the ES Les Paul bass came with Chromes from the factory. Mine did.