Author Topic: Modify a Les Paul Tribute Jr DC bass with a Hobbit Pickup......  (Read 7146 times)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
I just picked up another low impedance Les Paul pickup. I was thinking about the possibility of installing it in one of the new Les Paul DC basses when a project bass shows up on the Bay. The pickup is a bit thinner & a bit longer, but I think it will be a good fit with a little modification. Could even incorporate a coil tap switch & internal transformer but keep it simple. I hate to see these stripped down guitars sold on eBay, but they must sell. The guitar version is already on the chopping block. Any thoughts?
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Modify a Les Paul Tribute Jr DC bass with a Hobbit Pickup......
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 12:34:30 PM »
Do it! I think it would be a great mix of the plug 'n' play attraction of the DC Bass with some of the high-concept electronics of '70s Gibsons. A great meeting of worlds.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 09:37:55 PM »
I would do it. It's not like the stripped husk is likely ever to become "vintage" desirable and the body modification is minimal. You wouldn't be butchering it. Chances are, you'll end up with a bass you'll really like.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 11:29:10 PM »
I know you really like the Lo Z pickup basses so there's no reason not to do it and add the fact that Les Paul Bass + Lo Z pickup is a well established concept. Also I think it will look nice.  :toast:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 04:35:39 AM »
Go for it!

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 04:55:47 AM »
When a suitable donor is available, I will attempt the transplant. In the mean time, I’ll look for pots etc....

I would like to mount the pickup without the ring. If the mounting holes end up being too close to the opening, the pickup ring will add extra chrome & work as a “Goof Ring”.

Years ago I bought a complete NOS Hobbit control plate just to get a replacement plastic plate. All of the parts for this project could come from this assembly.  I would rather buy the few components I need if they aren’t made of “unobtainium” and leave this assembly in tact.........

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:35:44 PM by Grog »

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 12:31:06 AM »
When a suitable donor is available, I will attempt the transplant. In the mean time, I’ll look for pots etc....

I would like to mount the pickup without the ring. If the mounting holes end up being too close to the opening, the pickup ring will add extra chrome & work as a “Goof Ring”.

Years ago I bought a complete NOS Hobbit control plate just to get a replacement plastic plate. All of the parts for this project could come from this assembly.  I would rather buy the few components I need if they aren’t made of “unobtainium” and leave this assembly in tact.........

Hmm, with that loZ ring/pickup it will actually improve the looks of this bass rather than ruin it - I'd say go!
It's no less tribute to Gibson with that look that's for sure!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 12:50:12 AM »
Have you considered using a lo-z guitar pickup for the transplant?
It is a bit smaller and that would perhaps look better on your bass with the chrome ring installed because it won't be as close to the edge of the pickguard.

They do work great for bass too!
And there's one for sale on Ebay now.
It's put up for sale as a bass pickup, but it''s really a guitar pickup. (a bass pickup would have eight wires)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Gibson-LES-PAUL-Bass-PICKUP-ORIGINAL/383452520513?hash=item59478d2041:g:adQAAOSw7MNeZDTP
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 12:58:58 AM by Basvarken »

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 07:23:39 AM »
The guitar pickup could be the ticket. It would take less modification & the ring just barely covers up the original pickup opening. The pot values are the same according to my parts list.

On a side note, I’m pretty sure we determined that the original LP Signature Bass with the cream colored oval pickup used the smaller guitar pickup.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 07:51:23 AM by Grog »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 10:35:20 AM »

On a side note, I’m pretty sure we determined that the original LP Signature Bass with the cream colored oval pickup used the smaller guitar pickup.

Yes I'm pretty sure about that.
The original cream colored oval pickup had only two wires. And not eight.
The impedance selector is not a coil tap that chooses the amount of windings on the pickup. But a switch that chooses the values of a built in impedance transformer.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 11:55:46 AM »
This eBay seller has this pick guard that he claims is from a 2009 to 2012 Les Paul Jr Tribute Bass. To the best of my recollection, there wasn't  model like this until 2019. I sent the seller a message. He said that it was from a 2009-2012 but he is pretty sure the pick guards have stayed exactly the same since then.  It looks the same to me.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Genuine-Original-USA-Gibson-Les-Paul-Jr-Tribute-Bass-Guitar-Pickguard/283624862774?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 01:13:41 PM »
he is mistaken.This pickguard is only featured on the 2019 LP jr Tribute DC bass. And no other.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 01:36:26 PM »
We will see, I just bought it. If I never find a suitable project bass, I can still modify mine & keep the original electronics in tact. I like the bass the way it is now & would rather modify another.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 08:11:20 PM »
It's the correct guard for your bass.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 01:23:55 PM »
It’s a match!