Author Topic: Strings for Short scale  (Read 3419 times)

Hornisse

Re: Strings for Short scale
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 08:47:03 PM »
I used to really like the old Rotosound shortscale flats.  Very smooth and medium tension. 

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 06:37:08 AM »
Rotosound Jazz 77's?  I have them on a bass and like them.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Hornisse

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 04:28:02 PM »
I think that's what they were.  They had blue silks and were a lot smoother than the long scale flats.

JimmyBond8

• "You're so cute when you're stupid"
    • View Profile
    • The Afterwhiles - My Band
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 09:24:32 AM »
I've had the same problem locating short-scale strings local as everyone else. Usually, each shop might have 1 set. When my Dano Longhorn was my primary bass, I'd just buy or order 2 sets to keep myself for a bit should I get a break.

I've used D'Addario EXL and at some point I think I tried DR Strings, and Thomastik Roundwound.
I didn't notice a lot of difference between them other than the strings with a lot of cloth wrapping around the ends and top had trouble fitting into the bridge and tuners. They looked a little more snazzy but they were a pain to load.

I've mainly stuck with the D'Addario because of the cheaper price. Though I too would be interested to try the Rotosound Trubass just to see how they sound.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 09:31:06 AM »
fwiw

I tried the "regular" slinkies (cut them down)  105-50, on my Dano, and the added tension seemed to "cure" all of my bitches regarding the strings that were on it, and sounded really good.

Patman

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 08:17:26 AM »
There are plenty of short scale strings out there.  You can find them at juststrings.com.

Just from memory, Labella, GHS, D'Addario and Rotosound make short scale strings.

Problem is that you always have to mail order - local stores never carrry short scale strings...especially flats.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 03:42:19 AM »
I used S.I.T.  power flats on my last project which was  a short scale . I like them so far & the price is right.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 08:35:39 PM »
I've been using Smith round shorts on my Shorties for the last 3 years. I'm very impressed with their tone, consistancy and longevity.

I've got them on my Epi Allen Woody sig bass, Epi EB3 and Greg Bennett (Samick) ultra short scale P bass.
I can highly recommend bassguitarstrings.us. They have been excellent. Even refunded the difference in postage when it turned out cheaper than what they originally quoted which was already most reasonable.

http://www.bassguitarstrings.us/store/product.php?productid=16503&cat=346&page=1
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 09:14:51 PM »
I never knew Ken Smith offered short scale strings. I'll have to remember that if and when I get another shortie. I like the gauges.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 10:28:55 PM »
Dave, they correspond to the same gauges as GHS shorts. I'm almost sure they are just rebranded but at a much lower price. And as I alluded to before they last a long time even with regular sweaty use.
Digresion our specialty!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 10:47:47 PM »
a few months ago i bought a $40 broken in 2 Vantage Flying V bass  8)  30" scale.originaly i wanted to restore it but the ends of the V's were way smashed. and the crack was missing a lot of wood. so i epoxied the thing back together,used the same epoxy to build the ends back up and covered the whole thing in tons of well placed skate stickers.and like 20 coats of polyurethane (so they don't peel up).yeah it's a little cheesey and juvenille,but so am i. :mrgreen: anyway before i had a chance to try any short scale strings,my drummer gave me 2 sets of "Blue steels". i've tried these a few years ago and didn't like 'em. but on this bass with the 70's DiMarzio pup this thing kills.i can't belive how good it sounds and how easy it plays. they're 34" strings cut down. but they work fine and i have a spare set.now i need a case. i really like the short scale.

'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

nofi

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 06:22:40 AM »
wow, juvenile or not i like that bass. v's were made for that sort of finish.