Author Topic: GB Service  (Read 2579 times)

morrow

• View Profile
GB Service
« on: September 04, 2020, 06:15:25 AM »
I still have a GenzBenz Streamliner and am thinking of getting it serviced . It was designed by Andy Field and apparently he is still servicing them so I think I should take advantage of that . I do love that amp . Warm , dark , and tubey , or you can run it clean . 900 watts , shit ton of headroom . 

Anybody here had him do work ? I've heard his turnaround is usually surprisingly fast .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: GB Service
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 10:02:35 AM »
That must be the gent on TalkBass called @Agedhorse who does G-B service.  He was one of the G-B amp designers and he has a solid rep. I've seen him referred to as Andy a few times.

If it's the same guy, every word I've seen about him is positive.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 02:05:15 PM »
Yes , Andy Field is Aged Horse . He's legend .
He did much of the amp design at GenzBenz including the Streamliner and Shuttle lines . After Fender aquired GenzBenz he helped with the Rumble series and then moved to Mesa to design the Subway series . His new TT 800 looks like a breakthrough amp . He continues to service the amps he designed for Genz Benz because he believes in the legacy of his designs .
I suspect the Streamliner was the inspiration for the "Boogie" channel of the TT 800 .
It should be like a brand new amp after he's gone through it .
Putting it in the post Tuesday morning . It will take some time to get there as I live in Halifax and am shipping to California . Andy says his turnaround is usually 48 hours .
My main gigging amp these days is a Bergantino head , but I do have a love for that Streamliner !

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 08:32:43 PM »
Agreed. I consider my GB Shuttle to be a lifetime purchase.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 07:46:45 AM »
Some friends that have sent amps to him have checked in and said that it's like having a brand new amp after he's done the work .
Got it in the mail this morning .

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 04:09:55 PM »
That was quick . It's said to be out for delivery !

(Edit)

... and it's arrived ! I hope it survived the two postal systems it was subjected to . It arrived faster than I expected it to .

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 05:33:34 PM by morrow »

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 06:18:04 AM »
Service charge $85 . Shipping $52 .

It's done , and will be on the way back . It should be like a brand new amp !  I love this amp enough to invest in it , and would tell anybody that uses and loves GenzBenz amps that Andy will service them himself !
Take advantage of his service ... however , there is one catch . If he finds that somebody has attempted repairs previously he will charge for undoing and fixing the bad attempt at repair . Thankfully , my amp was unmolested and everything was done under the flat rate .
Now to see how long it takes to return !

Edit

"Amp's all done, changed the LEDs and found that it needed a factory update and some other maintenance items, but that's all covered under the flat rate $85."

I can't wait to see it back . Looks like we might get a hurricane next week so I'm hoping we'll have power when the amp returns !

« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:54:35 AM by morrow »

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 10:46:16 AM »
Service charge $85 . Shipping $52 .

It's done , and will be on the way back . It should be like a brand new amp !  I love this amp enough to invest in it , and would tell anybody that uses and loves GenzBenz amps that Andy will service them himself !
Take advantage of his service ... however , there is one catch . If he finds that somebody has attempted repairs previously he will charge for undoing and fixing the bad attempt at repair . Thankfully , my amp was unmolested and everything was done under the flat rate .
Now to see how long it takes to return !

"Amp's all done, changed the LEDs and found that it needed a factory update and some other maintenance items, but that's all covered under the flat rate $85."

I can't wait to see it back . Looks like we might get a hurricane next week so I'm hoping we'll have power when the amp returns !

Nice so for $137 you have a new amp!

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 06:03:14 AM »
One that I'm very familiar with  ! It must be about fifteen years old now so I'm really happy to have it checked out by the guy that designed it . I gotta say Andy was a pleasure to deal with . It's funny how you bond with an amp , and now that bond is a little deeper . It's a good feeling to look after the things one loves .
It will be interesting to see if I notice any differences .
I've been using a Forte as my stage rig , it's about the opposite of the Liner . Simple clean transparent power but I'll definitely do some gigs with the GB again when it arrives . They're such different amps .

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 10:28:26 AM »
That's awesome to hear, congrats!

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 09:20:13 AM »
And it's back ! He replaced several things , and does not charge for parts , flat rate of $85 .
It's like a brand new amp . Fast turnaround .
So if anyone is still using GenzBenz amps , Andy Field is the guy to go to . Unless somebody has done hack repair work in the amp ... then it can be expensive . But if your amp is unmolested , the flat rate stands .
It might be getting a little older , but it's still a great little amp !  Well , small sized . It's a 900 watt powerhouse . And kicks some serious ass .
I'm really happy to have invested in it .