Author Topic: Breaking Deep Purple News? Chile in Time!!!  (Read 15338 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Breaking Deep Purple News? Chile in Time!!!
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2015, 07:46:51 AM »
Vinnie Moore's Mike Varney/Shrapnel/Guitar Institute of Technology-acrobatices ruined every song, the guy is unable to even remotely emulate Schenker's lyrical melodicism and his rhythm playing has none of Schenker's musicality either.

That's too bad. I hadn't really heard him with UFO (or anywhere else really). This past Sunday I saw a great DVD of MSG circa 1981. Pretty great stuff! Lot's of UFO material, and a great band with UFO's Paul Raymond on keys and rhythm, and Cozy Powell on drums.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2015, 08:13:00 AM »
Congratulations, Uwe.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2015, 09:12:58 AM »
What have I done wrong now? You already congratulated earlier in this thread to my rectal afflictions and/or marital changes!  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2015, 09:15:26 AM »

If it feels good, do it!  :-*
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2015, 10:22:45 AM »
What have I done wrong now? You already congratulated earlier in this thread to my rectal afflictions and/or marital changes!  :mrgreen:

Ha ha! My first thought when I heard the RRHOF news was not, "Wonderful! Will Richie need new hose," But, "Awesome! I'll bet this will make Uwe's year!"

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2015, 01:14:54 PM »
Uwe's acting as if he hasn't heard the RRHOF news.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2015, 10:15:59 PM »
I certainly thought he would have commented when he realized that only the current incarnation was being honored...
 :popcorn:
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
Are you insinuating DP have finally made it there? I don't believe it. And how uncool. 8)

Oh my, "Big Ian" (Gillan) is already being difficult about it:

"Dear Friends, Families and Fans,

Putting the past shenanigans to one side, the induction is not – in clear fact – for Deep Purple.

It is an arbitrary selection of past members, which excludes Steve Morse and Don Airey; both of whom have been with the living breathing DP for a very long time.

Obviously this is very silly, and so my response is quite simple: ‘Thank you very much’.

And….what a coincidence…This morning I got an invitation to a wedding from some dear old friends. Unfortunately my family was not invited and they said that I would be required to sit next to my ex (we divorced decades ago) at the wedding feast.

They were shocked when I called to thank them and decline the invitation.

Cheers,

Ian Gillan"

And "Little Ian" (Paice) is as usual diplomatic and hedging his bets.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/deep-purples-ian-paice-on-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-induction-at-last-20151217

With not all members inducted, it's gonna be a can of worms. Kiss all over.

George, thanks for your congratulations, I just had no idea! I only learned now, I'm still digesting.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 10:54:28 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2015, 12:27:15 PM »
Better late than never, this is what I posted at The Highway Star:

Oh my – into the fire … A can of worms. So they have basically inducted the three line ups that featured the Lord-Paice-Blackmore triumvirate, i.e. Mk I-III, and I can see the logic in that. Mk 1 was the foundation (I don’t think there would have ever been a Machine Head if “Hush” had died a death in the US charts in 1968), Mk II were the creators of a certain sound and Mk III administered MK II’s legacy and crowned it with the California Jam event. I’m happy that Nic Simper gets some credit – I’m sure it means a lot to him – and Rod Evans (if he was around), Jon has to watch from somewhere else.

My preference would have been to have later (Bolin and Turner) and current members nominated too (Morse and Airey). I’m a fan, there is no Deep Purple line up that I dislike (yup, I even think that Slaves & Masters is a worthy effort and the second Hammersmith night I saw with JLT was a good gig).

But, let’s face it, Purple are getting inducted for their past of In Rock, Machine Head and Made in Japan and possibly Burn and Perfect Strangers, not for Come Taste the Band (one of my all-time favorite Purple albums, but hardly known outside of Purple-ite circles) or Purpendicular and Now What?! (two albums I love as well, but unlike the Mk II output not riding high on the contemporary waves of public delight – back in the 70ies, almost any record-buying home would have an Mk II album somewhere). For the record: If it wasn’t for Morse and Airey, current Purple wouldn’t have any new music to play and I really like what they do for the band. [Though Airey meanwhile has a dominance live with DP that makes them sound a bit like ELP with a guest guitarist in places! ; – ) ]

Big Ian’s comments are of (still) emotional nature and, by the way, if you divorced your wife several decades ago, you should be able to sit beside her today. My wife and I are both into our second marriage and had our ex-spouses at our wedding party (and they both honored us with their presence).

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2015, 12:49:41 PM »
Finally bought a copy of Fireball to celebrate....

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2015, 01:52:20 PM »
That album - Gillan's favorite - has grown on me over the decades. It used to be my least favorite of the Mk II 70ies era (not too many immediate scorcher riffs on it), but nowadays I appreciate its experimental, even psychedelic character. In Rock was more no-holds-barred, Machine Head more accessible and polished and Who Do We Think We Are more sophisticated/refined with a pop/Beatles slant in the melodies, but Fireball was just off-the-wall in a good way. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 04:59:44 AM by uwe »

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2015, 02:24:12 PM »
Growing up we used to listen to it through an old (read ancient) Fender deluxe amp...it was my high school group of friends favorite Deep Purple album...

Fireball

"Meddle" by Pink Floyd

the first "Soft Machine" album...

over and over and over...

Of course "Machine Head" was cool for a couple of years.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2015, 07:48:03 PM »
One would be hard pressed to find any DP album (MKII on) that wasn't good. Yeah, even House Of Blue Light, which gets no love in some quarters. Personal fave? In Rock, because it made such a definitive statement.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2015, 01:00:04 AM »
Better late than never, this is what I posted at The Highway Star:

I think you captured it perfectly in your post, Uwe. It's too bad that the organization which oversees this bestowal of "honors" does so in such a ham-handed manner almost every year.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2015, 05:06:08 AM »
One would be hard pressed to find any DP album (MKII on) that wasn't good. Yeah, even House Of Blue Light, which gets no love in some quarters. Personal fave? In Rock, because it made such a definitive statement.

I really like House of Blue Light! It's brimming with good ideas though the execution was a bit stiff in places (Perfect Strangers was a more safe and conservative album). The Purple guys disown it today because internal band communication had already gone pear-shaped by then again with Blackmore and Gillan being at their usual loggerheads, it was an unhappy album for them. So was Who Do We Think We Are, but I thought that had great melodic songwriting. Unhappy albums aren't always bad ones.