Author Topic: Breaking Deep Purple News? Chile in Time!!!  (Read 15339 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Breaking Deep Purple News? Chile in Time!!!
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2015, 08:37:01 AM »
Machine Head is probably the only DP album I have. I like it...has my favorite DP cuts on it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2015, 09:07:32 AM »
Machine Head is probably the only DP album I have. I like it...has my favorite DP cuts on it.

You've almost certainly short-changed yourself.
I think that with Deep Purple (more so than most other bands), there is a great wealth of deep cuts on all of their albums. You miss any of them, and you're probably missing at least 2 or 3 great songs on each. I first discovered "Black Night" on an import (in the US) compilation called "Powerhouse" as a live track. The change in styles with each incarnation of the band alone is reason enough to become a completist. Playing In Rock and Stormbringer back to back will have you cocking your head at an angle like a dog, saying "What just happened here?". 
Purple music aside, another absolute essential is the original cast album of Jesus Christ Superstar, where Ian Gillan turns in a vocal performance for the ages.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2016, 11:19:52 AM »
Well, apparently Mr Turner is none-to-happy about this announcement.  Maybe they'll find a way to make up before the shows.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/joe-lynn-turner-blasts-ritchie-blackmore-rainbow-comeback-the-fans-deserve-better-than-a-cover-band/#kmcKwSwgFmh4XvCu.99

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2016, 01:06:25 PM »
Alas!, that's so pure Joe. His opened mouth is best when it's singing, not talking.

It's all sour grapes and hurt vanity: The new Chilean singer got the job in the same way as Joe was invited to Rainbow back in 1980/1: As an unknown from an unsuccesful previous band background, solely on the strength of his singing, not on what he had done before or where he came from. It's how Blackmore nearly always picked his musicians. In that regard, the new "Rainbow"-line up is wholly consistent with previous ones. Cozy Powell and Roger Glover were the only "name" muscians that Blackmore ever invited to join Rainbow. Powell got the job on the basis of his good looks and his energetic drumming (plus that Blackmore was a Jeff Beck Group nut), Glover because Blackmore knew and rated him from Purple days (where Roger had been hired as an unknown who came piggyback with Ian Gillan). It was actually Graham Bonnet who put it to Blackmore that they should complete the line up with Roger Glover as the bassist who up to this point had only produced and played bass (in the absence of a bass-playing band member) on the "Down to Earth"-sessions.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2016, 08:34:08 PM »
Let me get this straight --  a guy who doesn't own the band and who wasn't an original member tries to work out his own return with Blackmore's manager and thinks that entitles him to a position? And he's shocked that he's turned down?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2016, 06:01:53 AM »
Dave, he's a wop from New Joisie, does that explain things?  :mrgreen:

To give ole Joe credit:

- He's a fine singer in his somewhat less than idiosyncratic AOR mode. Unfortunately, Lou Gramm was there before him.

- He was a member of the third major Rainbow line up that lasted with him from 1980 to 1984 (longer than all the others), which in Rainbow-terms is decades. He did what he was asked to do for Blackmore, i.e. AORize Rainbow for the US market as the now so hallowed Dio line up of Rainbow had gone nowhere in the US (Blackmore was losing money with the venture), Blackmore had become tired being the opener for bands like REO Speedwagon, he wanted airplay, a not just all-male fanbase and no more dungeons and dragons.

Your disdain for stadium rock accepted, even you have probably heard those two:

That's Joe on both tracks and he was pivotal for that line up's particular music, co-writing most of it. He also had a spell with Deep Purple as their lead vocalist in the early 90ies, a period most DP-fans like to forget about, but that is unfair IMHO, Mk 5 didn't do bad music at all, it was just very Americanized:

Blackmore and Turner never fell out (though I have a hunch that Blackmore doesn't take him quite seriously, he once said he was "much like Glenn Hughes"), but Turner tends to be an over-eager puppy and talks too much.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:36:38 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2016, 09:16:50 PM »
No, I hadn't heard either of those Rainbow tracks. I wasn't implying any lack of talent on his part, he's just clueless if he doesn't understand how ridiculous his complaint sounds.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2016, 08:02:02 AM »
Uhum, "new music" (in Nofi speak: "pile of horse shite-only Uwe loves it-tired, outdated Euro hard rock schtick that just refuses to die") from Ritchie's new other Ronnie ...

Who sure has the style of the old Ronnie down pat. But not a bad singer. People always underestimate how much it takes to project a credible, dominant voice in a heavy rock/power metal setting, but this Ronnie doesen't seem to have too much an issue with it.

If that is already the influence of his new boss that he has to have castle maidens run around in this vid?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:17:19 AM by uwe »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2016, 01:46:57 AM »
So Uwe, tell us how were they?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2016, 10:37:03 AM »
 :popcorn:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2016, 03:10:02 PM »
Have I missed something significant...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2016, 08:44:36 AM »
The YouTubes that I saw showed an uninspired Blackmore.
Plus a singer with a good voice, but zero stage presence.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2016, 02:26:21 PM »
Have I missed something significant...?

Only Blackmore with Rainbow in Germany. Nothing Uwe would be interested in.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2016, 12:45:11 AM »
Ah...

I note he's AWOL again...

Could you imaging work commitments forcing him abroad when he has/had tickets for it... :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2016, 07:16:35 AM »
He's busy. I did let him know about Bill.