Author Topic: Duane Eddy …  (Read 15 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Duane Eddy …
« on: May 02, 2024, 08:54:34 AM »
Not forgotten by some …

”Just heard about the passing of the wonderful Duane Eddy who was my first guitar idol with songs like Rabble Rouser, Shazam, Some Kind Of Earthquake. I would always rush out and buy his long playing records. My favorite all time tune from him was The Lonely One.

He was a brilliant guitarist in his own right. He was the first guitar player with that deep bass sound which I loved. Unfortunately, I never saw him live, although I tried to see him playing on a couple of occasions. One particular time, when I was 12, I went to London airport to meet him. I sat there for hours waiting, so I could get a glimpse of him. After 2-3 hours, I asked the ground staff what time his plane would be in as it was obviously delayed. They told me his plane actually came in early and I missed him. That was my first of many futile attempts to see him. But I would play his music night and day.

He was very kind to me last year, because I had missed him on so many occasions, he sent me a Gretsch Guitar as a present for Christmas. I couldn’t believe it.

He will always be my number one inspiration from the time I took up the guitar until now. He was so unique in his playing.

The world has lost a great guitar player. A truly unique guitar player.

Our hearts are with Deed and his family.”

Credited to an unknown & irrelevant Brit former ‘stadium rock’ guitarist and now Long Island resident with later in life a penchant for tights - before I get accused again of letting all threads end (or begin!) in the inevitable!

RIPnRoll for the man who invented platform crowd surfing long before KISS …

« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 09:09:13 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Duane Eddy …
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 09:26:47 AM »
A man who created a distinctive sound that people fell in love with. Also closely linked by reverb to surf and artists like Link Wray.

R.I.P., Duane.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."