Author Topic: So my brother came in last week on vacation...  (Read 7274 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: So my brother came in last week on vacation...
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 04:09:55 PM »
I don't think any of the JAE/Peter Cook items are on display and they are unwilling to supply a copy of a picture of them... you can see pics on their site though... just kinda awkward... the TRC on the "Lightning-Bolt is a perfect reverse (white to black) of the one on my T'bird...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 12:38:09 AM »
A lot of the stuff is "on loan" from the actual musicians. And a LOT of it has nothing to do with the musicians, they just got them to autograph it. Like the 5 string Guild Pilot signed by Sting in Chicago.  :-\

Given that Tom Petersson is well associated with T-Birds and that's a very rare bass to start out with, I'd hope that he still claims it. If any of you on here can get in touch with him, I'd love to hear what he has to say about that bass and possibly liberating it from its display casket. The pickguard is signed Jan 18, 1998 for what I presume was the Philly grand opening. Ironically, I saw it one day before it turned 14 behind glass. I'm sure they can drum up some artifact from Korn or Crazy Town, but knowing my luck, they'd put Flea's Wal up there, and I'd have to steal it, just on priniciple. The T-Bird is a temping target enough, but I've been detrimentally honest for so long, I couldn't start a life of crime if my life depended on it; I'd just be too bad at it. (Been weighing career options lately.)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »
How many Bicentennial Birds has Tom owned anyway? I noticed this one the other day on The Swami's site -- he doesn't really say whether or not the finish is original -- and Dude at one time also had a green refin signed by Tom.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 06:58:58 PM »
Tom owns one unbroken Reverse T bird II and 3 unbroken T bird II's....2 were refin by Yours truly...the other NR is Left handed.... The rest...are 1960's reverse T bird II's headstock repairs...refins...custom paint jobs...He told me there is no difference in tone... But he's got the mike Lull signature bass..the Waterstone 12 strings...Now He's has a Electrical Guitar Company aluminum 12 string bass. he just orderd 4 of those...2 med scale and 2 long...Plus in his arsenal..a Vintage Hofner..57 P bass...about 10 basses.....
  But seriously...any instrument that is  or was owned by a so called celebrity...in my opinion...is not worth it..must be junk..or else...why would they get rid of it??

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 08:57:38 PM »
He's been known to lurk around here.....

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 09:17:10 PM »
Tom owns one unbroken Reverse T bird II and 3 unbroken T bird II's....2 were refin by Yours truly...the other NR is Left handed.... The rest...are 1960's reverse T bird II's headstock repairs...refins...custom paint jobs...He told me there is no difference in tone... But he's got the mike Lull signature bass..the Waterstone 12 strings...Now He's has a Electrical Guitar Company aluminum 12 string bass. he just orderd 4 of those...2 med scale and 2 long...Plus in his arsenal..a Vintage Hofner..57 P bass...about 10 basses.....
  But seriously...any instrument that is  or was owned by a so called celebrity...in my opinion...is not worth it..must be junk..or else...why would they get rid of it??

You saying my Embassy is junk?  Hey, it was even owned by TWO different celebrities.  Tom Petersson and Jon Brandt.  Seriously.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 09:50:14 PM »
One man's castoff is another's treasure. Works the same for celebrities as for anyone else.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 05:31:22 AM »
Hey Dudes....I'm not Insulting anyone, Ok? Capesh>>> I have Tom's Old Hamer Thunderbird 8 string, the only one EVER made in the world.....and Tom wants it back.......but you have to ask yourself...why did they get rid of it???? Possibly drug money????Boredom???? I personally go for an instrument because of what it is, how it sounds and how it plays...I don't care if Paul McCarthy from the Beatles owned it. If it sucks...it sucks...if it's good...it's good.... I hate celebrities...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 06:44:44 AM »
Baz considering how quick you go through basses I find this hysterical  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 07:00:38 AM »
Welll...dammit...this is supposed to be funny!!! I too go through basses like toilet paper...because I get some crazy bug up my ass and have to trade or have this so I can sound like this...etc....
    All I am saying...I don't EVER buy a bass because a famous asshole owned it.....Buy it because it what you want...in playability, sound, Look...feel...I hate celebrities.... Have a great day everyone!!!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 07:49:03 AM »
Welll...dammit...this is supposed to be funny!!! I too go through basses like toilet paper...because I get some crazy bug up my ass and have to trade or have this so I can sound like this...etc....
    All I am saying...I don't EVER buy a bass because a famous asshole owned it.....Buy it because it what you want...in playability, sound, Look...feel...I hate celebrities.... Have a great day everyone!!!

Can't argue with that.  The day I found my Embassy, it was one of FOUR hanging on the wall together.  The one I got just sounded so much better than the others.  To this day, I'm convinced that the pickups were rewound somehow.  It was only after I knew I wanted the bass that I found out the history on it.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »
Well good!!! I originally wanted my Candy Apple Red Hamer Thunderbird 8 string because it was a Thunderbird and it was a Hamer 8 string...I had read about it in a Hamer newsletter a year before... and at the time I WAS a HUGE fan of Tom Petersson.....Now I fancy myself....and a few dead guys.....anyway..the bass speaks for itself...And it is never leaving my hands...unless some one offers me an unbroken 1964 Thunderbird IV...or 2 Unbroken 1964 II's....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:19:45 PM by Baz Cooper »

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 08:42:42 AM »
What a Damn waste of an instrument...Shame Shame Shame......

Ummmm....I think "Ain't That A Shame" would be a more appropriate comment :)

Oh...BTW....As they were doing a zoom in to a news segment on Fox News last night, Cheap Trick's "Ain't That A Shame" cover was playing in the background and that fat guy Dem/recovering alcoholic they use (Bob Beckel or something) asks "Is that the Everly Brothers or Elvis?" Grrrrr.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 08:44:46 AM »

I've got some of your "toilet paper" and rather like it Baz.......... ;D

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 08:46:11 AM »
Stars buy and sell for the same reasons as the rest of us.  I don't rate the quality of an instrument by whether or not it's ever been celebrity owned. Buy it if the performer's music means a lot to you, buy it if you think it's a great instrument, just understand that the two aren't necessarily related.