Author Topic: My first efx pedal build  (Read 5101 times)

chromium

• View Profile
My first efx pedal build
« on: November 19, 2012, 02:42:46 PM »
I've been goofing around a bit with aluminum transfers and etching - trying to learn how to put graphics and labeling on enclosures.  At the same time, I've been experimenting with some overdrive circuits on breadboard... 

Both efforts finally converged into this:

Here's a quick soundclip of it at volume through my Orange/SVT:

Already working on another design.  This is kind of addicting!  ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: My first efx pedal build
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 03:02:24 PM »
Kit-Kat chunky... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:24:33 PM »
mmm gnarly.
Louder bass!.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:44:09 PM »
It sounds quite tasty thru my Genz/Peavey 4x12 rig too  :mrgreen:
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:36:37 AM »
sounds great.  a kit or just from  a schematic of the internet????
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:28:42 AM »
I like the sound.  Nice sound variations demo'd in the video, too.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 12:12:13 PM »
Yeah, that's awesome.
I'd like to find out more about you came to build that box.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 01:21:34 PM »
Thanks!  I actually built this one for Nokturnal/Andy as a b-day present (happy 29th, man!!).  He has long been a zombie movie aficionado, and so I thought some classic Night of the Living Dead graphics might be in order

This one was based on this schematic, and I built it on copper-clad prototyping board:
http://analogguru.an.ohost.de/193/schematics/Colorsound_ToneBender_RI.gif

The gain stage is copied pretty much verbatim, but I changed the tone circuit a bit.  The way it works is that the signal gets split and runs into both a low pass and high pass filter, and then the tone control balances between the two.  In the original, there is a much larger notch (sitting in the midrange) between the frequency points at which those filters begin to roll off.  I narrowed that notch to about a 1/4 of what it was, and the sound has more mids and more "grunt" as a result.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 03:03:55 AM »
Brilliant (pun intended)! Death to the living!!! :D
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 03:38:04 AM »
I'd forgotten that I'd built a small pre-amp circuit, even down to a custom etched board rather than "strips" and made it small enough to put into the original cavity of the PC - my original reason for minimising on the controls, so I could have the space to fit it... worked well enough during my metal days as it produced a rearl growl from the old original PC pups...

Long gone...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »
 :o Holy Crap I love that ! That sounds so f'ng cool, reminds me of Geezer. I really liked watching your pick technique, much like mine.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 12:58:44 PM »
:o Holy Crap I love that ! That sounds so f'ng cool, reminds me of Geezer. I really liked watching your pick technique, much like mine.

Thanks, Scott!  The Geezer thing is probably no coincidence - big Sabbath fan here.

I'm mostly a fingerstyle player out of habit, but still trying to correct that  8)  Half the time I can never find a pick, though, and so I end up doing what I did there - using my fingernail! 

I'm working on another, slightly more elaborate box now that will serve as a stereo bass overdrive and/or buffered splitter.  So rather than use a passive Ric-o-sound-type splitter, you can run a TRS (stereo) cable from a 4001/3, Magnum, etc... into it and add some grit independently to each pickup.  It'll then either mix the pickups together into a mono out, or let you send each pickup out of its own stereo output - to separate amps, or separate channels on a board. 

The overdrives will be roughly similar to that zombie fuzz above (but with switchable clipping diodes for different sounds), and each OD can be bypassed using those red-tipped switches (if I end up making more of these, the enclosure size will grow a bit to accommodate a pair of footswitches in place of the toggles). 

If used with a normal bass (mono), the blue switch at the bottom will selectively cascade the overdrives in series - so they can both chain together and process the mono signal.

I built that enclosure last week, and I still need to build up the final circuit on perfboard and finish the internals - hopefully this weekend.  I'll post some sound clips once I get it finished and have time to record it.

:toast:

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 10:49:46 PM »
Joe, both of these look great! Even though my Alembics are the only stereo basses I have on hand at the moment, I would be seriously tempted by the stereo box - if my 4003 lived with me on the left coast I'd order one in a heartbeat!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 05:23:11 AM »
I'd forgotten that I'd built a small pre-amp circuit, even down to a custom etched board rather than "strips" and made it small enough to put into the original cavity of the PC - my original reason for minimising on the controls, so I could have the space to fit it... worked well enough during my metal days as it produced a rearl growl from the old original PC pups...

Long gone...

What I was thinking those days, was building a preamp for my epi with gibby tb pups, with an active-passive switch ofcourse. I think it would sound devastating!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 08:51:23 AM »
Joe, both of these look great! Even though my Alembics are the only stereo basses I have on hand at the moment, I would be seriously tempted by the stereo box - if my 4003 lived with me on the left coast I'd order one in a heartbeat!

Thanks!  I wired up the enclosure last weekend, but I'm still using it with the circuit on breadboard (temporary/prototyping).  Playing around with different overdrive voicing for the neck and bridge pickups, and making some other improvements.  I think I have a manageable approach to building some enclosures (vinyl labels on powdercoated enclosures, buried in clear, buffed out), and if all goes well I might get some boards printed for both a mono and stereo version.  We'll see...

Long gone...
What I was thinking those days, was building a preamp for my epi with gibby tb pups, with an active-passive switch ofcourse. I think it would sound devastating!

That would be a cool project.  That old BC Rich I picked up has a great sounding, simple little 2N5088-based pre and varitone circuit on a board...

I'm still really green at it, but I've done a couple projects with software called KiCAD and like it a lot.  It'll let you draw up your circuit, run tests/simulations, and layout the printed circuit board artwork (...and its all open source!):
http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/KiCad+EDA+Software+Suite

Places like PCBCart can take those files and run off the boards for you, or you can just use them to do the print/toner-mask/etch/drill on your own.