Author Topic: Use of Compressor in Live Settings?  (Read 5043 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Use of Compressor in Live Settings?
« on: September 12, 2010, 02:44:49 PM »
My not-so-elaborate live setup in recent time has consisted of this:

Bass -> Alembic F-2B -> 200w Orange head (DI'd into PA) -> SVT cab

Recently, the band I play with (typical 60s-00s rock and r&b stuff) had one of their shows recorded.  They have a nice live sound setup and sound guy as part of the group (really helps!!), and it came out decent.  During mixing later on, the guy put a subtle touch of compression (using some virtual comp in the computer) on the bass and it really brought it out in the mix - sounded powerful!

Got me curious as to whether any of you folks use compression in your live setups at all for this purpose?  I tend to prefer a setup that is not very "fiddly", not big on using effects in these settings, and so I just haven't experimented with it much.

My alter ego is really into electronic music, and I've been eyeballing a compressor to use whilst recording my modular synth setup - the FMR "Really Nice Compressor" (RNC) - which comes highly recommended by that crowd for its price and transparency.  I notice they also offer a leveling amp that might be nice to use for this particular bass application, and a combo of the two units in a rack (I'd prefer a racked solution).  I wondered if anyone here has tried their stuff?

http://www.mercenary.com/realniccom.html     <- the compressor
http://www.mercenary.com/fmrrnrnileam.html   <- the leveling amp
http://www.mercenary.com/1fmrrncand1f.html  <- the combo of the two that I'm thinking about trying

I'd value any insight into your use of compression on the bass in live sound settings.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
Re: Use of Compressor in Live Settings?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:19:14 PM »
I use a touch of compressor (Aphex Punch Factory) live any time I am not using a tube amp (I like the natural compression that my V4BH head has).  I've been doing so for about 7 years now.  I like the subtleness of the Aphex, because when it is on you can't really hear any obvious compression, so I don't realise how much impact it has on my sound unless I switch it off to compare.

The RNC is supposed to be really nice too.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 07:42:58 AM »
+1 on the Punch Factory. For a long time I was not a fan of using a compressor in my signal path, knowing the sound guy is going to compress everything anyway. But the fact that I often like to switch basses during a set, and I also use some effects, having a touch of compression is nice. I used a little Bellari tube comp for quite a while, then switched to the Aphex so I could have everything self-contained on my pedal board. VERY subtle.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:50:30 AM »
Would a T-rex compressor be good for bass? This one:

http://t-rex-effects.com/Default.aspx?ID=2&ProductID=PROD5&VariantID=

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 11:57:19 AM »
My alter ego is really into electronic music, and I've been eyeballing a compressor to use whilst recording my modular synth setup - the FMR "Really Nice Compressor" (RNC) - which comes highly recommended by that crowd for its price and transparency.  I notice they also offer a leveling amp that might be nice to use for this particular bass application, and a combo of the two units in a rack (I'd prefer a racked solution).  I wondered if anyone here has tried their stuff?

For a synth, you'll need a better compressor than what you're looking at. The FMR isn't flexible enough.  I'd recommend a dbx 166, 166XL or 1066: more money, but well worth it. Pedal compressors are too limited for synths.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 05:59:38 PM »
Thanks for the info all.  Yeah for the bass solution, I'm just looking for something *very* subtle like the way you guys described using them.  The Aphex and T-rex pedals look neat!  I'm still trying to resist/avoid a pedalboard at this point, though...

Well I ended up grabbing both the RNLA and RNC today (both used- the former was on ebay for $185, and the latter popped up today in the modular forum for sale section for $100), and I'll pick up that rack face from Mercenary that holds both of 'em...  Figure I can try them both for some different applications, and at least I'll be able to sell them for what I got in them if they don't work out for me...

For a synth, you'll need a better compressor than what you're looking at. The FMR isn't flexible enough.  I'd recommend a dbx 166, 166XL or 1066: more money, but well worth it. Pedal compressors are too limited for synths.

I have a feeling I'll be experimenting with some others in that space, maybe upgrade (or add) down the road.  Those DBX units you mentioned, Valley People Dynamite, and ART Pro VLA II seem to come recommended as well in this price range. 

My only point of reference so far are the LA-2A and 1176 plugins that I've been using on a UAD card.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 09:36:58 PM »
My only point of reference so far are the LA-2A and 1176 plugins that I've been using on a UAD card.

There are a few 'sleeper' high end hardware compressors out there that are still somewhat attainable. My favorite is the Amek 9098, which was designed by Rupert Neve.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 10:54:38 PM »
There are a few 'sleeper' high end hardware compressors out there that are still somewhat attainable. My favorite is the Amek 9098, which was designed by Rupert Neve.

I was admiring these 1176 clone kits - http://hairballaudio.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22.  I could build one of those, but looking at the Mouser cart there looks to be a handful of backordered parts I'd have to run down elsewhere.  Still, he provides most of the the tricky to find stuff - and the enclosures look beautiful!  Probably complete overkill for me, but I've never let that stop me before!  

I've still been looking at rack comps all night .  Might end up trying a DBX also - they're not bad at all pricewise (many going ~100-ish on ebay).  I found a couple things to sell to fund this little experiment... figure I can try a few, keep what sticks, resell what doesnt...

FWIW if it helps anyone, here's a neat link I found comparing lots and lots of compressors for bass use:   http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml.  Good place to kill a few hours...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 11:32:04 PM »
@Psycho- do you have any experiences with the JBL/UREI 7110/7112 family of compressors?

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 08:44:39 AM »
I don't use compression but our soundman does, he puts some on the bass channel of the board. I don't know what brand it is as he has a huge rack of stuff and he does such a great job I just leave him to his devices.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 08:28:52 PM »
I do often use a touch of compression live for a couple reasons:

* helps me hear my notes clearly through the wall of noise without having to play deafeningly loud

* it compensates a little for erratic dynamics due to my live technique being twice as sloppy as rehearsal technique :)

* most importantly, as a result of those, my comfort level goes up a little, I can relax and just play

I've been using the EBS Multicomp pedal for a few years. Wish it had adjustable attack but otherwise it's quite good.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 05:48:22 AM »
@Psycho- do you have any experiences with the JBL/UREI 7110/7112 family of compressors?

..not in ages, and from what I remember, they're more for studio color (distortion) than clean dynamic management. They put a little 'hair' on your sound.  I use a Trace Elliot Dual SMX pedal as a front-end for my VR400 power amp but mostly for a level boost with only the slightest bit of of low end compression and a little bit more for the highs. The main thing I get from the pedal is level and eq balance. Since I play tube amps, I don't need much in the way of processors live.

If you're playing live, especially with a s/s amp and DI to the PA, compression is your friend. BTW, the ART is NOT a good compressor; it's very noisy. Some others to consider are Rane and Symetrix, which being not as well known, can sometimes be real bargains used. Presonus also makes some really nice compressors, and Aphex's Compellor and Dominator are industry standards for pro monitor rigs.

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 07:27:11 AM »
Highly rec. the Demeter compressor. Just a little black box w/ 1 footswitch and 2 knobs. Simple and subtle, it lives on my pedalboard w/ a tuner and a bassbones pre. No squish, and it stays on all the time.
Fleet Guitars

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 07:57:21 AM »
laugh if you must but i use a little danelectro 'surf and turf' compressor. works perfectly to even out string output on sonetimes pesky abg.
cost was 4.00 used. been using it for years with no problems. i liked it so much i bought a spare. ;)

if you have a noisy distortion pedal running a compression box next to it will solve that problem. my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:38:26 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 01:26:09 PM »
I messed around with compression when the RD's Moog circuit was working but haven't tried anything since getting back to playing (and the Moog's long, looong gone)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...