Author Topic: Uwe's new Explorer - Review  (Read 3080 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Uwe's new Explorer - Review
« on: January 01, 2012, 03:17:44 PM »

Hi all!
 Just thought I'd post some thioughts about the new Explorer that Uwe is graciously letting visit Seattle before making it's way to ze Fatherland (Yes, they'll be in Germany!)
 First, it's big - Like Thunderbird size but the body is thicker and has a very solid feel to it, using one of my straps adjusted for a 'Bird I found the bass comfortable on my shoulder at about 10lbs and that while the headstock is small the neck will seek level if you let go. Shortening the strap really didn't change this either and I'm a bit surprised by it since the fin on the upper 'bout is so big, for me it would not be an issue because of how my right arm arm and hand rest on the bass when I'm playing - the headstock is smaller than a modern 'Bird. I found the neck to be a pretty comfy fit for my smallish hands, not quite as much taper from the high to low frets as a 'Bird, but same width at the nut and just a bit thicker in crosssection. With good reason we and others have slagged Gibson on QC, but this bass is really nice, the finish is flawless and nicely done, I've looked it over very carefully and found no bad spots - It just doesn't photograph too well, anyway, the craftsmanship on this example is notably good - Kudos Gibson! The factory set up is certainly acceptable even to my fussiness, were I picking this bass up and playing it in a store I'd be favorably impressed, a few small adjustments to suit my hands and I'd be happy. Fret ends are dressed nicely and all appear well seated too. So I finally had sometime to really enjoy playing this bass - what a pleasant surprise! Since I'm primarily a pick player I started there, with everything dimed using a .73 Dunlop the bass has a great tone - Think of  The Fixx on "Red Sky at Night".  The position of the neck pup gives it a nice bass tone without mudiness, while the bridge pup tends to accentuate upper mids. Soloing the pups with a pick left me knowing I'd never just use the bridge pup - too thin, not enough bass, a bit of the neck pup is needed for a useful tone. The neck pup solo'd was a nice surprise with good usable tone and variation based on hand placement, note decay is almost 7ender like, I suspect the set neck may have something to do with that too. Overall with a pick I like this bass a lot. I'm not much of a fingerstyle player, with the band only two songs require it, at home however I make it a point to keep my chops and strength up so I tried the bass seated on a stool with the lower bout on my right leg, it's very comfortable and handles well. I found that backing off the neck pup a little gave a nice tone and again a bit quicker note decay and the neck pup solo'd was again very pleasing, full rounded tone and good variations can be had by shifting your right hand position.

So what didn't I like? Well, first the mixed black and chrome hardware, I don't know the reasons since the bass  could be done all one way or the other as Gibson is doing the chrome TB Plus, or conversly all black. I also think a pickgaurd would look great too, along with a pup selector switch . For most I think the bass's limitations would be based on it's outward appearance - it may not look like it belongs at church or country gig.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:18:02 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Uwe's new Explorer - Review
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 03:39:56 PM »
what about neck dive?

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 03:42:30 PM »
what about neck dive?

What? Are we on TB?  ;D

It does as I said seek level - For me no issue because of my playing style.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 04:56:16 PM »
Wow, I hope I find one once...

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 06:57:01 PM »
I too think it odd that the hardware is chrome and black.  One or the other I say, preferably chrome on this one IMHO.
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 11:04:45 PM »
I second (or third) it on the chrome...... Great review on a unique bass!
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 04:16:06 AM »
"Are we on TB?" - LOL!!!

Thanks for the detailed review - you should really freelance at Bass Player, Mark! -, sounds like it is a sensible rock bass then and that is really all an Explorer can aspire to be, no one will play it outside of a rock context anyhow.

All long or medium scale Explorers level out horizontally (but not more than that), but the upper rear "fin" holds the bass at an angle if you are a pick player and rest your arm there.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 06:52:35 AM »
I was really thinking about this one, but went with a Rick 4003...I think this would have underwhelmed me.  I wish it was a trans cherry or something too.  Still kinda neat tho.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 08:53:48 AM »
I too think it odd that the hardware is chrome and black.  One or the other I say, preferably chrome on this one IMHO.

Probably just another case of Gibson using what they have more of in the parts bin.

Consistent inconsistency should be the motto of Gibson's bass department, except that they don't have a bass department.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 09:06:33 AM »

What? Are we on TB?  ;D

Come on. If it were TB he would have asked if it would be good for metal. ;D

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 10:05:07 AM »
I guess I should of asked how bad is the neck dive & if it sounds muddy

;D

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 12:07:43 PM »

I think you mean "teh metals"  ;D

I'd freelance at BP but they'd send me all those 7enders to review...........I can't stoop that low anymore  ;)
This is a very nice bass, good QC and several very nice tones that are easily dialed up. I'll do something similar with the RD later this week

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 02:39:19 PM »

No. On TB, the question would have been, 'Iz it cul lik my kstm Warwick inz my dethemospeedpunkindie band.'
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:15:00 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 06:36:42 PM »

I think you mean Wankwick  :rolleyes:

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 05:36:45 AM »
I like that...... "Wankwick!!!" Those basses are WAY overrated.