Poll

Now, why don't you like it?

Nothing good ever came after the bar bridge, intonation is for girls!
2 (2.7%)
Chrome yes, but a three point?
13 (17.6%)
I don't like it because it is short scale. That said, had it been long scale I wouldn't have liked it either for lack of historical accuracy. I like to be difficult.
10 (13.5%)
Everything in the old days was better.
9 (12.2%)
Gibson shouldn't be making basses, full stop.
3 (4.1%)
I'm with Uwe, won't change the world, but nice try and a cute bow to the past.
26 (35.1%)
This color totally rawks, way to go dude!!!
7 (9.5%)
Pelham what?
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Bash the new Gibson Bass!!!  (Read 33317 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Bash the new Gibson Bass!!!
« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2011, 04:15:48 AM »
I have to say that I've never seen a new Thunderbird in a store anywhere around here and I always looks

Best Buys carry them

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 31, 2011, 07:48:21 AM »
Best Buys carry them

Not around here, unfortunately.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2011, 12:53:42 AM »
Best Buys carry them

They'll have three or four of the same Epi-birds you can find in any GC and maybe one sunburst Gibson hanging on the very top row, 15 feet up and well out of reach.

Chaser001

« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2011, 05:36:05 AM »
I looked and didn't see any Gibsons for sale online on Best Buy.  I'm sure this must be limited to stores in various places that only sell them directly from a store and they aren't even listed online.  The Best Buy close to me rarely has anything I want and might as well not exist. 

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2011, 05:47:38 AM »
They'll have three or four of the same Epi-birds you can find in any GC and maybe one sunburst Gibson hanging on the very top row, 15 feet up and well out of reach.

Yeah thats the way our stores are. They are the stores with the separate mini guitar center - like store inside.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Brands/null/pcmcat234900050002.c?id=pcmcat234900050002

Funny, but they do not show up on the search as you said, but I know they have them there. I go there all the time.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2011, 06:27:45 AM »
It could be a web non-compete that GC got Gibson to go with. Lord knows Gibson will do anything it can to keep from having to waste all that fine illegal wood they have on a bass.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2011, 08:19:03 AM »
It could be a web non-compete that GC got Gibson to go with. Lord knows Gibson will do anything it can to keep from having to waste all that fine illegal wood they have on a bass.

Since they revamped their policy about online sales maybe 4-5 years ago, they've strictly limited it to a handful of stores. It's not just GC and related stores (MF, Music 123) but they're by far the biggest and they're not going to jeopardize that.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 08, 2011, 09:55:25 AM »

I'm surprised that no one made one here yet?

Just hung up from talking with Curt. He is working on a custom pup for a build like this that looks like what a Gibby P90 bass pup should look like.

I'll let you know how it works in the projects threads. All I can say at the moment is basically an early type Tele humbucker dual coil pup (if that makes sense) with a fat wire wind in a 4 hole dog ear cover. Maybe a bottom Alnico magnet instead of pole magnets (still undecided). Prolly at least August before anything gets made. Covers are on order.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #173 on: June 08, 2011, 12:01:07 PM »
That one looks much better than Gibson's but the pup is in the wrong position and why it should look like a guitar pickup is beyond me...I thought we were BASS players.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2011, 03:09:47 AM »
Because it looks great ?  :mrgreen: The Eastwood P90 PUPs sound awesome BTW .....
Experience is the ultimate teacher

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2011, 04:37:04 AM »
That one looks much better than Gibson's but the pup is in the wrong position and why it should look like a guitar pickup is beyond me...I thought we were BASS players.

Actually it's because we are Bass Guitar Players. I like the Les Paul guitar looking pickups on my money bass, and the Rick is good in that respect too. As for placement: different from the Mudbucker position, but that's not a bad thing.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2011, 05:13:34 AM »
Because it looks great ?  :mrgreen: The Eastwood P90 PUPs sound awesome BTW .....
Actually it's because we are Bass Guitar Players. I like the Les Paul guitar looking pickups on my money bass, and the Rick is good in that respect too. As for placement: different from the Mudbucker position, but that's not a bad thing.

Well said, mea culpa.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2011, 05:53:04 AM »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 15, 2011, 06:31:13 AM »
gibson prices on their newer stuff never ceases to amaze me. seems like they are exploiting their niche market.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:07:17 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #179 on: July 15, 2011, 06:39:50 AM »
 I picked one up for Uwe I'll get some pictures up soon.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird