Author Topic: Suppose you wanted to get a replacement for your (long-lost) first bass...?  (Read 3333 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
How much is the most you would be willing to pay if she were just a copy, just to have one back in the herd...?

I'm watching one; first time I've ever seen one come up for sale; really obscure Japanese brand...

Seriously conflicted here... :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hornisse

Well, my first one was one of those old plywood Kingston basses.  I bought it originally for $50 and I paid $100 for one a few years ago. 

Highlander

• View Profile
All I have left is the name-plate off mine - I experimented on her - the experiments failed...

I guess it's a guilt complex...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Mine was a Canora EB3 copy. I'll pass thanks Ken. In fact if you find one......... dont call me.  ;D
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
But mine isn't long-lost...it's my '63 P.

To answer your question, I would never pay the silly money that 63 P's are bringing today - they're not worth it if you're going to play them instead of hanging them in a display case.  I have a 2000 MIM Jazz that's every bit as good an instrument.  IMO they're making them as well today as they ever have.  If I had lost the P, I'd most likely buy a good-playing MIM and call it good.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
kay les paul clone with one pup ,  short scale.  After i bought my first p bass in 1972 my loser brother in law borrowed it ,  never to be seen again....  both :mrgreen:

few years ago got  one close to it off feebay,  but not the one....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
My Vox violin bass with tone like hitting wet cardboard? Not one red cent.

nofi

• View Profile
my 60 dollar univox is now selling at 400. no thanks.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
My Vox violin bass with tone like hitting wet cardboard? Not one red cent.

We think alike.  I started on a Vox Mark IV teardrop.  The worst bass ever.  I wouldn't even buy one for nostalgia's sake.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
My first bass was a Norma violin bass, my second was a Hofner non-violin. I have no desire to replace either of those.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Suppose you wanted to get a replacement for your (long-lost) first bass...?
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »
I still have what's left of my Kingston. My parents bought it for me for $35 in 1977. I eventually carved up the body - I made the horns pointy and tried to do an Alembic omega cut with a hole saw and a jig saw.  :-\ Then I heard Percy Jones and de-fretted it. I've watched a couple on ebay, but never felt compelled to pull the trigger. I DO check the serial number on all the white 70s Rics I run across. I was the original owner of SC 1420 back in '79.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 08:33:24 AM »
The funny thing about threads like this is that there were only 2 basses hanging in the music store when I first started to play.  I had to rent one for $5/mo. and then pay it off over time.  I went with the cheaper bass - the Vox for $100.

The one I passed up was $135.  It was a green Epiphone Embassy.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 10:37:54 AM »
Started on a vox panther...I would never want another one.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 01:47:20 PM »
In '76, on the wall at the same shop I bought my EB2 clone was this beautiful cherry red and gold Peter Cook Thunderbird, that was just too expensive for a first bite...

A year later she was back on the same wall when the White Gibson EB2 I nearly bought for £200 (bought by Bruce Foxton the day before I got back with enough cash) was gone...

As a third-hand bass in 1977 the price had dropped from £220 to £180 - £20 cheaper than the Gibson - SOLD...!!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 06:11:33 PM »
Lots of love for Vox here.  ;D