Author Topic: Nice EB 650 on ebay  (Read 2686 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Nice EB 650 on ebay
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »
...the price was 5500$ from the beginning, then down to 3500$ and now back up again.

So he's bipolar on top of crazy.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 06:44:50 PM »
I know blue is rare, but I just don't care for it on this bass.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 10:45:55 PM »
The 650's & 750's were one of the biggest let downs Gibson ever came up with. The TB+ pups were just not right any way you looked/look at it when installed in these bodies.Prototypes of this body with wood block down the middle or totally hollow just did not make it. Lots of confusion going on what they were actually trying to come up with on these soundwise. I know no one who has one wants to mod them (because of the price they paid) but I think they would be a nice platform to try out a few other pickups.(did I hear some say 3 mudbuckers and 3 baritone switches with phase in and outs..?)no really what ya think..?

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 11:35:16 PM »
The 650's & 750's were one of the biggest let downs Gibson ever came up with. The TB+ pups were just not right any way you looked/look at it when installed in these bodies.Prototypes of this body with wood block down the middle or totally hollow just did not make it. Lots of confusion going on what they were actually trying to come up with on these soundwise. I know no one who has one wants to mod them (because of the price they paid) but I think they would be a nice platform to try out a few other pickups.(did I hear some say 3 mudbuckers and 3 baritone switches with phase in and outs..?)no really what ya think..?

Yup, I think 3xMUD would do the trick.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 05:31:09 AM »

I think they wanted basses in an upmarket semi-hollow look with as little hollow-body drawbacks as possible. Enter the deadening sustain blocks which are huge on the EB-650 and -750 (which had Barts, not TB Plus'es). What they ended up with were two basses sounding like good-natured (the 750) or ferocious (the 650) solid bodies. Some of the marginal acoustic element that survived on these basses could have been enhanced if they had added piezo bridges, the 750 was certainly expensive enough to justify that extra mile (and already active with the Bart TCT circuit).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...