Author Topic: Value of a Marshall Major?  (Read 4378 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Value of a Marshall Major?
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:37:19 PM »
  I have a '72 Marshall Major I am thinking of selling. ebay searches show 3k-4.5k and more, none of the auctions look like they sold. Whats a fair value for one of these mine is in excellent working order though it was recovered when I got it in '82. The recover is a good job and still looks good but isn't the correct material. It would be easy enough to put it right. Thanks in advance guys!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Value of a Marshall Major?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 02:42:09 AM »
I dare not go into the ebay list price vs value here, but in general I´d say that original transformers is what keeps
it in the `upper´price register. Next, the tagboard (point to point) versions produced up to sometime in ´73
fetch more than the later ones. I am not that familiar with the major models in particular, but I admit to have kept an eye open on auctions now and then...

I guess the majors usually end up with working musicians, so a recover should not drag the price that much down like it would on an old plexi super lead... 

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 05:44:18 AM »
It really should be what eBay prices are asking, and I'll venture a few of those "unsold" Majors were brokered off eBay to get around their fees. Majors are rare and harder to work on than most techs can handle. 

Don't sell it. Nothing out there sounds like a Major until you get into custom built, big bucks stuff. My Wizard Bass 500 can get a very "Major" tone, but that's a 8k+ amp thanks to Metallica singing their praises on their recent work. I got mine way cheaper than that BEFORE they were cool, when it was 'just' the guys in AC/DC playing them ;p

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 06:01:18 AM »
Your not helping! I really don't want to sell it but it is just sitting in storage, my Hiwatts get all the playing time. I really have way more gear than I need, something like 8 heads and 14-16 cabs. Usually it's no big deal to off a amp but this one is different. I just bought a 2014 Honda Odyssey ( my first ever new car!) I made a deal wit the missus I'd sell something to recoup part of the down payment. I am thinking if I sell the Major I can do that and buy Bills '73 Super Bass  ;D So I won't be Marshall-less.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 06:45:47 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 01:48:27 AM »
That sounds a little like making space for the new "box" to sit in it...? not that I'm siding with Mrs Dasson or anything... ;)

Your first line reads, "my Hiwatts get all the playing time..."

Nice to be confident enough to get the motor, so ask yourself this - do you really need it and would you use (sorry Bill) the Super Bass in preference to the Hiwatts at any point in the foreseeable future...?

Just an open mind...

Remember, I sold an old Plexi 50w Marshall and got the Squier Jazz and the fretless neck for it and a Mag300 combo too... still not gigged and takes up a lot more space... and the paints for the RD and AD... hmm... best not go there; and... hold on... I'm trying to say just sell it... keeps Mrs D sweet... :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 01:54:17 AM by Highlander »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 02:32:46 PM »
  it's not so simple......... Hiwatt gear in Upstate NY was almost impossible to find back when I started out, oh sure the odd piece might pop up now and again  but this is long before the days of the internet. Around '77 I bought a factory early 70's white Super Bass 100, around,'79 I bought a factory fresh Super Bass 100. Right about the same time I bought My first Hiwatt 2150..............N.O.S. languishing at the House of Guitars, sounded better than any cab I tried. Then then 80's came..........I sold my Marshall's and bought a GK 800RB, What a mistake . I sold it within six months and bought the Major, the only Marshall available locally at the time. I have always wanted a Hiwatt rig, I'm very lucky to have one now. But I have loved my Marshall's over the years

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 03:47:06 PM »
Pros and cons list time, Scott...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 04:02:47 PM »
 Ah the pros and cons list great when you are pragmatic. I am a sentimental sod, especially when it comes to inanimate objects I like my things I make no bones. Giving up something I have had for so long is ..............difficult.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:39:55 AM by godofthunder »

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 06:01:52 PM »
Well, what's it worth now and what will it be worth in say 15 years?  It will damn sure earn you more money than a money market fund at the bank.  Question is will it beat the stock market if you had the equivalent value of cash in a mediumish risk level fund.  Smart money says yes.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 06:11:52 AM »
Marshall Superbass amps are much more common than Majors and their tone is a whole different animal. If you can sell it to a buddy who will use it and needs that tone, that's one thing, but offing it because you "have too many amps" is a bad reason, especially for such a rare beast.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 06:36:01 AM »
you have to uphold your end of the car deal. you should sell it or something else. learning that you don't really need much of the stuff you own would make life a lot easier. and cheaper. (my anti-materialism 2 cents worth).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:42:50 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 12:43:57 AM »
 I am the polar opposite LOL, More is more and more is better! Imho of course. I am in full acquisition mode. Maybe when I hit 65 of 70 I'll start selling some stuff. I am even looking into a storage locker for my overflow. I think I'll keep the Major and find something else to sell, maybe the boat. It hasn't seen water for 6 years.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 08:29:30 AM »
I think I'll keep the Major and find something else to sell, maybe the boat. It hasn't seen water for 6 years.

I think you just answered your own question!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 08:46:27 AM »
I'd take bass equipment over a boat any day!!!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 07:24:43 PM »
I'd take bass equipment over a boat any day!!!

Ah, but what if it is a bass boat?   :rimshot: