Author Topic: The Who At The Super Bowl - PinoBird?  (Read 12559 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: The Who At The Super Bowl - PinoBird?
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2010, 05:34:12 AM »
I would have preferred to see them use someone like Billy Sheehan or Stanley Clarke to move the band forward vs being a retro has been act.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2010, 10:55:02 AM »
They're more than happy being a retro act. That's where the money is.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2010, 11:07:43 AM »
I'm gonna have to agree.  They've more than paid their dues.  Let them enjoy the time they have left in whatever fashion they, and their fans, choose.  Hell, even Pearl Jam is starting to ride their own coattails.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2010, 11:26:01 AM »
If JAE had given James McCartney a bass when he was 12, we wouldn't need this thread.

Succession planning, well worth it ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2010, 11:55:44 AM »
Pino is an excellent musician and tastefully bopping bassplayer, but he doesn't know what rock is even if you hit him with one. His bass playing with The Who is as out of context as if Bob Marley had replaced Ritchie Blackmore with Deep Purple. That is the big dif to JAE who was nothing but a rock player, albeit a busy and original one, but he played anything with a rock edge. The Who could have found bass players galore with a rock feel, but chose not to. JAE once said in Kenny Jones days that he misses Keith Moon "as a person, but not as a drummer, my job has become easier with Kenny drumming". I'm not sure whether JAE did not misjudge the musical chemistry he had with Moon in that quote, but it seems that Roger and Pete feel the same about JAE, they don't care for that type of bass playing. And it is not like they don't try to recreate other historic components of their music painstakingly, just listen to the intros of Barbara O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again, they practically ape the old synth sounds on those.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2010, 12:11:52 PM »
"but he doesn't know what rock is even if you hit him with one." Now that's funny !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Chaser001

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2010, 12:56:34 PM »
Then I guess I just have to disagree with Roger and Pete's taste in bass playing.  Without John Entwistle, I've found it pretty difficult to even be interested in the Who very much.  In fact, when Entwistle died, I seriously questioned how the band would even carry on.  In my mind, the Who is a shadow of its former self.  However, the band has a perfect right to do as it pleases, even if that means picking bassists who don't match the Who's historically authentic sound. 

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2010, 01:29:48 PM »
Of course they have a perfect right to do as they please. As do all of us, if they want to alienate their fan base I suppose that is up to them. I won't buy what there are selling. The Who Sell Out indeed.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2010, 01:36:04 PM »
I believe the synth sounds you hear on "Baba" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" are the same ones Pete did for the original recordings though they appeared at the Super Bowl in truncated versions.

Agreed they need more of a Ox type bass player, Sheehan was a good idea.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2010, 02:40:53 PM »
I can't see what the fuss is all about.
I think Pino Palladino is an awesome bassplayer. I really like his playing with the John Mayer Trio.
The Who a sell out? Installing a bass player to mimic JAE, now that would have been a sell out, if you ask me.

As long as they make good music it's cool with me.
If I want to hear The "real" Who, I can put on a record any time.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2010, 03:12:16 PM »

Can't say it did much for me................I think Uwe's assesment of Pino is spot on.

No Keith Moon = bad

No J.A.E. = No Who.

I won't get fooled again  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2010, 03:14:36 PM »
I do not expect anyone to dress like John, or use the same bass, amp, strings, picks, cords, etc. What I do expect is that the person who fills the slot learn the parts. 1/3 of the bands instrumentation is missing, If Pete's guitar parts were missing you can bet plenty of geetard Who fans would be up in arms.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2010, 03:52:02 PM »
I only saw them once, in 1976... when Keith Moon died I wondered what they would do... I said this in another thread some time back but please... do tell me... what have they done since that really stood the test of time...

I tried to watch a special at the Albert Hall... it was just going through the motions...

This is a terrible thing to say but Pete just didn't live up to his words... I love their music, but...

Just as an aside... Rockin Ray noted the synth... iirc it was originally played with an ARP2600, widely regarded as one of the first times synth appeared on a recording and iirc it was the only version they used, period... listen to an alt version on the "legacy" release for a live attempt, and it is just not possible to replicate... both songs are just unique and blessed be Mr Townshend for getting it right, just... that... once... sheer perfection...

That was then, this is now...  :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2010, 05:30:54 PM »
Of course they have a perfect right to do as they please. As do all of us, if they want to alienate their fan base I suppose that is up to them. I won't buy what there are selling. The Who Sell Out indeed.

AFAIK they still have a big fan base. It's fine if you and some others aren't a part of it any longer, but I'll bet they will continue to be popular even if they're a shadow of the original band.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2010, 05:53:59 PM »
AFAIK they still have a big fan base. It's fine if you and some others aren't a part of it any longer, but I'll bet they will continue to be popular even if they're a shadow of the original band.
I am sure they won't miss me. :-*