Author Topic: The Who At The Super Bowl - PinoBird?  (Read 12558 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: The Who At The Super Bowl - PinoBird?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 06:17:26 AM »
That pee looks ugly with those tbird pups, dunno why.

It's not that much different than a Bass IV, or a Fender Zone Deluxe.  I liked the Ashdown gear in the background.  The sound wasn't all that great, but I did sense that the roar was trying to come out.  I liked Zak's cymbals, though.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 06:42:46 AM »
first thing I noticed was those t-bird pups in his p-bass, too bad you couldnt hear the damm thing!  What a CRAPPY mix..  You know, because its all about pete and roger.

Sorry, but moon and Entwistle made the band, but those Mod target cymbals were awsome!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 06:44:11 AM »
That pee looks ugly with those tbird pups, dunno why.

Because they're nickel/chrome - seriously. There are plenty of P-esque basses with pickups the size of those, but black. They don't look nearly as odd. Also, I'm not entirely convinced that those are Lulls (though they certainly might be). I'd imagine thet there are things in the Who storage areas that would make lots of us weak in the knees. Considering all the Thunderbird parts that John hoarded for the Fenderbirds, there's a 50-50 chance that those are originals - IMHO.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 06:48:04 AM »
Good eye

BTW, did they bring The Edge in to play rhythm?  ;D
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 06:57:15 AM »
Why do sidemen - in this case Herr Palladino - always wear the worst clothes?   :rolleyes: (Except when they are in Kiss, Tommy and Peter at least look the part!)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 07:51:46 AM »
Why do sidemen - in this case Herr Palladino - always wear the worst clothes?   :rolleyes: (Except when they are in Kiss, Tommy and Peter at least look the part!)

He just wear casual, i like that a lot more than seeing two old farts dressed as pirates (Roger) or latino mafioso rappers (Pete)  ;D

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 08:02:45 AM »
I was afraid they'd be a watered down version of the Who but they were quite good I thought. Mix did suck but that's live TV for you. Loved the audience singalong.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 08:29:30 AM »
first thing I noticed was those t-bird pups in his p-bass, too bad you couldnt hear the damm thing!  What a CRAPPY mix..  You know, because its all about pete and roger.

Sorry, but moon and Entwistle made the band, but those Mod target cymbals were awsome!

It's always all about the stars, and Pete and Roger were always the primary stars. Even more so now that John and Keith are gone. I wouldn't expect it to be any other way.

That's not minimizing John and Keith's roles, it's just facing reality.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 08:32:55 AM »
I was afraid they'd be a watered down version of the Who but they were quite good I thought. Mix did suck but that's live TV for you. Loved the audience singalong.

I thought they did okay, considering all the drawbacks of doing something like a 12 minute show under those conditions. They aren't who they were in 1965, but I don't expect them to be.

dc10bass

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 08:47:02 AM »
It is a pity that The bass no longer player a lead part in the Who's music. I could barley hear the bass. Imho they need someone who has studied John. Zak Starkey on drums had as much face time as Pete and Roger and handles the position beautifully.

You couldn't be more right!

And as much as I like Zak would have liked to have seen less of him...
Bass was almost nill... the opening bass part to Pinball Wizard was totally defalting.
Overall thought they were great!
My God, Daltrey will be 66 on March 1st and Townshend is 65!
www.talesofcream.com - A Tribute to the Music of Cream
www.facebook.com/LIVETHEWHO - The Who Tribute

nofi

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 09:05:25 AM »
i liked pete's guitar outbursts, very R&R. they hired pino for the player he is and not to be an entwistle clone. hell, the who have been around 45 years or so and the core that made them what they are is still intact. not many band's can claim that.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:31:18 AM by nofi »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »
At this point it is like playing Classical music. The parts that were written and recorded need to be there and played with the intent in which they were written, not watered down or completely omitted. There are many players I bet who could have stepped into Johns slot and done a far better job than Pino, for christsake in the bp interview he himself tells of fans motioning the parts to him while he plays, he seems completley unaware of the legacy he is following. I have to say it bugs me. I would not doubt that Pete keeps him under his thumb but given Zaks performance on drums it would be nice to see the same kind of attention lavished on J.A.E.s parts.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 11:02:53 AM »
There are many players I bet who could have stepped into Johns slot and done a far better job than Pino,

Hell, we have someone here who does exactly that at every show (even in that hot leather skeleton outfit)!  ;)

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 11:13:04 AM »
I was impressed w/ Zak

He stepped into Moons shoes, yet doesn't imitate.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 11:47:04 AM »
I was impressed w/ Zak

He stepped into Moons shoes, yet doesn't imitate.
Exactly!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird