Author Topic: The Who At The Super Bowl - PinoBird?  (Read 12582 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: The Who At The Super Bowl - PinoBird?
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2010, 09:33:08 PM »
Also, what's with Pete using 7enders now?

He's been playing strats onstage for the past 21 years. Add a couple years around '67 and Pete has probably logged way more stage time on strats than any other sort of guitar.

By comparison, he only played the SG Special from about 1967 to '71, and Les Pauls from about 72 to 79, yet those are the iconic Townshend stage guitars because... well, because those were the peak years for the band, both onstage and in the studio. Nobody but us Who geeks gives a damn about the past couple decades.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2010, 11:07:04 PM »
Nobody but us Who geeks gives a damn about the past couple decades.

Considering JAE died within the last decade or two, you'd be right. It's a shame too...
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2010, 01:52:18 AM »
JAE probably logged more time on PB's, but the Fenderbirds, the Alembics and the Warwicks get more attention because of their "iconic" status...

Slink... IKWYM... I'm a Neil Young Geek, but I'm honest enough to be more interested in what the NYA chucks out than any new release...

No offence meant to any Who fans but what significantly "new" has emerged since "Who Are You"...? my most played recording is almost certainly "Who's Next", and I own nothing ("new") post "WAY" (Who wise, excluding JAE stuff)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hornisse

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2010, 11:38:49 AM »
I really like Face Dances and It's Hard.  JAE is more up front on the mix on both these records and the Alembics can be heard on both LP's.  I always like playing along to "You Better You Bet" as it is a really fun bass part.  The Quiet One is possibly one of The Ox's finest songs.  I love his lines (bass) on this one too.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2010, 11:42:14 AM »
No offence meant to any Who fans but what significantly "new" has emerged since "Who Are You"...? my most played recording is almost certainly "Who's Next", and I own nothing ("new") post "WAY" (Who wise, excluding JAE stuff)

Depends what you mean by "significant"!

There's the two albums with Kenny Jones, "Face Dances" (1979ish?) and "It's Hard" (1982ish?).
Neither sounds anything like the Who with Keith, so anybody looking for more of the old Who is bound to be disappointed.  Both have some good songwriting by Pete, as well as some clunkers. And some cool Entwistle playing. These are the only studio Who albums that capture Entwistle's distorted-Alembic sound.

Then there was a whole lot of nothing during the band's hiatus.

Then there was the "Then and Now" compilation which I still haven't bothered to buy; it featured two new songs, "Real Good Looking Boy" and "Old Red Wine". I still haven't even heard the latter. I never bothered to buy this as I have all the other stuff on it and RGLB is a pleasant enough song but no big deal, kind of boring actually.

Finally, there's "Endless Wire", the first "new Who album" in decades, released in 2006.  It includes a mini-opera called "Wire & Glass" with a typically baffling plot by Townshend that seems to be related to both his "psychoderelict" project and the old "lifehouse" story.  There are some great songs here, some boring ones, some really weird ones that most old-school Who fans will probably hate.  Despite the name on the cover, in terms of sound it's basically a Townshend solo record with lots of Daltrey vocals - it doesn't even use much of the current touring band.  But hey, I like it. I had to give the band props for playing a good chunk of this material on their 2006 tour, I thought that was a ballsy move for a dinosaur band.

I'm with you about "Who's Next".  I might rate that as my all-time favorite album by anyone.  I like all this later stuff, but I sure don't play it that much by comparison.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2010, 01:36:49 PM »
Depends what you mean by "significant"!

There's the two albums with Kenny Jones, "Face Dances" (1979ish?) and "It's Hard" (1982ish?).
Neither sounds anything like the Who with Keith, so anybody looking for more of the old Who is bound to be disappointed.  Both have some good songwriting by Pete, as well as some clunkers. And some cool Entwistle playing. These are the only studio Who albums that capture Entwistle's distorted-Alembic sound.

Face Dances was the first "new" Who album to come out after I had become aware of them. Lots of great bass playing, and I loved that tone, which is probably his best ever on a studio record. IMHO.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2010, 04:05:53 PM »
Face Dances was the first "new" Who album to come out after I had become aware of them.

(grumbly old man voice, waving stick in the air...) Young whippersnapper...  ;D

I guess I'm just biased... I knew about "Lifehouse" (which just hung round PT's neck forever - think about it - "Who's Next" was spawned from the project, iirc) but I treat this site as a "place of learning", so any tips are appreciated - I guess the advent of iTunes (et al) means you don't have to buy a complete recording for just one track...

Now, how many of us have a real clunker in the lp/cd/tape collection, just because you loved that one track...?  ;) anyone here ever get "Flash Fearless Vs The Zorg Women" to enjoy a song called "What's Happening" featuring another late, great (Scottish) bassist singer... such an excellent tune... admittedly, JAE does do more than just play on it... the whole LP, that is... there are other notables on this obscurity...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 04:21:21 PM by Kenny Five-O »
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2010, 05:05:03 PM »
We have our glorious national anthem... read the derogatory (to Scots) sixth verse and don't wonder why "Flower Of Scotland" is the preferred "anthem" in Scotland...

That got me curious, so I visited Wikipedia:

Around 1745, anti-Jacobite sentiment was captured in a verse appended to the song, with a prayer for the success of Field Marshal George Wade's army then assembling at Newcastle. These words attained some short-term use, although they did not appear in the published version in the October 1745 Gentleman's Magazine. The source of this verse was a later article on the song, published by the Gentleman's Magazine in 1837. Therein, it is presented as an "additional verse... though being of temporary application only... stored in the memory of an old friend... who was born in the very year 1745, and was thus the associate of those who heard it first sung", the lyrics given being:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
    May by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush,
    God save the King.

The 1837 article and other sources make it clear that this verse was not used soon after 1745, and certainly before the song became accepted as the British national anthem in the 1780s and 1790s.[23][24] It was included as an integral part of the song in the Oxford Book of Eighteenth Century Verse of 1926, although erroneously referencing the "fourth verse" to the Gentleman's Magazine article of 1745.[25]

And although this thread is theoretically about The Who, I don't think they wrote it....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2010, 05:29:58 PM »
And although this thread is theoretically about The Who, I don't think they wrote it....

... but they are Brits... ;)

Just elucidating Gary's point about what people thought were patriotic songs (but had not read the lyrics) ...

Anyway, Al, the day a thread stays on track...  ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »
Track?

They just closed the nicest short road race track near here...Second Creek Raceway near Denver.

Oh yeah, I see what you mean.....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2010, 08:45:04 AM »
 :mrgreen:

Low End Theorist

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2010, 09:24:41 AM »
I saw that first Hollywood Bowl show right after John died and thought Pino sounded great, especially for stepping in at the last minute.
Pete's playing was inspired that night.  Lots of nice words and a great opening film of JAE images.
Seeing/hearing Pino do the My Generation bass solo made me feel a little uncomfortable though.
Towards the end of the set, Pete said something like, "We'll play everything he (Pino) knows."  Which didn't seem to be a lot.

Pino seemed great for a filler at the time, but, to me, he now just seems too generic a player to be with these guys.
My vote would go to John Paul Jones!

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2010, 11:13:35 AM »
Why not throw McCartney and Starr into the Who! A complete rhythmsection, and a complete frontsection. Different styles, sure, but as someone once said it: It's only rock'n'roll.

Low End Theorist

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2010, 12:11:43 PM »
Right, right.  It's only rock & roll... :o  wait, you got it!

Bill Wyman!!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2010, 08:02:47 PM »
i don't think Bill Wyman would fit at all in the Who.that would be the Why
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES