Author Topic: Intonating a bass?  (Read 3218 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Intonating a bass?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 03:34:41 PM »
The 12th fret on my basses is lonelier than the Maytag repairman.  Never gets visited at all.

Err... I've had to fix a few Maytags in my time...  ;D (ok, I'll give you that, they are more reliable than most  ;))
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 05:46:34 PM »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 02:53:56 PM »
Err... I've had to fix a few Maytags in my time...  ;D (ok, I'll give you that, they are more reliable than most  ;))

It's a US TV commercial.  I anticipated the need to translate...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXJ0rAyE_mQ&feature=related
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 05:30:56 PM »
Too bad Maytag lost that reputation in a big way. Between the poor reliability of the Neptune series and Amana, they lost their market. Now they're just a name owned by Whirlpool.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »
I'm a stickler for correct intonation. Its such a simple thing to do and only takes about 10 mins or so. Like most things musical it takes a few goes to get good at it but once it becomes a simple task it makes you feel better about weather (or not) you have to constantly compensate for poor intonation, which I find annoying unless its a bass that I particularly want/need to use and its pretty much impossible to get the intonation close on.

I find my method changes (adapts) a little from bass to bass but I agree with Erics well written explanation. Live is not such an issue but try recording with a bass that has bad intonation and its seriously not worth the angst.
Digresion our specialty!