Main Forums > The Bass Zone

Max Webster

(1/8) > >>

Pekka:
Any fans? I discovered them about 14 years ago, a friend made a tape with "Battlescar", "In Context Of The Moon" and "Beyond The Moon". Of course I later discovered they were capable of much more than 'just' playing heavy prog and nowadays I think them as a hard rock's NRBQ if you get my point. :) Of the individual players my fav is Terry Watkinson: a great keyboard player, as underrated as, say, Hugh Banton of VDGG.

Samples from every studio album:

(The middle part reminds me of Little Feat)

Highlander:
Saw them three times - supporting Rush and in their own right at London's Marquee Club, 1980 iirc - Kim Mitchell has carved out a little niche for himself back in the land of the Hosers... don't know about the other guys...

I can understand why you like Terry Watkinson but my interest was always the primary writer - I have pretty much everything Kim Mitchell has (legitimately) recorded, no having most of it on CD (including one exceptionally scarce CD on a label that went bust)

If you want to check out his solo stuff, start with Rockland...

Most people will go Max who...? The likliehood of ever seeing him on stage in the UK again...? Bob Hope and no hope (and one of those is dead...)

Pekka:

--- Quote from: Kenny's 51st State on July 18, 2010, 05:35:44 AM ---
If you want to check out his solo stuff, start with Rockland...

--- End quote ---

I have his first three albums and I like the first one (which is an EP actually) best. A bit too slick and AOR for me, lacks the zany edge that Max had.

You saw them in 1980? Was it after the "Universal Juvelines" and if yes, did they still have Terry on keys? There's some clips on youtube from 1980 that has Dave Stone (ex-Symphonic Slam, ex- Rainbow) on keys.

You don't happen to own any unofficial live recordings?

Highlander:
"The Cat's In The Bag..."

Definitely Terry on keys and I can be certain of the dates as it was June 4th, 5th and 9th (just checked ticket stubs - 9th was my 21st and that was the Marquee) and the rush tour was for Permanant Waves...

I have never got hold of any boots though there are a lot of dedicated Cannucks that I have yet to try and contact...

I may still have a spare copy of the promo leaflet from the tour (with a flexi disc?) for A Million Vacations if you want one - pm if interested and I'll go look for one... I helped myself to a heap of them on the way out...

uwe:
Great fan of A Million Vacations etc. Nerdy prog hard rock was never any better. Kim's solo stuff sounds a little dumbed down to me, but he probably has a family to take care of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version