Author Topic: Gibson Ripper rescue  (Read 37831 times)

Hörnisse

• View Profile
Re: Gibson Ripper rescue
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2014, 11:32:23 AM »
So do 'bursts!

Well, it is hard to see the old see through tort 'guads on the old Ripper basses.   :)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2014, 07:09:42 AM »
Sorry, not done much.  Refinish is continuing, had to get some more clear coat to finish the job but Rich is on the case.  As for me, I got a new soldering iron for Christmas from my wife, so I'm going to put it to some good use and wire it up as far as I can.

Regarding mounting the choke, I'm going to take the later approach of a bracket attached to the pot shaft like a washer and the choke attached at the other end.  I'm going to make it out of a PC expansion blanking plate - found a nice stash of 5 completely flat, unstamped ones to experiment with.  The earlier approach was to solder a bracket onto the side of the pot casing, but I have no idea if this metal will take solder, hence the mechanical coupling approach.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2014, 01:46:50 PM »
Tonight I made the mounting bracket for the choke coil.  I took one of the aforementioned PC blanking plates:

And after some drilling, bending, cutting and filing I ended up with this:

So with it attached it looks like this:

And the choke will sit like this, with an M5 machine screw straight through the whole thing and bolted to the bracket (don't have one at the moment)

Also tided up the pots - some of them had wires soldered to them and tags soldered to the casings which needed freeing up.  I'm going to do all the wiring soon.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2014, 03:41:07 PM »
I get my stipend soon and then off to Gar for a die. I'll let you know if it turns out okay.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2014, 03:14:53 PM »
I get my stipend soon and then off to Gar for a die. I'll let you know if it turns out okay.

Cool, looking forward to it :)

Did a bit of work tonight - mounted the choke and started the wiring:

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2014, 12:29:41 PM »
All wired up and no place to go (yet) - just the pickups and the bridge wire to add but I think I'll wait until assembly time for that.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2014, 05:54:09 AM »
nice & tidy!  good job

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2014, 12:05:31 PM »
Thanks, it's amazing how much having a decent soldering iron and lovely leaden solder can improve one's soldering skills.

I just got a wee update from Rich - how's about that cherry red now?  Really darkened down a treat.

Won't be long now :)

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2014, 12:33:12 PM »
I really like that red.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2014, 01:39:36 PM »
Looks beaut...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2014, 08:06:25 AM »
Awesome job! Yeah that bass looks sweet in cherry!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2015, 04:36:52 AM »
Well, it's finally (just about) finished.  My mate Rich had to take some time out from all his projects for various reasons but he's recently got back in the saddle and last night we put everything together for the first time.  Please excuse the lousy phone camera pics (really doesn't understand that deep cherry red very well).

Risky, given that we have no idea how long it's been since the neck had any string tension applied to it, but I'm hoping to play it tonight at a gig :)

Very happy with how it's turned out.  Delighted with how it sounds.  Couple of minor things to sort out.  For instance, I think I got the wrong taper for the midrange/tone pots - most of their effect is concentrated in the last 20% of the turn, so I might replace them.  Minor cosmetic issue of the selector switch plate to be addressed in the fullness of time.  But it's done, and back together for the first time in who knows how long.  From a rather sorry looking hunk of wood painted in washed out red to this.  Really happy :)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2015, 06:04:39 AM »
First Ripper I can honestly say I love and would be proud to own !  Nice job!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2015, 07:19:18 AM »
No kidding.  Looks fantastic!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2015, 08:01:52 AM »
Reet braw beastie, Neep... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...