Author Topic: Pilgrim?  (Read 2911 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Pilgrim?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 01:45:54 PM »
That's a positive spin...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 05:26:49 PM »
We're about to have a boom in road, bridge and construction jobs, home sanitation, carpeting, roofing, landscaping...pretty much anything associated with recovery and rebuilding.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 06:59:16 PM »
I hope reconstruction goes well for everyone.  It is so hard to even imagine what you have to endure.  Blessings to all!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 08:41:02 PM »
News articles now indicate there will be a lot of gravel roads going in, and for some of the 50+ bridges taken out, they may bring in military temp bridges. Gonna be a lot of s-l-o-w bridge crossings around!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2013, 08:17:47 AM »
Hey folks...there are some videos I found that give you a look at things earlier this month...pardon the 15-second ads at the front of most clips..no way around them. The flooding has subsided although some low areas still have significant pooling, but now it's rebuild time.  I believe we lost about 50 bridges in my county (Larimer) and some may be replaced temporarily with military river-fording bridges.

Here's one that give you a look at the Big Thompson Canyon, the primary route up to Estes Park:  

http://www.coloradoan.com/videonetwork/2691095438001?nclick_check=1

EDIT - hit the links at the bottom of this video for more of the flooding impacts.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 04:20:28 PM by Pilgrim »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2013, 01:08:16 PM »
Al, all four links take me to the same video, the first one. Firefox with AdBlock eliminates the ads, I thought that might be affecting it, so tried the links in IE, all are still going to the Big Thompson Canyon video.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2013, 04:20:58 PM »
Thanks, Dave - post revised.  Just play through the first one and more links appear at the bottom.  Sorry for the error!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2013, 09:43:22 PM »
Thanks, Al. The one of the water rushing through downtown Estes Park makes you thankful that the death toll wasn't higher.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2013, 05:39:50 AM »
We're about to have a boom in road, bridge and construction jobs, home sanitation, carpeting, roofing, landscaping...pretty much anything associated with recovery and rebuilding.

Whenever something like that happens in a country that can afford the rebuilding (and all Western countries generally can), it actually does boost the gross national product. To me that doesn't show the cynic side of capitalism, but human spirit in the face of adverse odds. Happy - and safe - rebuilding and I'm happy too that there were not more casualities.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...