Author Topic: Jimi Hendrix's Last Song  (Read 3744 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Jimi Hendrix's Last Song
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 02:50:22 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the Target edition - picked it up yesterday! To me it's worth the price of admission just for the bonus track. Haven't listened to "Crash Landing" yet - I was thinking that was one of my favorite songs when I was in high school, but the song I actually loved from that album was the instrumental "Peace in Mississippi"...

You and I must have the same taste then.  "Peace in Mississippi" is my favorite Hendrix instrumental.  But I don't even know how many people have heard that song.  Some don't like it because they say it's too hard rock, but that's exactly why I DO like it.  Currently, it's only available as a CD single--to my knowledge. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 02:52:14 PM »
Such a gorgeous bit of guitar work...

I'm glad it's available in Europe; it has been taken down for the U.S.  It's hard to believe that everybody considered "Crash Landing" a reject.   The guitar is indeed gorgeous--a stunning solo, in my opinion. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 03:05:42 PM »
I used to mess about with the riff on the bass... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 03:24:04 PM »
I used to mess about with the riff on the bass... ;)

That's very cool then.  Most of my riffs from Hendrix, which were usually bass rather than guitar riffs, came from the first album.  That's pretty much how I learned bass in the first place.  Probably one of the main reasons why I also still feel such a connection to his music.  This is where it all began for me.  

Note:

No one seems to know any of this for sure.  But it would be my guess that much of that bass on the "Are You Experienced" album was Jimi and Chas telling Noel what to do.  He didn't even have his own bass until the album was almost finished.  On the "Axis:  Bold as Love" album, I think Noel came up with more of his own bass lines.  He has even said that that was his favorite album.  However, with a few exceptions, the bass on that second album is often easier than the bass on the first one.  By "Electric Ladyland" when Hendrix didn't need Noel as much in the studio, that's at the same time he was actually getting a lot better on bass, IMO. 

Like I mentioned, I'm looking at Billy Cox in a new light now that I've heard him on some of the songs I'd never heard him play on before that are on the "People, Hell, and Angels" album.  I'm listening to him more closely on some other CDs I have.  I'm about to listen to the Live at Berkeley concert again.  Of course, when it comes to Hendrix's music, it's mostly the guitar that you'll be listening to whether you try to or not.  In other cases in listening to music, I can sometimes almost ignore the guitar.  

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:14:35 AM by westen »

--Blaise Pascal