Author Topic: Golden Oldies  (Read 3780 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Golden Oldies
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 07:17:33 AM »
Dang!  Uwe dropped a nice touch there with the Paper Lace version of Billy. As most US pop rock fans recall, the hit version here was by Bo Donaldson and The Heywoods.  The Paper Lace version was released here but Bo beat them to the charts, and theirs died.  I bought both versions.  But they made buckets of money on The Night Chicago Died.

More junk I played the heck out of:
Rock On
Heartbeat Its a Love Beat
Only Women Bleed
Angie Baby
Run Joey Run
Clap For The Wolfman
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 07:47:13 AM »
Clap For The Wolfman? Isn't that painful and can't you do something about it with penicillin?

I remember Wolfman Jack, he was on AFN (American Forces Network) Radio when we had still lost the war.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 02:26:51 PM »
Uwe! I'm giving you Seeman by Lolita, and you're into Wolfman Jack? Come on, man, give us the Lolita story!

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »
Clap For the Wolfman - a classic post-Randy Bachman Guess Who tune.  It features, I believe, Dominic Troiano and a nifty late EB-3.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:53:41 PM by Dave W »
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 05:47:04 PM »
Phaedra was a figure from Greek mythology. Exactly what the Hazelwood song had to do with her mythological story is a mystery to me.
i always figured it was some kinda love song to amphetamines. i don't know much about Lee Hazelwood except that Frank didn't like his daughter hanging out with that dude. which makes me like him a little more.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Hornisse

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 07:00:09 PM »
Dang!  Uwe dropped a nice touch there with the Paper Lace version of Billy. As most US pop rock fans recall, the hit version here was by Bo Donaldson and The Heywoods.  The Paper Lace version was released here but Bo beat them to the charts, and theirs died.  I bought both versions.  But they made buckets of money on The Night Chicago Died.

More junk I played the heck out of:
Rock On
Heartbeat Its a Love Beat
Only Women Bleed
Angie Baby
Run Joey Run
Clap For The Wolfman

I dug those tunes too!  You must be about my age. (48)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 03:35:42 AM »
Uwe! I'm giving you Seeman by Lolita, and you're into Wolfman Jack? Come on, man, give us the Lolita story!

But I know almost nothing about her, I didn't even know that her song (in German) had been a minor hit in the US in 1960! I always thought Nena had the privilege of cracking the US charts German language with 99 Luftballons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrXlwd5LFPU&feature=related

For some reason that era also brings up this song for me

which I first heard (and loved) in the German version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1--q9f6fWI&feature=PlayList&p=0B90B50381262F44&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=66
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 07:42:06 AM »
Freddy... yeah! I think he was really popular in Germany in those days... Now, man, my brain is slowly turning to "Action". If nobody stops me I will be into Tina & Marina before long. And from there on, compadres, it's just like Cliff Richard once put it, so cleverly: There aint no turning back! Might be time to blaze that ol' saddle once more, ride off in the evening light, whistling: Adios, amigo, what must be, must be. Remember manana brings sorrow and grief... No, no, stop me! Hit me with your rhythm stick! Please!