Poll

Devoted to scientific proof: Is Dave right about "smells and tastes like fish"?

I try to never disagree with Dave, even when he's obviously wrong.
2 (16.7%)
Yeah, it gets up my nose too!
1 (8.3%)
What the hell are you guys talking about?
5 (41.7%)
Can we get back to a semblance of decorum please and just discuss anal sex like we always have?
3 (25%)
Sorry, I'm vegan.
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Guess who  (Read 3715 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Guess who
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2023, 09:11:34 AM »
When you weren't cross-dressing in your sleep that is! Not to mention those suspicious body part selfies. ;D

Let's revert to our ongoing series though ...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/21/the-truth-about-gwyneth-paltrows-diet-it-is-as-strange-as-youd-expect

I have to say that this intermittent fasting epidemic really gets on my nerves, causes friction/derision with even my wife who subscribes to it. I like to eat when I'm hungry (and if I'm not, I don't) and, no, I'm not always hungry at the same time every day. It depends on what I've done or not done and also what the last meal has been. That over-regulated rhythm forcing every day into a corset of meal times drives me nuts.

Had a colleague who did it for a year or two. Sure, he slimmed down. And then he stopped again. His body had good memory. Within three months he was back to his old set point.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 09:20:14 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2023, 04:22:54 PM »
When I said  "celebrity gets a quack" earlier, I really didn't know anything about her doctor. Surprise, surprise, I was right. "Dr. Cole" is not a medical doctor.

Gwyneth Paltrow’s latest diet guru is a ‘functional medicine practitioner’ who backs coffee enemas and cuddling

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2023, 05:22:46 PM »
Coffee via enema?

That reminds me of a century-old joke:

Post-operation, the patient is thirsty and begs the nurse for something to drink. But the nurse says: "I'm not allowed to give you any liquids orally for at least 24 hours, I'm sorry." The patient keeps complaining. The nurse, trying to do her best, finally relents: "I could do an enema  with tea, that is thirst-quenching, shall I?" The patient, resigned to his fate: "Whatever." So the enema is prepared and the fluid begins to run until the patient suddenly winces. "What's wrong?" asks the nurse, looking concerned. The patient: "Nurse, you forgot the damn SUGAR!"

I know. Germans think that's funny. Jokes aren't an easy thing for us. No laughing matter.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 07:58:58 AM by uwe »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2023, 07:48:46 AM »
I'm pretty specific when it comes to my tea, but that's a whole other level!  :mrgreen:

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2023, 05:31:59 PM »
I’ll just leave this here…
"Two skis came between my skis forcing my legs apart and then a body pressed against me."
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2023, 08:04:28 PM »
I’ll just leave this here…
"Two skis came between my skis forcing my legs apart and then a body pressed against me."

Gwyneth Paltrow blames brain-damaged ‘victim’ — and thought she was being sexually assaulted after ski-slope collision

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2023, 09:00:27 PM »
Skiing is dangerous, expensive and bad for the environment.

Also less entertaining than sex. I had my first sex in 1976 on a school skiing trip because we had both decided we had had enough of it and stayed at the hostel. One thing led to another. Life is all about priorities.

Sine then I have been dragged to skiing trips a few more times (I regret that I succumbed to peer pressure) - yet every time my 1976 quality assessment/comparison was confirmed. Thankfully, I can now just say that I'm too old for skiing and that broken bones don't heal like they used to. Also, that replacement knee joint comes in handy.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2023, 06:48:54 AM »
I get that.  But then, I do live in Colorado, where some of the world's greatest skiing is accessible with a 90-minute drive.  I stay on the blue runs, and not even the most ambitious of them.  My youngest daughter likes to ski with me, and when the kids are adults, any time you get together driving to the ski area, as well as some company skiing, is precious.

And is there a certain factor of proving to myself that I can still get out there and ski? Well, harrumph, harrumph....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2023, 10:43:41 AM »
Skiing is dangerous, expensive and bad for the environment.

Also less entertaining than sex. I had my first sex in 1976 on a school skiing trip because we had both decided we had had enough of it and stayed at the hostel. One thing led to another. Life is all about priorities.

Die guten alten Zeiten!! Cherished memories, eh!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2023, 05:27:20 AM »
Not for me. I caught frostbite on me butt at that first skiing outing. Didn't impede other body functions too much though.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2023, 05:34:32 AM »
I get that.  But then, I do live in Colorado, where some of the world's greatest skiing is accessible with a 90-minute drive.  I stay on the blue runs, and not even the most ambitious of them.  My youngest daughter likes to ski with me, and when the kids are adults, any time you get together driving to the ski area, as well as some company skiing, is precious.

And is there a certain factor of proving to myself that I can still get out there and ski? Well, harrumph, harrumph....

If snow is plentiful in your neck of the woods and there are mountains, then why not. But the European Alps have been battling with too little snow for decades and the prevalent use of snow machines/cannons wreaks havoc on the environment. Ski slopes cause erosion and harm alpine fauna in Spring.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2023, 07:19:08 AM »
If snow is plentiful in your neck of the woods and there are mountains, then why not. But the European Alps have been battling with too little snow for decades and the prevalent use of snow machines/cannons wreaks havoc on the environment. Ski slopes cause erosion and harm alpine fauna in Spring.

Right now I'm sitting in Pagosa Springs CO, where the snow total this year is 450 inches - so far.  This is an excellent snow year in CO, although it's an excessive snow year in California. The pass 20 miles north of this town (Wolf Creek) has had more than 2 feet of snow this week.  We came across that pass Tuesday in near white-out conditions; they closed the pass for 2.5 days just hours after we got through.

I haven't heard about environmental problems on ski slopes here, and there is a strong enough environmental movement that I would think I'd have heard more.  I'll be watching for it.  Of course, ski tourism (and summer tourism as well) is what keeps many of the old mountain mining towns going.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2023, 02:49:36 PM »
Artificial snow is heavier than natural snow - it presses ground vegetation that would survive regular snow to death and compresses the ground underneath to an extent that very little grows in spring.

Skiing, once reserved for the locals and the rich, has become a mass phenomenon in Europe since the 70ies  - that is why every inch of possible skiing use is squeezed out of the Alps.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2023, 11:17:59 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2023, 04:45:40 AM »
I get the feeling that the New York Post and Gwyneth aren't really close friends. Did she at any one point turn Mr Murdoch, that purveyor of truth and responsible journalism, down? Of course, he wouldn't ever let that color the reporting of his media.