Author Topic: No, not a reissue  (Read 939 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
No, not a reissue
« on: July 06, 2022, 10:14:50 PM »
Silvertone Guitars to Reissue 1444 Bass

What a joke. A company that obtained the Silvertone name but has no connection to the original Sears-owned brand will be putting out a solid body mahogany* bass and claiming it's a "reissue" of the 1444, which was a semihollow masonite body bass.  What a load of bull. Caveat emptor, but IMHO it's just exploiting people who don't know better.

*And you know it's not genuine mahogany at that price

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: No, not a reissue
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 01:15:10 AM »
They showed exactly this bass, four five years ago at the NAMM. I scored a Silvertone t-shirt. That was cool. Totally worn now.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 05:20:27 AM »
The original 1444 just had a single pickup . Dano did a Dolphin nose 56 reissue with two pickups that was closer to the original .
Nathan Daniel felt the weakest link in guitar design was the adjustable neck , so he used two T shaped rods to keep things in place . Some of the first Jerry Jones instruments were built that way .
I have a Dolphin nose Dano but it doesn’t seem to get as much play as the Longhorn or DC .

This solid body 1444 reissue is not a good idea .

I guess I’m somewhat of a Dano guy . Never planned it , but somehow after buying a Longhorn it slowly became my most gigged instrument . I know they’re just cheap little things , but they weigh next to nothing , are really fun to play , and can sound great .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 08:32:17 AM »
That reminds me of the family that said they owned George Washington's hatchet.

Over the years the handle had been replaced six times, and the head twice, but yessir, that was by gawd George Washington's hatchet....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 08:57:44 AM »
The real Dano aficianados love the wooden popsicle stick bridge because it gives things a nice warm woody ring , the cheap (everything on a Dano is cheap) steel adjustable bridge has more twang . I prefer the thump . Truth is there is a sweet spot for it , and intonation is fine , even on a two octave neck . But many feel if they can’t adjust it like a Fender style bridge then it’s garbage .
So this loses further points for having a metal adjustable bridge . There’s less sustain with the popsicle stick , and I prefer less . Although I’m not quite to the point of sticking a piece of sponge back there .

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 11:19:42 PM »
Silvertone Guitars to Reissue 1444 Bass

What a joke. A company that obtained the Silvertone name but has no connection to the original Sears-owned brand will be putting out a solid body mahogany* bass and claiming it's a "reissue" of the 1444, which was a semihollow masonite body bass.  What a load of bull. Caveat emptor, but IMHO it's just exploiting people who don't know better.

*And you know it's not genuine mahogany at that price

Exploiting people who don't know better.  Isn't that the way society now pretty much functions as a whole? 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 12:10:41 AM »
the cheap (everything on a Dano is cheap)

Except for the Brazilian rosewood boards on the originals...
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 04:54:27 AM »
At the time they were cheap .
Daniel was not one to splurge .
We don’t need expensive binding , heck , put a piece of tape on that …

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 12:53:53 PM »
From what I've read, Sears wanted Daniel to come up with instruments that could retail for no more than $50. Brazilian RW was cheap and plentiful back then.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2022, 01:51:56 PM »
He cut every imaginable corner and somehow wound up with a playable instrument . Not all cheapos of that day were .
Now the originals are not all that common here in Nova Scotia .

I’m thankful for the reissues .

Edit I was checking some instrument prices at L&M (Canadian music retailer) last night and noticed just about everything has seen the price jacked up again . Even the cheap stuff isn’t so cheap any more .
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 01:57:00 PM by morrow »

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2022, 10:58:21 PM »
He cut every imaginable corner and somehow wound up with a playable instrument . Not all cheapos of that day were .

Jimmy Page would agree with you. There is no law that states that figured cocobolo should sound better than chipboard.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023