Author Topic: NAMM 2011: Return of the TB front jack? (And other things, but no chrome!!!)  (Read 14513 times)

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
I like the pick guard. It reminds me a bit of those Melody Maker guitars, on which the pick guard and pickup surroundings are one piece..

..... so in a roundabout way you're saying it looks like a cheap-ass budget release right ?  :mrgreen:
Experience is the ultimate teacher

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
It is a budget model, I don't think it intends to be anything else with the cheap fin. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

The pg added in afterthought strikes me as a mistaken attempt to upgrade the looks somewhat, but I in fact preferred the puristic look of the NAMM model without any pg.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
So he nailed it !  ;)  That's probably why Chris is reviewing bass guitars in magazines and I'm not ...  ;D

But seriously...... I'm just looking for reasons not to buy one knowing full well I will sometime in future .... But for now I'm in denial and I don't like the headstock, the tuners, the finish. the bridge, the flat body ....  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:57:26 AM by Droombolus »
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
;D I love Melody Makers, btw. And I laughed hard about Nasty Hobits:D

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
What's up with the crooked knobs on these things?  :-\ Pickguard.... eh... Not great to my eyes. I'll never buy one, so I should probably just shut up.  ;D

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What's up with the crooked knobs on these things? 

Looks the same as the SG pot placement. They probably wanted to save having to reprogram a machine somewhere.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Them Crooked Knobs ...
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2011, 10:44:30 AM »
I think the euphemism for "crooked" is "circular for better ergonomics", meine Herren!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:53:02 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
We will very soon know more on how these play. I have requested a well-known TBird connaisseuse in one of the more North-Western states of the USA (one nation under Canada) to obtain one for us.  She wishes to have her identity protected for the time being. Given that today is International Women's Day, I thought the choice more than fitting.

Uwe

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
 Maybe the NR isn't far behind???????????
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
They had already sent me a protottype of the NR, but I didn't like the chrome hardware, so they are now exchanging it.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
They had already sent me a protottype of the NR, but I didn't like the chrome hardware, so they are now exchanging it.

No doubt you told them it needed to be all black and have a three point bridge like the originals.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
How did you guess?  :o :o :o  :mrgreen:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
We will very soon know more on how these play. I have requested a well-known TBird connaisseuse in one of the more North-Western states of the USA (one nation under Canada) to obtain one for us.  She wishes to have her identity protected for the time being. Given that today is International Women's Day, I thought the choice more than fitting.

Uwe

Ze Fraulein has completed ze assignment according to your wishes Herr Gibson Gruppenfuhrer!

Ze Hobbitbird vill be traveling from Denver, Colorado to Seattle in ze morning, I vill report on it's progress as I recieve updates.

Heil!  ;)

Hobbitses..........

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Wunderbar und vielen Dank!

I wonder how much TBird will be left in it now that it
is short scale.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

When it arrives I will of course take some comparison photos - Size after all, does matter!  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...