Author Topic: NAMM 2011: Return of the TB front jack? (And other things, but no chrome!!!)  (Read 14514 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
I found this pic of a solitary black TB at NAMM 2011. Are my eyes deceiving me or has the front jack returned, but the pickguard and the center block gone? Or has the Shavo Signature model seen a release after all, now that System of Down are reconvening for some summer gigs? This certainly looks like some metalist had a say in the look. And has the front pup edged forward a little?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:44:49 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the front jack?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:34:09 AM »
Could be a mini-switch.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 08:36:29 AM »
Plus malaligned pots

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:47:29 AM »
Could be a mini-switch.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Shavo turned out active, that just goes with that type of music.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
The headstock looks like it's slightly different than I'm used to seeing but maybe that's because it's all black.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Shame they won't give it a better bridge.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
It might be a kill switch too, Shavo has played with the idea in the past:

What is the story with your new Gibson Signature bass?

For the last year and a half, I’ve been working with Gibson to design a Shavo bass. I just got the first prototype a few weeks ago. It’s my idea of what a bass should be. I used a 1976 headstock because it’s bigger and has more body. It has neck-through-body construction, but I changed the neck so it feels like this Jazz Bass neck that I like. It also has a toggle switch on it so I can hold a note with my left hand and cut the sound on and off with my right hand like a DJ would do with a fader. The tone is already set the way I like it, so it doesn’t have any tone knobs—just two big volume knobs for the bridge and neck pickups. If you like the sound, you’re going to buy it. I didn’t put my name all over it. It’s just a cool-looking bass that sounds great.

I’m already working on a second model, which is a five-string fretless bass. It’s the perfect bass for what I’m playing with Achozen right now, which is more hip-hop-oriented. The System bass is a regular four-string, and the Achozen bass is a five-string fretless.

The pictured model seems to feature a tone knob (the strange alignment is probably intentional) and the headstock is not a large vintage one though but that might be compromises for the envisaged wider market.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:17:23 AM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

Looks like a "Studio" headstock..........Makes you wonder if thats what's really going on there  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile

Looks like a "Studio" headstock..........

Kind of what I was thinking. It looks pointier than standard ones. Also, this Shavo guy is wrong in my opinion. It's NOT a cool looking bass.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Yes, it looks like the deleted Studio headstocks of yore. Traditionalists will gasp, but I did not think these too bad, but then I always liked the Victory headstock too.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
 Still waiting for those NRs...........................I hear they are in the works.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

n!k

• View Profile
I was just pondering if Gibson was going to reissue the Thunderbird Studio 5-string since Dethklok made it popular. Maybe they will in time? Gibson's bass department always has the worst luck of what will be popular and when people decide to notice what they do.
Half-speed Hawkwind

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
There was absolutely no reason why the Studio TBird line failed. It was affordable, good quality, looked different, had gently modernized the TBird concept and catered to 5 stringers with an instrument with a B string as mighty as the Normandy invasion. Baffles me how no one bought it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:50:02 AM by uwe »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
 I liked the studios, I couldn't find a trans cherry one and then just like that they were gone.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Barklessdog

• View Profile
They can still be had reasonably on Ebay from time to time.