Author Topic: Gibson EB-650 (on UK auction 16/6/18)  (Read 11839 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: Gibson EB-650 (on UK auction 16/6/18)
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 09:01:37 AM »
That's the exact one!!!!!! Same finish as my LBP-1. Best / easiest recording bass I have ever owned, and I have always loved this look ... not normally a fan of black hardware but it just seems to work perfectly on the yellow + black burst with the ebony board.

I got mine on ebay for $665 USD in 2006 (about $875 AUD at current exchange rates, or would be about $1085 AUD at current rates after adjusting for US inflation?) . I didn't realize they had appreciated that much over 12 years, or maybe US basses in AU are just always expensive?

Might also be some differences in condition too ... that's a pretty photo, and mine came to me with its share of dings... not a lot of detail visible there though.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 01:38:37 PM »
Aren't these very similar to the EB-750, albeit with Trini-style holes?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 02:25:50 PM »
Lots of similarities, yes.
But the EB-750 is an active bass with Bartolini humbuckers. Those sound quite different.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 06:02:02 PM »
Aren't these very similar to the EB-750, albeit with Trini-style holes?

Lots of similarities, yes.
But the EB-750 is an active bass with Bartolini humbuckers. Those sound quite different.

Rob has seen Uwe's and I've never seen either in person, but IIRC the 650 is a thinline and the 750 is full depth. Also, the 750 has a mahogany neck.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 06:04:01 PM »
That's the exact one!!!!!! Same finish as my LBP-1. Best / easiest recording bass I have ever owned, and I have always loved this look ... not normally a fan of black hardware but it just seems to work perfectly on the yellow + black burst with the ebony board.

I got mine on ebay for $665 USD in 2006 (about $875 AUD at current exchange rates, or would be about $1085 AUD at current rates after adjusting for US inflation?) . I didn't realize they had appreciated that much over 12 years, or maybe US basses in AU are just always expensive?

Might also be some differences in condition too ... that's a pretty photo, and mine came to me with its share of dings... not a lot of detail visible there though.

They haven't appreciated that much here, that price is probably typical for Australia based on what I've seen posted over the years.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 06:41:46 PM »
They haven't appreciated that much here, that price is probably typical for Australia based on what I've seen posted over the years.
I payed a pretty penny for a TV yellow one. That would make me a statistical outlier. Admitedly, I was impulsive and didn't want to haggle or have to worry about being outbid. At least it seemed to be in excellent condition. I'll know for sure by Thursday when it arrives.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 11:52:50 PM »
I payed a pretty penny for a TV yellow one. That would make me a statistical outlier. Admitedly, I was impulsive and didn't want to haggle or have to worry about being outbid. At least it seemed to be in excellent condition. I'll know for sure by Thursday when it arrives.

Nice move. About 10 years ago I was outbid on a TV yellow which had a reasonable starting price (735$ and favorable exchange rate in Swedish Crowns). Auction end was during night hours and I went cheap and laid a maximum bid of 760$. It ended close to 900$. Still a bit bugged about that since the TV yellows are quite rare. You see two tone sunbursts more often which are nice as well but if I ever buy one I'd prefer the yellow.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 08:52:59 AM »

Nice move. About 10 years ago I was outbid on a TV yellow which had a reasonable starting price (735$ and favorable exchange rate in Swedish Crowns). Auction end was during night hours and I went cheap and laid a maximum bid of 760$. It ended close to 900$. Still a bit bugged about that since the TV yellows are quite rare. You see two tone sunbursts more often which are nice as well but if I ever buy one I'd prefer the yellow.

That's understandable. You want it and you're willing to pay for it. The downside is that some sellers who don't have rarer colors (or a rarer edition, like the early passive LPB-1) think they can get as much.

And yet Chicago Music Exchange has had a cherry '94 LPB-1 in VG condition at $995 for a very long time. The latest Reverb listing is four months old but it's been much longer than that. It has a Make Offer button and it's always been included in their frequent 15% off sales. How is it that this one hasn't sold?

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 07:35:52 AM »
And yet Chicago Music Exchange has had a cherry '94 LPB-1 in VG condition at $995 for a very long time. The latest Reverb listing is four months old but it's been much longer than that. It has a Make Offer button and it's always been included in their frequent 15% off sales. How is it that this one hasn't sold?

That's just like mine (also a '94) before I bling-ed it out. The finish has seen better days, but looks good overall.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 07:47:50 AM »
^^^

That's normal looking wear for nitro over mahogany bass that's been gigged. Honest wear.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2018, 09:13:15 AM »
Now that Dave mentions it, a 25 or more year old bass with no blemishes does make me wonder. How did it survive unscathed for so long? And speaking of nitro, do people here think the modern Gibsons finished in Pelham blue will age into the same shade of green as the old ones did? The EB-650 still looks a very vivid shade of blue for it's age. Gear head, what kind of bling does your LPB have?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:31:54 AM by 4stringer77 »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 11:19:57 AM »
Now that Dave mentions it, a 25 or more year old bass with no blemishes does make me wonder. How did it survive unscathed for so long? And speaking of nitro, do people here think the modern Gibsons finished in Pelham blue will age into the same shade of green as the old ones did? The EB-650 still looks a very vivid shade of blue for it's age. Gear head, what kind of bling does your LPB have?

You never know. My '63 P spent 23 years in a closet at my parents' house.  If I had sold it when I retrieved it in 1997, the condition would have been as good or better.  It still has no blemishes, because I'm pretty careful with my basses.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 11:26:37 AM »
Hard to say b/c nitro lacquer formulations have changed over the years. At least some of that is due to environmental regulations. 90s Gibsons that aren't exposed to direct sunlight haven't faded much if at all. That's probably due to UV inhibitors that no one thought about 50 or 60 years ago.

There would never have been a Fender butterscotch blond if Leo had used today's UV inhibitors. The original color was a much lighter blond.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2018, 07:12:38 AM »
^^^

That's normal looking wear for nitro over mahogany bass that's been gigged. Honest wear.

It looks better then mine, I can say that for sure!  ;D Played probably a couple hundred cover band gigs with it after my old band Ivory Wire split. (That bass was paid for via IW's Budweiser sponsorship actually).

Gear head, what kind of bling does your LPB have?

Chrome bridge and tuners, reflector knobs, T-bird style pickup rings, and metal output jack plate.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 07:24:26 AM »
Well the bass arrived safe and sound. There is some playing wear on the frets but the rest of the bass is fairly pristine. Can't plug it in at work but everything else checks out. The neck has what I call an acceptable amount of relief but I'll probably have it set up to get the action a little lower. In addition to the Levy's gig bag, the seller threw in a nice road case that fits well. Interestingly, even though the finish appears opaque in pictures; it is certainly semi transparent after all, like it's namesake TV yellow finish color should be. I captured some grain on the back of the bass.