Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 241031 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #3960 on: January 23, 2024, 11:02:44 PM »
I would be hard-pressed to find someone who was a better guitarist/singer than Terry Kath.  Hendrix probably really did think Kath was better.  In real life JH was pretty shy and even humble, unlike his image on stage.  As for Kath, for me personally, it's his voice which really gets to me.  If I could choose a voice to sound like, it would probably be his. 

Here is more from Sheryl Crow, my favorite song by her.  Also, here is Sheryl with Mick Jagger.  It's probably not their best performance, but I really like the song.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 07:14:36 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: January 24, 2024, 09:04:57 AM »

Dylan & Ronson, lovely though unlikely combination. Ronson didn't even like Dylan's music nor was he especially acquainted with his work, but after a drunken session in Greenwich Village, Dylan extended an offer to him for the tour the next day. Ronson first thought he was joking - he wasn't. Ronson's wife (not much of a Dylan fan either): "You have to do this." Always listen to your wife!

PS: According to my most recent count, there are four (!) electric guitarists (including Dylan himself), one acoustic guitarist and one steel guitarist playing Hard Rain in that vid, did Dylan really need them all for a three chord song?  :mrgreen: Scorsese's film about the tour is nevertheless well worth a watch.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 01:44:18 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: January 24, 2024, 10:58:57 AM »
I just happened to see this earlier this morning.  Jewel was the opening act for Dylan.  He hadn't even bothered listening to her.  His manager said he never listened to his opening acts.  But when he heard that Jewel had been having security kick out people who had been talking during her performances, Dylan was impressed by that.  He began talking to Jewel and gave her career advice.

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: January 24, 2024, 02:53:27 PM »

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: January 24, 2024, 04:50:38 PM »
Great suit.

And even Spice Girls are redeemed.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3965 on: January 24, 2024, 04:51:10 PM »

I love that tune and the chorus, but I can't understand the meaning of any six words in a row in that tune.  I looked up the lyrics and it might as well have been sung in Patagoonian - other than the chorus.

But that's my reaction to much of Dylan's writing. Often good tunes, some good hooks ("everybody must get stoned") and aside from that, mostly incomprehensible lyrics. That was often the case with some 60s and 70s music -  the lyrics made no sense to me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: January 24, 2024, 05:24:50 PM »
I love that tune and the chorus, but I can't understand the meaning of any six words in a row in that tune.  I looked up the lyrics and it might as well have been sung in Patagoonian - other than the chorus.

But that's my reaction to much of Dylan's writing. Often good tunes, some good hooks ("everybody must get stoned") and aside from that, mostly incomprehensible lyrics. That was often the case with some 60s and 70s music -  the lyrics made no sense to me.

This doesn't clear up the lyrics which seem incomprehensible.  But looking at the interpretations, it helps to know it is Dylan trying to reconcile his older with his younger self.  The younger self was idealistic and certain.  The older self isn't so sure and now sees gray rather than just black and white. 

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3967 on: January 24, 2024, 05:49:21 PM »
This doesn't clear up the lyrics which seem incomprehensible.  But looking at the interpretations, it helps to know it is Dylan trying to reconcile his older with his younger self.  The younger self was idealistic and certain.  The older self isn't so sure and now sees gray rather than just black and white.

I think that's quite accurate. It's the other 95% of the song I haven't a clue about. But that's normal for me and Dylan.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: January 24, 2024, 06:11:11 PM »
Doug turns 88 today.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: January 24, 2024, 06:15:43 PM »
RIP Melanie

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: January 24, 2024, 06:22:46 PM »
I think that's quite accurate. It's the other 95% of the song I haven't a clue about. But that's normal for me and Dylan.

I feel the same way.  Plus, Dylan is on such a level that I wouldn't even try to totally understand him.  George Harrison idolized him so much that he began trying to sound like Dylan when he sang.  Personally, I don't think that was a good idea.  But that's what happened.  Jimi Hendrix took a book of Dylan's lyrics around with him all the time in case he needed to be inspired. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: January 25, 2024, 02:53:56 AM »
RIP Melanie

Oh my, how sad. I really loved that song as a kid, the innocent sex innuendo of the lyrics. Melanie wasn’t a great singer, but she had a voice.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3972 on: January 25, 2024, 09:02:35 AM »
Doug turns 88 today.

Incredible that he could actually play that fiddle while moving around like that.  I see rosin halfway up the fingerboard.  But it worked for him!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: January 25, 2024, 11:17:30 AM »
This has been my favorite song by 38 Special for years.  I couldn't find a live version I liked.  So I just decided to post this. 

« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 11:45:27 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: January 25, 2024, 11:23:27 PM »
Incredible that he could actually play that fiddle while moving around like that.  I see rosin halfway up the fingerboard.  But it worked for him!

I don't know if he's playing gigs any more, he's at least semi-retired and living in Colorado. He was selling some of his vast fiddle collection one by one on eBay a few years ago, signed upon request.

But he was still moving around while playing as late as 2016. It's just his style.