Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 241009 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #3825 on: December 05, 2023, 05:45:28 PM »
Tarja is the opera-trained

original singer of Finnish Symphonic Metallers Nightwish, Dave! She's the Holy Mother of all things Goth.

She only wears that type of overall make-up for her Goth Christmas albums, there is even two of them!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 07:15:44 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: December 05, 2023, 06:00:48 PM »
I always thought that song something extremely special. So is Grace Jones' performance.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: December 06, 2023, 10:04:24 PM »
Grace Jones too? Do we need a separate thread for women with hideous makeup?

Apologies if I've posted this before. I love hearing a Freddy Fender and Doug Sahm duet. Both gone too soon.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: December 06, 2023, 10:40:16 PM »
Brutus from Belgium.  Periodically, i reset everything on YouTube settings.  This is one of the bands that appeared. I don't know much about them.  The drummer is a metal fan.  Either the guitarist or bassist is a country fan.  I think the bassist.  Their music has been described as post-rock.  That's not a genre I would normally listen to, but this time I did.  Lars Ulrich has given his approval to Brutus.  Most likely because he likes the prominent role the drummer has in the band. 

Originally, the drummer was going to just focus on playing drums and doing backing vocals.  Wisely, the other two members convinced her she needed to be the lead singer.  There is no other lead singer they could have ever found that would have been better than Stefanie the drummer. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: December 07, 2023, 04:11:39 AM »
OMGoth, an alt prog metal Karen Carpenter! Tool + Porcupine Tree fans will no doubt cream into their pants at first listen.

However, there is just too much windy draft on stage, at this rate Stefanie will catch a cold! And all her borderline personality disorder fans will be even more highly distraught because of it.  :mrgreen:

It's well executed, she drums nicely and sings well, I don't mind the bleak alt/post rock vibe, but the rampaging heavy parts are a matter of taste, I could never really get into this stuff, verging on the too industrial for me. But it's an interesting three-piece.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 04:56:43 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: December 07, 2023, 06:01:31 AM »
"Grace Jones too? Do we need a separate thread for women with hideous makeup?"

:mrgreen:

Look Dave, things have to fit, an urban hymn like Slave to the Rhythm wouldn't have worked with someone singing or looking like Emmylou Harris! And Frau Jones is a former fashion model and hip society diva darling whose carefully calibrated image is based on that boundary-stretching shtik, be it male/female or human/cyborg.

https://www.wmagazine.com/culture/grace-jones-iconic-style-moments

It's a bit like complaining about Alice Cooper's or Gene Simmons' make-up.

Now for my question: Is she real country?

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: December 07, 2023, 07:48:24 AM »
OMGoth, an alt prog metal Karen Carpenter! Tool + Porcupine Tree fans will no doubt cream into their pants at first listen.

However, there is just too much windy draft on stage, at this rate Stefanie will catch a cold! And all her borderline personality disorder fans will be even more highly distraught because of it.  :mrgreen:

It's well executed, she drums nicely and sings well, I don't mind the bleak alt/post rock vibe, but the rampaging heavy parts are a matter of taste, I could never really get into this stuff, verging on the too industrial for me. But it's an interesting three-piece.

I'm not sure how much I'll ever be able to get into it, either.  I did, however, order all their CDs.  It's the guitar that gets to me.  It's like rock got tired of being rock, morphed into something else, but it doesn't feel quite comfortable with that, either.  But for someone who isn't deeply rooted in a rock background, I can see how all of this might work and seem perfectly in order.  It's Stefanie's vocals I like the best.  It appears that it took her quite a while to understand that she is a natural singer.  Like I said, her bandmates had to convince her to be the lead singer.  However, it's actually piano that she has the most musical training in.  Picked up drums at an early age, though.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: December 07, 2023, 09:05:46 AM »
There is something Radiohead'ish to the guitar work too.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: December 07, 2023, 09:53:48 AM »
Nope, no Grace Jones for me.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: December 07, 2023, 10:44:04 AM »
Cool, the origins of rock'n'roll sax. And those Little Richard/Prince shrieks.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: December 07, 2023, 10:45:05 AM »
There is something Radiohead'ish to the guitar work too.

That may very well explain my reaction to it then.  I don't much like Radiohead.  I also don't like it when people compare Radiohead to Muse.  Despite their music supposedly being really good, I've never related to Radiohead.  I have to file it under one of those bands that I just don't get.  Kind of similar to the way I feel about U2.

--Blaise Pascal

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: December 07, 2023, 10:51:36 AM »
That may very well explain my reaction to it then.  I don't much like Radiohead.  I also don't like it when people compare Radiohead to Muse.  Despite their music supposedly being really good, I've never related to Radiohead.  I have to file it under one of those bands that I just don't get.  Kind of similar to the way I feel about U2.

I'm not really a Radiohead fan, either, but I do really love the album The Bends for some reason.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: December 07, 2023, 10:53:18 AM »
It's that deconstructivist approach to guitar playing, just listen to the lead guitar of Creep.

I despise Radiohead for their shoegazerish whiny attitude, but, yup, they were influential, much to my chagrin.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: December 07, 2023, 12:21:23 PM »
A wee bit of Waylon.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: December 07, 2023, 01:16:31 PM »
I'm not really a Radiohead fan, either, but I do really love the album The Bends for some reason.

I've never listened to any complete albums all the way through.  I've heard various songs by them.  Also, I forced myself to watch a concert on TV to try to give them a chance.  The same way I did with U2. 

--Blaise Pascal