Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 241031 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #3765 on: November 24, 2023, 12:59:24 PM »
Dolly is unique. She has given a great deal of good music to the world, and she makes no pretense at being anything other than what she is.

She's not a parody because she hasn't changed. She fully admits to using every bit of makeup, wigs and anything else that help her look good, and her voice is remarkably unchanged given that she's in her late 70s.

Does she play rock? No, but the earlier comment to the effect that it's a pop album done rock style is a pretty good explanation. That's fine.  I don't need Dolly to try and become Ozzy Osborne, Jimmy Page or Brian Johnson.

My wife puts it best, and it's a statement that I am too smart to argue with:  "I'm just normal for me."

Good for her.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: November 24, 2023, 03:09:28 PM »
On TV somebody said today that "this is Dolly's world, and we're all living in it."
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3767 on: November 24, 2023, 05:40:05 PM »
On TV somebody said today that "this is Dolly's world, and we're all living in it."

If we had a helluva lot more people like Dolly, it would be a better world.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: November 24, 2023, 05:43:13 PM »
I honestly feel that Dolly is one of the greatest human beings ever.  And that most people wouldn't understand that statement probably makes it even better in her favor.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: November 24, 2023, 11:07:55 PM »
If we had a helluva lot more people like Dolly, it would be a better world.

Yes, it would be.  Sadly, though, I'd say the vain and selfish greatly outnumber those who are similar to Dolly Parton in the world. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: November 24, 2023, 11:59:18 PM »
I've been following Dolly since the beginning, even before Porter Wagoner, when she was first writing songs with her uncle and backing Bill Phillips on Put It Off Until Tomorrow. I don't need to be told anything about her. She's done much good and given much of herself and her fortune to the world.

But I still think she's damaged her musical reputation and legacy with this rock star silliness. It's sad. You're free to disagree, but you definitely won't change my opinion.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: November 25, 2023, 08:24:34 AM »
But I still think she's damaged her musical reputation and legacy with this rock star silliness. It's sad. You're free to disagree, but you definitely won't change my opinion.

OMFG, how can one duff album - assuming 'Rockstar' sucks for sake of argument here - "damage (the) musical reputation and legacy" of an artist with the longevity and richness of body of work of Ms Parton? That is too grand and absolute a statement for me. 'Let It Be' (the album) didn't damage the legacy of The Beatles either - it’s just a weak album, shit happens.

I can’t believe with how much pious sourpuss earnestness this one-off-album is viewed between those who see it as a sacrilege against rock music and those who view Dolly’s novelty trip into the dusty memory lanes of rock & pop as treachery against C&W, a music form that is a hodgepodge of different influences (like rock actually).

Dolly could convert to Islam and record a Reggae album in Mandarin in my book and it wouldn’t tarnish anything she has done before. Or after - if anything good comes up.

By your standards, Dave, Blackmore’s silly forays  for now three decades into Renaissance music have diminished/tainted what he did on 'In Rock', 'Machine Head', 'Made in Japan' and 'Burn' - of course they haven’t! You’re beginning to sound like a friggin’ Led Zep fan, they share the same dogmatic outlook.

So Dolly has now arranged a little flash-in-the-pan media circus around her with the release of this album. I mean how could she, given that most of her previous career/life was hellbent on avoiding any kind of limelight and/or attention? What a dereliction of faith and taste.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 08:30:14 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3772 on: November 25, 2023, 09:07:08 AM »
Opinions will differ, but to me Dolly has done so many things so well that she's entitled to put out an album for fun. If it's no more than that, it's great with me. There's enough weird, unlistenable crap out there that Dolly shines by comparison. 

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: November 25, 2023, 10:32:03 AM »
I only heard about Dolly beginning with Porter Wagoner.  That was a really long time ago.  I assumed he was the one who gave her a big break and she hadn't done anything before that.  My opinion of her has changed through the years.  For a long time, I thought she must be getting so much attention because of her physical attributes.  That didn't matter much to me because there are plenty of women with nice physical attributes.  It's not like there is a shortage of that.  Like I've already said, I never liked her voice very much.  Now that doesn't matter much.  That's just subjective anyway.  I've always been impressed by some of the other artists she performed with.  That worked out well.  My attitude toward the so-called rock album is neutral.  There are some people on there who are of interest to me. However, it's doubtful I'll buy the CD.  In fact, the place where I buy CDs doesn't even offer it, although, of course, there are other places. Still, there is no way I can take Dolly Parton seriously as a rock artist.  At this point, I look up to her more as a humanitarian who is genuinely interested in good will.  That's admirable.  So many celebrities are self-centered and I actually don't think she is.  I might add, in closing, that she may be more of a force in country music than I realized.  I've been around country music a lot, but can't say that I'm any kind of expert at all. 

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3774 on: November 25, 2023, 11:14:39 AM »
I only heard about Dolly beginning with Porter Wagoner.  That was a really long time ago.  I assumed he was the one who gave her a big break and she hadn't done anything before that.  My opinion of her has changed through the years.  For a long time, I thought she must be getting so much attention because of her physical attributes.  That didn't matter much to me because there are plenty of women with nice physical attributes.  It's not like there is a shortage of that.  Like I've already said, I never liked her voice very much.  Now that doesn't matter much.  That's just subjective anyway.  I've always been impressed by some of the other artists she performed with.  That worked out well.  My attitude toward the so-called rock album is neutral.  There are some people on there who are of interest to me. However, it's doubtful I'll buy the CD.  In fact, the place where I buy CDs doesn't even offer it, although, of course, there are other places. Still, there is no way I can take Dolly Parton seriously as a rock artist.  At this point, I look up to her more as a humanitarian who is genuinely interested in good will.  That's admirable.  So many celebrities are self-centered and I actually don't think she is.  I might add, in closing, that she may be more of a force in country music than I realized.  I've been around country music a lot, but can't say that I'm any kind of expert at all.

This sums it up pretty well for me, too...even the progression of thoughts about why she was successful. Now she's a unique personality and performer.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: November 25, 2023, 12:13:31 PM »
Again, I'm not going to change my opinion.

Let me remember Dolly the way she was, before the plastic surgery, grotesque makeup, and showing her great-grandma aged legs in short shorts.

Harrumph! Harrumph! Harrumph!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3776 on: November 25, 2023, 06:35:10 PM »
I'm tempted, but not gonna do it..... 8)

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: November 25, 2023, 06:48:06 PM »
I didn't get a harrumph outta that guy!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: November 25, 2023, 09:14:55 PM »
At no time in her life did I deem Dolly physically attractive + her speaking voice is way too squeaky and high for me, that is always a turn-off for me. I find the Emmylou Harris/Carly Simon/Joni Mitchell type way more attractive. Linda Ronstadt's prettiness never did anything for me either - too sweet.

Edith is always worried when I say that I find someone like Alan’s country(wo)man Tilda Swinton attractive - she fears for the longevity of my heterosexual programming! :mrgreen:

I liked Dolly‘s acting (or playing herself) in Steel Magnolias though.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 09:30:15 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: November 25, 2023, 10:14:18 PM »
At no time in her life did I deem Dolly physically attractive + her speaking voice is way too squeaky and high for me, that is always a turn-off for me. I find the Emmylou Harris/Carly Simon/Joni Mitchell type way more attractive. Linda Ronstadt's prettiness never did anything for me either - too sweet.

Edith is always worried when I say that I find someone like Alan’s country(wo)man Tilda Swinton attractive - she fears for the longevity of my heterosexual programming! :mrgreen:

I liked Dolly‘s acting (or playing herself) in Steel Magnolias though.

I was working in a travel agency in Alexandria, Louisiana around 1988.  One day a customer, very excited, told us all about a movie that was being filmed in Natchitoches, over 50 miles away.  Evidently, he had been hired as an extra.  He was almost pleading for some of us to go over there, too.  He said they were pretty desperate to hire more extras.  The pay was good and they would be filming for quite a while.  I wish I had gone now.  It would have most likely been better than that travel agency job.  But if I had gone, then when someone said they liked Dolly's acting in "Steel Magnolias." I could have said, "oh, yeah, I was in that movie, too." 

--Blaise Pascal