Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 241027 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #3165 on: May 17, 2023, 10:26:10 AM »
I have most of her 60s stuff. She's better known as Pretty Miss Norma Jean (even now in her mid-80s) b/c that's how Porter Wagoner usually introduced her. She's no longer performing but she still makes occasional appearances at Heart of Texas Music Association events. She left Porter's show to get married, that's when he hired a young Dolly.

Ah, another one of Dave's Prom Night heartthrobs then.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: May 17, 2023, 01:34:26 PM »
Ah, another one of Dave's Prom Night heartthrobs then.

I did have a bit of a crush on her back then.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: May 18, 2023, 06:51:07 AM »
How I know you.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3168 on: May 18, 2023, 07:39:06 AM »
I have most of her 60s stuff. She's better known as Pretty Miss Norma Jean (even now in her mid-80s) b/c that's how Porter Wagoner usually introduced her. She's no longer performing but she still makes occasional appearances at Heart of Texas Music Association events. She left Porter's show to get married, that's when he hired a young Dolly.

Porter's show was as real as it gets. Syndicated and taped, but all the performances were done live.

The early years were sponsored by Black Draught Laxative and Cardui tonic for women. Here's an early performance.

What the heck guitar is that guy playing?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: May 18, 2023, 08:21:49 AM »
That song was incredibly catchy, yet weird, a huge hit in Germany 1970. Sort of a demonic Shocking Blue.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: May 18, 2023, 08:33:53 AM »
Now that is rare: Ian Hunter without shades and playing bass (with what looks like a very exhausting mostly down strokes picking "technique" if you can call it that ...) - in his Hamburg Star Club days and pre-Mott the Hoople.

The new album, aptly called Defiance Pt. 1,  kicketh the proverbial butt.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: May 18, 2023, 04:31:53 PM »
What the heck guitar is that guy playing?

Not sure, maybe an early Gretsch Firebird.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3172 on: May 19, 2023, 02:43:05 AM »
I listen to music while working, that is the secret. It helps me concentrate. I know that sounds weird, but (wo)man is a creature of habit. When I do work (and most of my work is either writing or reading unless I'm in a video conference call), I get distracted by the natural sound ambience of a quiet room if there is no music running (I see dead people ... hear things!)..

Same for me. I remember my parents never understood why I had music on when I had to learn for school. I needed the music to focus. Otherwise I would be distracted by any other noise.

And I often do power play, like several albums of one artist, currently  abox of remastered King's X which never did much for me, but I'm finally getting the hang of it!

Ah finally. Kings X are great.  Dug Pinnick is an amazing singer and bass player. And the harmony vocals of Kings X are beautifully Beatlesque.

That said, retirement is almost fully here. As of this month, I'm an officially retired partner of Clifford Chance. I'm turning 63 this year and with CC - it's part of the package every partner buys into - by the end of fifty at the latest "succession discussions" commence, the iceberg needs to melt at the top to make room for younger generation partners. I'm from now on what we call an Of Counsel, basically a freelancer to the firm. I might do this a few more years, let's see.

Wow! Congratulations!
I'm a bit jealous now. I have to continue for another 12 or 13 years ;)

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: May 19, 2023, 06:16:51 AM »
I listen to music while working, that is the secret. It helps me concentrate. I know that sounds weird, but (wo)man is a creature of habit. When I do work (and most of my work is either writing or reading unless I'm in a video conference call), I get distracted by the natural sound ambience of a quiet room if there is no music running (I see dead people ... hear things!).. And I often do power play, like several albums of one artist, currently  abox of remastered King's X which never did much for me, but I'm finally getting the hang of it!

That said, retirement is almost fully here. As of this month, I'm an officially retired partner of Clifford Chance. I'm turning 63 this year and with CC - it's part of the package every partner buys into - by the end of fifty at the latest "succession discussions" commence, the iceberg needs to melt at the top to make room for younger generation partners. I'm from now on what we call an Of Counsel, basically a freelancer to the firm. I might do this a few more years, let's see.

Congrats!  It's not as easy as you might think.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: May 19, 2023, 08:53:13 AM »
At this point, it feels a bit weird, like being marooned at some vacation destination.  ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3175 on: May 19, 2023, 12:36:41 PM »
I reported to two different directors at my last job - and usually they both let me go my own way.  I got a new director on one side and thought I was doing OK, but in a Friday meeting he gave me feedback that told me clearly that I wasn't reading him or understanding his style. The other director was usually good with me running things the way I thought best, but was doing some things to one of my staff members that I felt were thoughtless.

I went home, talked it over with my wife, and decided that the first director didn't need to irritate me any more, and I didn't need to irritate him. He was a "new wave" guy who I respected and supported, but it was clear that I wasn't the right guy for him.

On Monday I presented my letter of resignation effective in two months, the day before my 69th birthday.  I thought retirement was a pretty nice birthday gift. 

And on the Friday after I retired, I threw a party for friends, colleagues and neighbors at our lakeside picnic area.  Had a very nice time and that kind of put a party cap on the week.  And I haven't regretted it for one microsecond.  Retirement is nice.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: May 19, 2023, 01:05:40 PM »
Retirement is nice. But we’ve since taken on the role of care givers and look after my mother-in-law.
It’s given me much more time to actually spend playing. And I take advantage of that.
It’s not hard to keep busy.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: May 20, 2023, 06:40:26 AM »
Jack Bruce's FB page announced that Pete Brown passed away last night. He was Jack's co-writer on so many Cream songs and Theme for an Imaginary Western. RIP.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: May 20, 2023, 12:54:15 PM »
A great loss.  It's hard to imagine what Cream would have been like without Pete Brown's lyrics. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: May 22, 2023, 03:54:35 PM »

Link to a Facebook video of a friend , I think this was shot in Ottawa last weekend. Garrett usually plays guitar , but does play a few songs on bass. He’s using a capo , and doesn’t use common technique , he’s a unique thing. Garrett is off on a two month tour right now and we miss having him around the favourite dive downtown. Just a low budget tour of him solo , he’s driving right across the country. Couple amps and guitar, couple changes of clothes. Driving by himself.
He’s the son of Dutch Mason , who was somewhat of a Canadian legend.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 04:04:35 PM by morrow »