Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240890 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #3150 on: May 14, 2023, 06:22:50 AM »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3151 on: May 14, 2023, 12:26:54 PM »
Not real country.

"Watsja gonna do when it all burnsj down"

Dolly's face is pulled so tight she can pronounce the words properly anymore.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: May 14, 2023, 09:54:24 PM »
"Watsja gonna do when it all burnsj down"

Dolly's face is pulled so tight she can pronounce the words properly anymore.

And year after year, they move the camera farther away from her face.  ;D

I don't watch award shows of any kind but from short clips I've seen, this is what today's so-called country music has become: it's all about the performance, not about the music. It's pop star stuff.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: May 15, 2023, 02:41:31 AM »
And year after year, they move the camera farther away from her face.  ;D

I don't watch award shows of any kind but from short clips I've seen, this is what today's so-called country music has become: it's all about the performance, not about the music. It's pop star stuff.

Just another example of Jack Bruce being right and many other people being wrong. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: May 15, 2023, 02:50:00 PM »
Sparks revisit their midseventies power pop and want to go back into the womb ("I can live with a lousy view."  :mrgreen: ).

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3155 on: May 16, 2023, 10:10:03 AM »
Sparks revisit their midseventies power pop and want to go back into the womb ("I can live with a lousy view."  :mrgreen: ).

That's fun stuff right there, I like it!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: May 16, 2023, 02:05:09 PM »
You're just writing that to be nice, as if I didn't know. No one - and I mean no one - gives a rat's ass about Sparks in this forum. They don't even register with you enough to be ignored. You've disowned the California Twins. Sad.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: May 16, 2023, 04:11:13 PM »
I like Sparks.  Their documentary was really good.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3158 on: May 16, 2023, 04:30:19 PM »
You're just writing that to be nice, as if I didn't know. No one - and I mean no one - gives a rat's ass about Sparks in this forum. They don't even register with you enough to be ignored. You've disowned the California Twins. Sad.

I can freely admit to not knowing much of anything about them, I'm envious of the time that you have to listen to everything you do. i need to retire, or at least start working one less day a week.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: May 16, 2023, 08:04:14 PM »
Real country.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: May 17, 2023, 05:55:18 AM »

I can freely admit to not knowing much of anything about them, I'm envious of the time that you have to listen to everything you do. i need to retire, or at least start working one less day a week.

I listen to music while working, that is the secret. It helps me concentrate. I know that sounds weird, but (wo)man is a creature of habit. When I do work (and most of my work is either writing or reading unless I'm in a video conference call), I get distracted by the natural sound ambience of a quiet room if there is no music running (I see dead people ... hear things!).. And I often do power play, like several albums of one artist, currently  abox of remastered King's X which never did much for me, but I'm finally getting the hang of it!

That said, retirement is almost fully here. As of this month, I'm an officially retired partner of Clifford Chance. I'm turning 63 this year and with CC - it's part of the package every partner buys into - by the end of fifty at the latest "succession discussions" commence, the iceberg needs to melt at the top to make room for younger generation partners. I'm from now on what we call an Of Counsel, basically a freelancer to the firm. I might do this a few more years, let's see.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 06:00:53 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: May 17, 2023, 06:07:07 AM »
Real country.

The fiddleress' role model was obviously Norma Jeane? And I mean the actress, Ms Mortenson, because of her platinum blond hair.

That said, there was also a C&W Norma Jean, I didn't know! Dave (that ole Nashville curator) must have though, I guess she even qualifies under his stern, discerning look as real country ... Or is that too Bluegrass already?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 06:12:36 AM by uwe »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3162 on: May 17, 2023, 07:09:14 AM »
Real country.

Well that was fun! Two things I never developed a taste for.  ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: May 17, 2023, 07:12:27 AM »
I have most of her 60s stuff. She's better known as Pretty Miss Norma Jean (even now in her mid-80s) b/c that's how Porter Wagoner usually introduced her. She's no longer performing but she still makes occasional appearances at Heart of Texas Music Association events. She left Porter's show to get married, that's when he hired a young Dolly.

Porter's show was as real as it gets. Syndicated and taped, but all the performances were done live.

The early years were sponsored by Black Draught Laxative and Cardui tonic for women. Here's an early performance.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3164 on: May 17, 2023, 07:42:36 AM »
I listen to music while working, that is the secret. It helps me concentrate. I know that sounds weird, but (wo)man is a creature of habit. When I do work (and most of my work is either writing or reading unless I'm in a video conference call), I get distracted by the natural sound ambience of a quiet room if there is no music running (I see dead people ... hear things!).. And I often do power play, like several albums of one artist, currently  abox of remastered King's X which never did much for me, but I'm finally getting the hang of it!

That said, retirement is almost fully here. As of this month, I'm an officially retired partner of Clifford Chance. I'm turning 63 this year and with CC - it's part of the package every partner buys into - by the end of fifty at the latest "succession discussions" commence, the iceberg needs to melt at the top to make room for younger generation partners. I'm from now on what we call an Of Counsel, basically a freelancer to the firm. I might do this a few more years, let's see.

I'm happy to hear that you'll be making some changes soon, no doubt you've earned the time, congratulations! Enjoy that house by the lake and get the basses out of storage, join a "Dad band"!
 I may be travelling to Europe again in 2025, still in preliminary planning stages.