Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240959 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #3120 on: May 01, 2023, 01:49:19 PM »
MaidaVale is one of the Swedish bands I've been listening to lately.  This is one of their early songs from 2016.  I couldn't find their debut album on CD and had to settle for vinyl.  But their second album is widely available on CD. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: May 02, 2023, 08:31:13 AM »
Another Swedish band I really like.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: May 02, 2023, 08:59:06 AM »
Graveyard gets a lot of respect.  Another Swedish band I've been listening to the past week is Siena Root. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: May 02, 2023, 09:50:49 AM »
Quite the scene they have going on over there!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: May 02, 2023, 11:05:06 AM »
Quite the scene they have going on over there!

It looks like it!  I never know what I will come across next.  Most of it for me is just based on YouTube recommendations.  Why Sweden keeps coming up, I have no idea. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 11:39:50 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: May 02, 2023, 12:41:40 PM »
Graveyard gets a lot of respect.  Another Swedish band I've been listening to the past week is Siena Root. 

I know these guys from a few older albums I have - 70ies Deep Purple and/or Uriah Heep live! -, but I wasn't aware that they now have chick singers, sounds even better than before.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: May 02, 2023, 12:52:25 PM »
I know these guys from a few older albums I have - 70ies Deep Purple and/or Uriah Heep live! -, but I wasn't aware that they now have chick singers, sounds even better than before.

I think they've been around for quite some time.  I've mostly been listening to their latest music.  I just bought their last two CDs, but one hasn't got here yet.  From what I gather, that bassist who plays Rics exclusively must be the leader/producer of the band. 

--Blaise Pascal

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: May 02, 2023, 01:02:02 PM »
More in the stoner rock direction, I've really been enjoying this Italian band.

https://smallstone.bandcamp.com/album/cosmic-blues

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: May 02, 2023, 03:56:40 PM »
I think they've been around for quite some time.  I've mostly been listening to their latest music.  I just bought their last two CDs, but one hasn't got here yet.  From what I gather, that bassist who plays Rics exclusively must be the leader/producer of the band.

In that case you bought the two albums that began to feature women lead vocalists, I had the ones before.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: May 02, 2023, 05:12:46 PM »
In that case you bought the two albums that began to feature women lead vocalists, I had the ones before.

It looks like the blonde female vocalist is now out.  Whether that's a good idea or not, I don't know.  I would have to listen to more of their music.  However, the one female vocalist left seems like she is trying pretty hard to sound like Janis Joplin.  As I've noted before, that's something which can sometimes be problematic with me.  Even Zephyr bothered me a little, although not much.  And although there is still much of Siana Root I need to listen to, I doubt if there is anything there that's going to be on the level of Candy Givens.  I don't want to sell anyone short, but credit needs to be given where credit is due.  That reminds me, I need to listen to that Zephyr CD again soon that I got.  Once was definitely not enough. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: May 02, 2023, 07:09:47 PM »
I think the blonde was just a special guest for the tour.

I like Candy Givens - probably not 24/7, but she had a voice. It came from the soul, she sometimes sounded like a wounded animal, not like someone doing vocal acrobatics and what is that fancy word Dave always uses ... melisma!

(Tommy and his Echoplex - LOL!)

Sure, she must have heard her share of Janis (and Janis' black predecessors), but so what. Not many white girls can sing like that, especially at her tender age.

And she was variable, she could do a Carol King singer/songwriter voice too.

In the end she became a drug casualty, just like her band mate Tommy. Zephyr were a tragic band.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: May 02, 2023, 07:29:15 PM »

A bluesy woman singer would fit with them nicely too.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: May 03, 2023, 12:23:10 AM »
I think the blonde was just a special guest for the tour.

I like Candy Givens - probably not 24/7, but she had a voice. It came from the soul, she sometimes sounded like a wounded animal, not like someone doing vocal acrobatics and what is that fancy word Dave always uses ... melisma!

(Tommy and his Echoplex - LOL!)

Sure, she must have heard her share of Janis (and Janis' black predecessors), but so what. Not many white girls can sing like that, especially at her tender age.

And she was variable, she could do a Carol King singer/songwriter voice too.

In the end she became a drug casualty, just like her band mate Tommy. Zephyr were a tragic band.

Candy Givens sounded natural when she sang.  There was nothing affected about her style.  Had she lived, I'm sure she could have accomplished even much more.  It definitely is a tragedy about those rock figures who died from drugs during that period.  A sad thing that has been left for us. 

My second Siena Root CD should be arriving today.  After listening to that, I should know a lot more than I do now about the band.  Or at least know more about the current line-up.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 01:00:22 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: May 03, 2023, 03:02:49 PM »

Although I definitely like the Italians very much, this stoner rock band Black Road is from Chicago.  I'm not sure how well known they are, but they would probably be fun to watch live.  They played a few years ago at SXSW. 

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 11:50:58 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3134 on: May 04, 2023, 02:42:49 AM »
During the Covid19 period my wife's band (The CrowCatchers) recorded a beautiful song. It's an original Ann Peebles song.
The recordings were done in november 2020. But something went wrong with the tracks. And the recording was cast aside. And with all the lockdowns and other Covid-related misery the song was forgotten...
This week I stumbled upon the song on my iMac that Floor used to record the vocal parts.
And I thought it would be a shame to not share it with the world.
So I made a video with pics of the band plus the lyrics.

Enjoy!
Floor Kraayvanger - Vocals
Jeffrey Migchelsen - Guitars
Donald van der Goes - Bass
Marco Overkamp - Drums