Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240906 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #2670 on: November 11, 2022, 12:06:11 AM »
I am shocked. They always had such practical instruments before.

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/story-behind-zz-tops-spinning-fur-guitars
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 09:17:24 PM by slinkp »
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: November 11, 2022, 03:50:16 AM »
ZZ Top, WTF?

Very Cheap Trick'ish. Rick Nielsen will sue.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 06:08:29 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2672 on: November 11, 2022, 10:05:51 AM »
C'mon guys, that can't be anything but a joke.

Perhaps a lampoon of the silly multistring creations which appear occasionally??  That would actually make sense.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: November 11, 2022, 03:49:22 PM »
Perhaps a lampoon of the silly multistring creations which appear occasionally??  That would actually make sense.
I'd say it is, I found it quite amusing.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: November 11, 2022, 04:07:19 PM »
I've missed this. Motörhead at the Montreaux Jazz Festival. Instantly I thought what about the usual intro: "We are Motörhead, and we play rock n' roll". Yes it came with some forewords. Also skip to 17:15. "This is a rock n' roll song.I could tell you it's a jazz song but it is'nt. it's a rock n' roll song. YOU LIKE ROCK N' ROLL, DON'T YOU? *crowd yeeaaah! Thank you, I'm glad to hear that, cause you're gonna have to sit through this and if you don't it's gonna be f***ing awful. ONE TWO THREE FOUR! And there's more, "Sing along if you like, or play the saxophone". :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: November 11, 2022, 11:23:30 PM »
The 17 string "bass"* was a gag purchase.

* or whatever it is. We don't know the tuning, and the bass range isn't 17  strings wide.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #2676 on: November 11, 2022, 11:55:00 PM »
Yeah I wondered what on earth the tuning could possibly be.
Maybe it's 17 E strings :D

Apparently it really is 17 strings and you can actually buy one (not available in yellow sadly)
https://www.amazon.com/SRLIWHITE-Electric-Rosewood-Fingerboard-Fretless/dp/B09TK22DQ1

My question is.... who else is buying these... and what was in the mind of the builder?

I especially like this note in the listing:
Suitable For: Home-schooling
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: November 12, 2022, 12:27:04 AM »
The 17 string "bass"* was a gag purchase.

* or whatever it is. We don't know the tuning, and the bass range isn't 17  strings wide.

An article I read earlier today suggests that doing stuff like this may also be a way for ZZ Top to deal with their grief.  All of them know Dusty Hill would have found this amusing.  Frank Beard seems to be the one who was most helped by the stunt.  People deal with grief in their own way and it's not for outsiders to say what should or should not be done. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2678 on: November 12, 2022, 08:42:30 AM »
An article I read earlier today suggests that doing stuff like this may also be a way for ZZ Top to deal with their grief.  All of them know Dusty Hill would have found this amusing.  Frank Beard seems to be the one who was most helped by the stunt.  People deal with grief in their own way and it's not for outsiders to say what should or should not be done.

I wondered about that.  Seems reasonable that it was a prank and cathartic to the band.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: November 12, 2022, 05:11:29 PM »
I also like this line from the listing: "This instrument’s neck creates an incredibly comfortable fret-hand feel that's ideal for beginning players or experienced pros alike. "

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: November 12, 2022, 11:58:56 PM »
I also like this line from the listing: "This instrument’s neck creates an incredibly comfortable fret-hand feel that's ideal for beginning players or experienced pros alike. "

If you're an orangutan, it might be. Especially if you're an experienced pro orangutan.  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: November 14, 2022, 06:17:32 AM »
I only wanna know: Are four truss rods really enough?

I'm from an engineering nation, we want stuff that works.

I don't think there are enough bass notes in all of ZZ Top's aggregated musical universe to ever use this thing to its full extent. Dusty would have done fine with one of those Stig Pedersen creations.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 06:27:08 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: November 14, 2022, 11:27:56 AM »

I don't think there are enough bass notes in all of ZZ Top's aggregated musical universe to ever use this thing to its full extent. Dusty would have done fine with one of those Stig Pedersen creations.

You forgot this one...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: November 14, 2022, 03:05:25 PM »
I wondered about that.  Seems reasonable that it was a prank and cathartic to the band.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/jared-dines-elwood-francis-17-string

After reading this article, I think the other one I read may have been making too much of this stunt being something to lighten ZZ Top's grief.  Frank Beard seems to be the one who got the most benefit out of the levity, but that's just the way things turned out.  Of course, that's good, even if it might have been unplanned.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2684 on: November 14, 2022, 05:28:23 PM »
Nice article!