Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240888 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #2595 on: September 28, 2022, 07:26:39 AM »
Cruella de Ville, in a class by themselves - early - mid 80s band from Belfast, fronted by an American-born twin brother and sister

Well that was fun!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: September 28, 2022, 09:03:42 AM »
Those Cruella Twins are nicely frantic and sleazy, remind me of Mad Juana!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #2597 on: September 28, 2022, 11:22:53 AM »
Wow I've never heard Cruella de Ville before. That's criminal, they are right up my alley.
It's like demented new-wave circus ska with a bit of klezmer and something about the attitude reminds me of Sparks.

I wonder if Gogol Bordello heard them?

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: September 28, 2022, 12:35:42 PM »
Well that was fun!

Unfortunately they moved on to other pursuits. Not many recordings. They've had a small following for years. The Muinzer twins are still around, though not in a band.

The flip side of Drunken Uncle John became a Doctor Demento favorite.

More

The softer side

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: September 30, 2022, 04:28:03 PM »
Marc Bolan would have turned 75 today.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: October 01, 2022, 10:55:15 AM »
That a weird audio, the multi-tracked vocals are obviously not live (and Bolan moves away from the mike often while his voice can still be heard full force), but the guitar and Finn’s hectic percussion certainly is. At those Musikladen Extra shows, bands always played live (unlike at the regular Musikladen shows which were canned like Top of the Pops), so Bolan obviously reworked the vocal track in the aftermath. The vocals sound like they were lifted off the original single.

Hearing Bolan’s guitar live, you know why the punks loved him. He was a raucous player. And Mickey Finn (in contrast to his ousted predecessor Steve Peregrin Took) had no idea what he was doing on the congas!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 11:03:01 AM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2601 on: October 01, 2022, 04:42:08 PM »
Marc Bolan would have turned 75 today.

I consider myself very fortunate to have seen Marc and T Rex, I had completely forgotten who else was on the Bill with him that night, after some digging around I find that it was Oct. 19, 1974, he opened for Blue Oyster Cult at The Paramount in Seattle. So glad I grew up in the '70s.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: October 02, 2022, 07:14:56 AM »
I've read that on an US tour with Uriah Heep they gave him a hard time because their brand of heavy rock was more in tune with US audiences. Marc/T. Rex remained a coastal phenomenon in the US of A. He was a great stylist, but not a guitar hero for US audiences. You guys wanted flamboyance AND instrumental ability.

Relations continued to be somewhat strained ever after ...

https://geirmykl.wordpress.com/2014/02/14/article-about-uriah-heep-from-new-musical-express-april-15-1972/

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: October 02, 2022, 08:13:33 AM »
Man, I would have loved to have been there, Alice is best when he does garage  ...

« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 09:44:47 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: October 02, 2022, 11:28:20 AM »
I'm listening to the CD just now and it's a dream. Alice/Vincent hasn't sounded as vibrant in decades. And the band kicks some real shit, but retains that unmatched elegance the Alice Cooper Group always had.

And Dunaway's bass sound is among the best produced/mixed bass sounds I've heard - ever. Absolutely majestic.

I bought the CD as a piece of whimsical nostalgia, I had no idea it would sound as good as it does and that the performance would be so strong. This was a raunch-fest like a New York Dolls- or MC5-gig, no less.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: October 03, 2022, 08:57:06 AM »
Kick ass version:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2606 on: October 04, 2022, 04:43:26 AM »
Went to The Black Crowes last night to see their celebration of the Shake Your Money Maker release 30 (+2) years ago.
The concert was postponed twice because of Covid.

The band was in optima forma.
Chris Robinson was energetic and his voice was excellent.
Rich Robinson was the stoic he's always been. Flashing a minimal smile every now and then.

Their support act was Dutch band DeWolff.
They were impressive as well.
The Robinson were obviously impressed too, since they gave them 15 minutes extra for their slot.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2607 on: October 04, 2022, 09:16:27 AM »
Kick ass version:

I've always loved the lyric "Stood on a ridge and shunned religion, thinkin' the world was mine, made my break and a big mistake stealin' when I shoulda been buyin"  :-*
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: October 04, 2022, 10:29:08 AM »
That a weird audio, the multi-tracked vocals are obviously not live (and Bolan moves away from the mike often while his voice can still be heard full force), but the guitar and Finn’s hectic percussion certainly is. At those Musikladen Extra shows, bands always played live (unlike at the regular Musikladen shows which were canned like Top of the Pops), so Bolan obviously reworked the vocal track in the aftermath. The vocals sound like they were lifted off the original single.

Hearing Bolan’s guitar live, you know why the punks loved him. He was a raucous player. And Mickey Finn (in contrast to his ousted predecessor Steve Peregrin Took) had no idea what he was doing on the congas!  :mrgreen:

They maybe recorded a unique version for the show? Bands mimed on Top of the Pops, but had to cut unique versions of their hits to meet Byzantine musicians union rules. There is a unique version of Black Night for this reason.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2609 on: October 04, 2022, 01:18:29 PM »
Changing it up here...this may be the prettiest tune Neil Young has ever written, and I absolutely LOVE the video they did for it.  My band plays this one and it's a pleasure to practice and play.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."