Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 241009 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #2475 on: August 17, 2022, 04:48:53 AM »
Epitomizes "catchy" for me, first heard it in 1981 on my first visit to the States (Detroit), never left my brain:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2476 on: August 17, 2022, 07:13:47 AM »
Yup, he sure can do it. Yes, it owes a lot to Crosby, Stills & Nash, but there are worse role models to have.

Totally. I actually stumbled across a Graham Nash tune with the same title while I was trying to figure out which member of CSN that TBS sounded most like.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: August 17, 2022, 07:59:40 AM »
Frey's/Henley's lot owe a lot to CSN(&Y). They basically took out the proggie and counterculture ingredients and made it palatable to the masses. CSN(&Y) were more improvisational though - that is a term not listed in Henley's vocabulary.  :mrgreen:

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: August 17, 2022, 11:07:32 AM »

Fun and funky

btw, my iphone doesn't display videos since it's last update. Is it my phone or is it the forum?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: August 17, 2022, 11:18:38 AM »
Your settings old man!

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: August 17, 2022, 11:38:00 AM »
Exactly what do I need to do in settings? This new fangled tech is beyond me for the most part. I figured out my printer wouldn't print recently because somehow commands were being designated to the wrong printer all of a sudden. One day I couldn't sign in to quick books and all I had to do was restart the computer to get it going again. Could you help me out lad?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: August 17, 2022, 11:57:05 AM »
I'm the wrong man to ask unfortunately because I'm still smarting from having to give up my BlackBerry (best business cell ever!) and I'm only "monkey see - monkey do"-acquainted with my iPhone, I actually still try to avoid using it as opposed to my BlackBerry from which I was inseparable. As an Android person, nothing on that goddamn thing strikes me as intuitive. Made for teenagers by teenagers.

My pet theory is that Steve Jobs - albeit secretly - was a member of Led Zep. That would really explain it all.

Given the prevalence of these ghastly things, I'm sure you'll have an answer soon here.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 12:02:17 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: August 18, 2022, 06:08:46 AM »
That vid is just so lovely everytime I see it and encapsulates what GFR were about. Brewer's fro was nothing short of frillin' epic. And Craig Frost didn't like riding motorbikes - typically keyboarder, worried about his hands, the sissy.  :mrgreen:

And as the bare-chested riding of stallions goes, I hate to say, Vladimir, Mark invented it all.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 06:13:47 AM by uwe »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2483 on: August 18, 2022, 08:25:07 AM »
And Craig Frost didn't like riding motorbikes - typically keyboarder, worried about his hands, the sissy.  :mrgreen:

I'd take the Pantera anyway.  ;D

That video very much represents an era.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: August 18, 2022, 09:14:03 AM »
Oh, so that is what the car is called, I was wondering. It's a very elegant, timeless, non-muscle car design. There are things Italians can do right except making love and preparing food after all (mind you: qualities that can get you a long way!).

IMHO, GFR benefitted no end from Craig Frost joining. And I always liked the way he played, also in his later career with Bob Seger. He's still with him.

His stint with Flint (the Farner-devoid GFR remnant with the greatest hair and beards imaginable, long before ZZ Top) where the guitar took a backseat to his "lead keyboards" left some great music too.

They sure found someone who sounded a lot like Farner, that is definitely not Don Brewer singing!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 09:19:57 AM by uwe »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2485 on: August 19, 2022, 07:20:32 AM »
Oh, so that is what the car is called, I was wondering. It's a very elegant, timeless, non-muscle car design. There are things Italians can do right except making love and preparing food after all (mind you: qualities that can get you a long way!).

Italian De Tomaso body with a Ford 351 Cleveland in the rear (calm yourself...). Sold at Lincoln-Mercury dealerships, where my dad worked as a mechanic. He hated working on those things. Lots of cooling issues in the earlier runs.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: August 19, 2022, 09:40:38 AM »
I said it's Italian, I didn't say it would last long!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2487 on: August 21, 2022, 06:19:17 PM »
I just love this version of Harlem Nocturne, which is one of those truly evocative pieces you just can't forget.  Danny Gatton was a unique talent.

There are a few different versions of this on YouTube, because they never seem to have played it twice the same way.  I really like this version.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: August 22, 2022, 03:44:30 AM »
Nice solos (not just by guitar), Gatton's notes-jump-out-the-fretboard phrasing sounds similar to Gary Moore's, probably the jazz influence both had.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: August 22, 2022, 05:26:28 AM »
I'm still trying to get through this, since I only seem to be able to harness the sort of uninterrupted time required for such listening on a long trip in a car with a CD player. While it may be redundant to some, anyone who appreciates the benchmark nature of SITN should love having access the full compendium of the shows from which its tracks were culled. Both the genius of UFO-era Schenker and the always-acerbic Phil Mogg stage banter are on display here, but also of note is overall rock-solid nature of the band itself during this stretch of shows. Having read Pete way's book, it couldn't have been easy. Well worth the $35.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter