Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240909 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #2100 on: January 31, 2022, 03:28:26 AM »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: January 31, 2022, 04:38:52 AM »
Well you must know about this one right? I dig the psychedelic vibe of the Purple version but can understand why  the Cream version is more popular. Is it the only old blues the Purp covered?

That was credited to Skip James even on their first album (they weren't Led Zep after all), but save for the intro, they are basically aping the Cream arrangement. DP's debut was recorded so quickly after their foundation they were at loss for material, hence the many covers. That psychedelic vibe of the first album (and the two albums that followed it) were
quaintly out of touch with musical styles upon release in 1968/69, psychedelia had peaked already and was regarded especially in the UK as yesterday's flavor (there is a reason why Hush was a big hit in the US, but didn't even dent the charts in the UK and Europe).

Purple always had a blues ingredient, among their live material were covers of Going Down and Rock Me Baby, a lot of their songs followed blues patterns: Wring That Neck/Hard Road, Why Didn't Rosemary, Demon's Eye, Lazy, Place In Line. Prior to DP, Jon Lord had basically done nothing else but play in British blues outfits, most prominently in The Artwoods.

It never left him, shortly before his untimely death he was part of a blues project with other Brit blues players from the British Blues Invasion period (or thereabouts). Classical music and the Blues were his main influences.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2102 on: January 31, 2022, 12:01:17 PM »

Maybe old news, but I think these guys are cool and fun - Dig the girl and Dano, nice playing!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: January 31, 2022, 02:02:45 PM »
Jon played some blues with Bob Daisley too.

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?action=post;topic=10941.2100;last_msg=207381

Based on his next band, Captain Beyond, Rod Evans either didn't get the memo about the psychedelic scene being over or he was just too stubborn to accept it.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: January 31, 2022, 03:58:59 PM »
But that's hard rock, Dave!

What is that supposed to mean?

The Angels were called Angel City in the US, since we already had the girl group Angels. Their songs were played on what were then called alt-rock or modern rock stations. That's where I heard them.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: January 31, 2022, 08:19:51 PM »
I just thought I'd mention it for transparency reasons. You know how hard rock has a habit ending up in arenas and stadiums.

"Based on his next band, Captain Beyond, Rod Evans either didn't get the memo about the psychedelic scene being over or he was just too stubborn to accept it."

Perhaps the realization that his voice fitted that type of music well. Evan's wasn't really a hard rock singer, hence his days with Purple were numbered as their music - come the 70ies - got harder at the instigation of Blackmore. And Captain Beyond with their eclectic and esoteric outlook never wanted to be another bluesy US hard rock band, they were after all an Iron Butterfly spin-off. For what they wanted to do, Rod Evans' crooner's voice was just right, he sounded certainly different to any vocalist you might expect on the Capricorn label.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: January 31, 2022, 08:23:34 PM »

Maybe old news, but I think these guys are cool and fun - Dig the girl and Dano, nice playing!

Sigh, the Red Hot Chili Peppers have corrupted a whole generation of young people. Thankfully, lamé suits rather than socks (which would have posed an insurmountable problem for the bassist). I still have to give their new album (which I bought to find out what they were about) a spin.Their Eurovision win has certainly given their career a boost and I'm happy that there is someone out there being young and playing rock even though from what I've heard so far they regard the concept of a real chorus as a relic from the past. That said, no Danelectro has ever looked better than on her (and I bet that Flea was a role model for her).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 08:34:41 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: January 31, 2022, 08:48:40 PM »
There is hope for youth after all.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2108 on: February 01, 2022, 07:41:18 AM »

A Facebook friend of mine posted that last week. Not bad. Not something I'm likely to reach for, but it's not about us old guys.  ;D Singer has a serious love of Perry Farrell.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: February 01, 2022, 09:45:30 AM »
A Facebook friend of mine posted that last week. Not bad. Not something I'm likely to reach for, but it's not about us old guys.  ;D Singer has a serious love of Perry Farrell.

Oh definitely. Add Jane's Addiction to the RHCP influence, my bad.

That said, I'm happy that a young band like them are making an imprint at all. And not just by regurgitating Zep riffs either.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: February 01, 2022, 07:44:26 PM »
I've never really forgiven America for not elevating this band (that epitomized the melting pot) to the heights it deserved. And I know of at least of one Dutchman who agrees with me.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: February 01, 2022, 09:21:35 PM »
I believe this might be at a Dutch festival:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: February 02, 2022, 05:14:06 AM »
Nobody else has a slap sound like Wyzard. Nobody.

And that drummer ended up in one of the Molly Hatchet line ups.

I did prefer Mothers Finest with that keyboarder in the first vid though. He was the icing on the cake.

PS: I've by now personally reached a stage where I don't want to play in bands without a strong keyboarder anymore. It makes everything sound more supple and elevates music from a garage sound.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 08:38:42 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: February 02, 2022, 10:46:28 AM »
A very sparse, but also very gifted version. Less can be more. Lovely Dire Straits'esque guitar solo at 3:33.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: February 02, 2022, 01:36:23 PM »
Video unavailable. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal