Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240963 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #1995 on: December 14, 2021, 05:28:19 AM »
LOL, no you're not, but you're close, you defended Grunge!  :rimshot:

Sin-cerest 'pologies!!!  :-[ I'll listen to some Soundgarden chord changes for ultimate penance. Alas!, that purifying and cleansing Seattle sound sonic chain cilice!

PS: But out of sheer historic interest, I've just ordered the new remaster of the Nirvana debut to give it another try 30 years later. But like with that other supposedly iconic album - The Sex Pistols' Never Mind The Bollocks -  which I dig our every decade or two, I have a hunch that I will continue to shake my head. But it's at least good for the Cobain Estate.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 06:35:43 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1996 on: December 14, 2021, 04:40:04 PM »

Seattle was so fun in the '90s...........

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: December 15, 2021, 09:12:40 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: December 16, 2021, 05:34:42 AM »
Sounds like a Cure song now!  :mrgreen:

I've seen these guys and gals live, they're an absolute hoot!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: December 16, 2021, 10:58:12 PM »
Live At Donington Castle.
Jack Bruce comes in around the 30 minute mark.  Then many others play for a while.  Jack comes back and plays quite a lot toward the latter part. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: December 16, 2021, 11:21:05 PM »
Jack always sounded like Jack, whether fretted or fretless, Warwick or Gibson.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: December 17, 2021, 02:12:17 AM »

That's true.  BTW, I didn't even know about that video until recently.  From time to time things like this appear unexpectedly. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 02:51:16 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: December 17, 2021, 04:50:05 AM »
That performance has gone down in history as living proof that a fretless bass as played by Jack AND a Sky Guitar as played by Uli (which has more frets than a regular guitar with the fret distance in the high register becoming so narrow that only fretting pressure on and bending of the strings ultimately define the note played) are a risky combination. If Jack is just a little low and Uli is just a little high, they're together both way off which is why it all sounds a little sour!

Uli is an artist, but that violin effect of his Sky Guitar can get tiresome. You sometimes feel inclined to take it off his hands and hand him his old Strat or Firebird which he still played with the Scorpions. IMHO, his lead guitar playing there surpassed both his predecessor's (Michael Schenker) and his successor's (Matthias Jabs).

« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 04:59:14 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: December 17, 2021, 05:05:10 AM »
For those who missed the DP connection, that's Don Airey on keyboards!

Just sayin'.   :-X

PS: And both Roth's and (Michael) Schenker's names were traded at one point as possible successors to Ritchie Blackmore within DP.  That Germanic streak in Deep Purple ...  :mrgreen:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2004 on: December 17, 2021, 10:46:30 AM »

I think that's true for most of us.  I know it is for me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: December 17, 2021, 11:08:01 AM »
That performance has gone down in history as living proof that a fretless bass as played by Jack AND a Sky Guitar as played by Uli (which has more frets than a regular guitar with the fret distance in the high register becoming so narrow that only fretting pressure on and bending of the strings ultimately define the note played) are a risky combination. If Jack is just a little low and Uli is just a little high, they're together both way off which is why it all sounds a little sour!

Uli is an artist, but that violin effect of his Sky Guitar can get tiresome. You sometimes feel inclined to take it off his hands and hand him his old Strat or Firebird which he still played with the Scorpions. IMHO, his lead guitar playing there surpassed both his predecessor's (Michael Schenker) and his successor's (Matthias Jabs).

I try to keep up with everything I can Jack Bruce-related on YouTube.  I had never seen that one.  I'm not even sure if I had heard of it.  He does have a lot of performances out there, a lot of records, etc.  I'm trying to get as many of his CDs now that I can.  BTW, that Sky Guitar really looks strange.  I'm not used to seeing something like that.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: December 17, 2021, 11:35:10 AM »
Uli plays it well, but it's a fickle thing. BTW, his volume on stage makes Ted Nugent sound unplugged. Jack being volume-wise no shrinking violet either (as Ging Baker could testify), those two on one stage must have been something.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2007 on: December 17, 2021, 12:33:35 PM »
Today my Xmas holiday should have begun with a trip to Edinburg. I was going to see Del Amitri live in Usher Hall. It would be the first time I'd see them live since the last time in 1995 (Twisted tour).
But the gig got cancelled yesterday due to the Covid Omicron crisis that hit the UK at the moment.  >:(

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: December 17, 2021, 01:25:13 PM »
Uli plays it well, but it's a fickle thing. BTW, his volume on stage makes Ted Nugent sound unplugged. Jack being volume-wise no shrinking violet either (as Ging Baker could testify), those two on one stage must have been something.

It was hard to tell the exact extent of it, but they seemed to have a genuine rapport on stage.  Very loud, too, but that's good. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: December 17, 2021, 02:02:37 PM »
Jack didn't mind loudness with others. He dug Cozy Powell as a drummer und Gary Moore as a guitarist too. Both were painful on stage.