Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240883 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #1785 on: August 07, 2021, 09:43:00 AM »
He's been playing that shape forever, they used to be all Hamers. I guess he likes that shape because he's so tiny. Any larger bass would look like it has legs on him.

Or perhaps because a Republican invented it?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Lil' Jack is kinda vocal about his party leanings, but he never crosses the line to the inane unlike his former Damn Yankees buddy from Deeetroit.

I think Brad Gillis is an unsung American guitar hero. He's a funky shredder, if there is such a thing. Behind all the flash and dive bomb tremolo bar use, his solos are rhythmically ambitious.

Night Ranger are probably regarded by most people as the archetypical white boy Wonder Bread AOR band, but lest we forget: Jack Blades and Brad Gillis learned their chops with this Tower of Power'ish outfit here, which sprang from the debris of what was once Sly & The Family Stone:

And if you want to hear a skillfully Jazz Bass slappin' Jack, just go to 40:55 and 45:06. You also now know where he got his show band choreography dance moves from!  ;D

Now Night Ranger sure aren't the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I still hear that funk influence in their music not only via Gillis' solos, but also in the way they use starts and stops. Something in Night Ranger's music always made me not just want to bang my head, but also move my butt. They are vastly underrated as a band. Yank musicianship at its finest - yes, you guys can be that hellishly good.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 10:56:02 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #1786 on: August 09, 2021, 08:29:09 AM »
I saw that Rubicon clip when it first aired and took note of the bass player. I was shocked to find out years later that that was Jack Blades!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: August 09, 2021, 10:57:25 AM »
Preconceptions, Tom, preconceptions, you have to liberate your biased horizons, tsk, tsk, tsk ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1788 on: August 09, 2021, 02:08:12 PM »
We're headed to Red Rocks tonight for a Joe Bonamassa blues concert.

Should be just under 80 at 8:00, about 75 when the show finishes.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: August 09, 2021, 03:34:17 PM »
Have fun and (dutifully) report!

I think Joe overexposes himself with all those releases, he is in danger of becoming the Phil Collins of blues guitar, but the man can play!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1790 on: August 10, 2021, 07:48:05 AM »

I think Joe overexposes himself with all those releases, he is in danger of becoming the Phil Collins of blues guitar, but the man can play!

For some reason I don't quite "get" him, but Blues and me aren't Kissing Cousins....... :-*
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1791 on: August 10, 2021, 10:36:47 AM »

I wish that I had enjoyed it more.  Bonamassa is a guitar virtuoso, but he's also prone to deciding he's more important than the music and wanking by stretching his solos.  To be fair, he always gave his bass player (Michael Rhodes)and keyboard player (Reese Wynans) highlights as well, but the spotlight is almost always on him. The band was four-piece (guitar/bass/drums/keyboards) with Joe and a female singer whose name I didn't catch.

There were a few tunes where the group got into a groove and I enjoyed it, but very few. He ended the encore with a very good version of Cream's Crossroads, and that really rocked.  The guy can do blues-rock extremely well when he wants to.

If you're already a fan of Bonamassa and like his slightly wanky version of blues, it would be great.  For us, there were occasional moments of goodness, but much of it was more of a spectator event.  Unfortunate there was one row of drunks in front us who insisted on standing, dancing, and hugging on each other, presenting an occasionally impenetrable wall that we couldn't see through.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: August 10, 2021, 02:42:10 PM »
  Bonamassa is a guitar virtuoso, but he's also prone to deciding he's more important than the music and wanking by stretching his solos.

Well said.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: August 11, 2021, 07:05:26 PM »
The million Dollar question, Dave (W), of course is: Is it real country?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: August 11, 2021, 10:57:16 PM »
I saw that yesterday, very clever mashup.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1795 on: August 13, 2021, 08:27:36 AM »
A couple of old favorites. Texas Panhandle music from Jimmie Dale Gilmore (not Gilmer)

Both the song and the dancer in the background keep playing in my mind.  Very nicely done!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: August 14, 2021, 12:06:17 AM »
Jimmie is the lesser known member of the Flatlanders -- Joe Ely and Butch Hancock have been more visible over the years.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1797 on: August 14, 2021, 08:42:02 AM »
Does anyone know what the style of dance in that Gilmore "Mind of its Own" is called?  Looks like something that would have originated in either Texas or the Appalachians.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: August 14, 2021, 09:30:36 AM »
Clogging

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1799 on: August 14, 2021, 11:52:12 AM »
Clogging

Thanks. I knew I had seen it before; that's a bit different than what I had seen, but recognizable. I didn't have a name for it.