Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240949 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #1650 on: May 04, 2021, 09:46:10 PM »

Whenever I see someone mention Bullet Bass, they're talking about a Squier, but I immediately think of this one.

From a barroom brawl to a San Antonio music store, then on to Uwe's luthier for gunshot repair and a subtle understated refin.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: May 05, 2021, 03:28:44 AM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Garish or not, that bass with this fin has captured a real early 70ies vibe. Whenever I take it to a rehearsal,  people think it is some Dennis Dunaway  artefact  or something. And that is even before I have told the little lore that led to its loveable look today. You see, in Germany - with its unreasonable, freedom-constricting gun laws - old mahogany is only rarely used for target practice in an imbibed state!  8)

It sounds real good too.The TB+ give real bark and you can dial in additional sonic ooomp via the mudbucker.

And of course the color design proves that even Mark's more throwaway remarks/recommendations serve as nourishing beauty manna to all those of us with less visionary esthetics. A West Coast Marc Jacobs in our ranks, no less.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 03:41:37 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1652 on: May 05, 2021, 07:41:12 AM »
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Garish or not, that bass with this fin has captured a real early 70ies vibe. Whenever I take it to a rehearsal,  people think it is some Dennis Dunaway  artefact  or something. And that is even before I have told the little lore that led to its loveable look today. You see, in Germany - with its unreasonable, freedom-constricting gun laws - old mahogany is only rarely used for target practice in an imbibed state!  8)

It sounds real good too.The TB+ give real bark and you can dial in additional sonic ooomp via the mudbucker.

And of course the color design proves that even Mark's more throwaway remarks/recommendations serve as nourishing beauty manna to all those of us with less visionary esthetics. A West Coast Marc Jacobs in our ranks, no less.

You know I was quite surprised that you went with my suggestion! How long ago was this now? At least 12 years, maybe more - The Dudepit sure was a wooly place, the first time I posted a pic of me in drag - Got a lot of email on that  :gay:

A tasteful refin may not be everyone's deal but sometimes it just makes sense, original or not a crappy finish at some point turns me off. My buddy that restores '60 Pontiacs to factory condition has no problem with repainting them and it certainly doesn't decrease the value of the car, whyso with basses?

Purple.......just 'cause.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: May 05, 2021, 08:24:25 AM »
My luthier rolled his eyes at the time. But once he was done, he said: "You know, it looks real good!"

I can understand a "slavishly true to the original" restoration sometimes, but not every bass needs to.

I remember your "coming out" well at the time, Mark. I found it a relief. That model train thing had been a deeply unsettling experience for me. Now I knew you were normal after all.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1654 on: May 05, 2021, 08:38:22 AM »
My luthier rolled his eyes at the time. But once he was done, he said: "You know, it looks real good!"

I can understand a "slavishly true to the original" restoration sometimes, but not every bass needs to.

I remember your "coming out" well at the time, Mark. I found it a relief. That model train thing had been a deeply unsettling experience for me. Now I knew you were normal after all.

Anymore, it's easier to speak about being a Queen than the model train thing, however I did change my avatar on the model train forum I frequent to the same one I use here just to see if I'd get a comment from anybody........Crickets for months, finally one person sent me a note, turns out she's Trans so that was cool.

We need more Slade...........

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: May 05, 2021, 08:52:12 AM »

And more Purplebirds!!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:27:14 PM by uwe »

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1656 on: May 05, 2021, 08:57:58 AM »

I'd quite forgotten that one! I don't know the story behind it's refin.......I'll raise you a '76 BTW.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: May 05, 2021, 12:25:44 PM »
All those model train fumes ...

You don't remember that short-lived "Gibson Goddess Series" around 2006? Lighter guitars in fresher colors for girls like you?

I saw this LP in purple burst and knew that my 60ies IV would not stay (very) worn tobacco burst much longer. The rest - as they say - is history.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #1658 on: May 05, 2021, 01:00:00 PM »
All those model train fumes ...

You don't remember that short-lived "Gibson Goddess Series" around 2006? Lighter guitars in fresher colors for girls like you?

I saw this LP in purple burst and knew that my 60ies IV would not stay (very) worn tobacco burst much longer. The rest - as they say - is history.

Model train fumes + liquor  ;D 
Thunderbird finishes can be so stodgy, so pretty much anything is an improvement, I dig the purple burst!
 I get it on the refin, both my '76s finish were so shot that it wasn't even a question in my mind to go ahead. At the time a beat '76 was worth about 1K and I spent almost that much getting it painted and put back together, Mike Lull's office manager thought I was nuts (probably true), but I'm sure it hasn't gone down in value and I like having something no one else does.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #1659 on: May 06, 2021, 02:20:14 PM »
Dammit, now I want a purple bass.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: May 06, 2021, 05:05:09 PM »
Dutch prog roolz!

Our neighbors to the West, though hardened by their constant struggle with the elements, are a friendly and good-natured people with joyous, ebullient art.

We wouldn't want to miss the original vid, would we?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 05:18:00 PM by uwe »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1661 on: May 06, 2021, 05:43:20 PM »
Never better than this...

Note that Fisher (lead guitar) had all the 80's "rock god" moves down a decade early.  But Nancy Wilson still out-rocked him! 

I learned today that the acoustic intro to this is called Silver Wheels, and stands by itself as a famous piece of music. I also learned that the music was inspired by the Moody Blues' "Question" which was a similar guitar-driven rock hit.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: May 06, 2021, 05:59:20 PM »
Oh, how I know that intro! My son drove me mad learning it for hours and days until he had it down pat.  :rolleyes:

I never made the connection.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: May 06, 2021, 08:06:56 PM »
Yesterday, Lovesick Duo posted a video of them busking in New Orleans in 2016 with a singer named Sabine McCalla. Liked what I heard, checked and found several videos. She also has a bandcamp site with a digital album available.

Here's the 2016 busking video.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1664 on: May 07, 2021, 09:52:10 AM »
Oh, how I know that intro! My son drove me mad learning it for hours and days until he had it down pat.  :rolleyes:

I never made the connection.

Listening to it again, the intro makes the connection VERY clear, doesn't it??

I'm a huge Moody Blues fan.  That tune tugs at my heart.  Justin Hayward is a seriously underrated guitarist, and that band has had an epic career.  I just hope they tour a few more times and I get the chance to see them again. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."