Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240887 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #1485 on: February 04, 2021, 06:02:56 AM »
I remember reading how they had recorded one of their early studio albums (first or second) in mono - intentionally so. That was strange news back then and it really mystified me. Who in the mid-seventies would voluntarily do anything in mono?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: February 04, 2021, 03:22:40 PM »

I have never been a huge Hughes fan. Not due to any animus, but other than a song here and there, he never grabbed me like other bands, bass players, or singers. But this album... He got me. That does not sound like a guy pushing 70. I have a sister his age and one ten years older; Glenn seems (and sounds) younger to me than either one.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: February 04, 2021, 11:47:04 PM »
In an attempt to remove myself stylistically as far as possible from some stuff that I'm working on, re-visiting some music that I haven't listened to in literally decades. It must be 30 years since I last heard "Looking On" but I still like it a bunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0A68eC3Jaw&list=PLA2-nXsHvm3JPwznWtj3mTVxluxAn1Ywb&index=5
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: February 05, 2021, 10:12:51 AM »

I have never been a huge Hughes fan. Not due to any animus, but other than a song here and there, he never grabbed me like other bands, bass players, or singers. But this album... He got me. That does not sound like a guy pushing 70. I have a sister his age and one ten years older; Glenn seems (and sounds) younger to me than either one.

Ah, look at George pandering to me! What's next, vocal support for collectivist big government intervention and Keynes deficit spending?  :popcorn:

That bass solo is kick-ass and says everything about Glenn's gung ho yet skillful style. The whole album is great, Glenn blossoms from Doug Aldrich's (ex-Whitesnake) playing (less overblown than with Whitesnake's cinemascope sonic onslaught) and co-writing plus it's great to hear Deen Castronovo's (ex-Journey) drumming and backing vocals. And the immensely wealthy Herr Lowy - a Richard Branson type figure - pays for it all, what's not to like?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: February 05, 2021, 10:27:47 PM »
Ok, this ... is ... different ...

Staroulchild has released his inner Al Green! There have always been soul tracks hidden in Kiss' oeuvre, stuff like Shandi or Sure Know Something, but it's nice to hear him now tackle those grand arrangements. And it puts a lot less stress on his vocal chords than hollering for Kiss. His grunge excursions on his last solo exploit always sounded contrived to me.

Perhaps he should get a haircut though for his new Michael Bolton role. With his post-Sopranos look, he could also apply for a job with Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:17:49 PM by uwe »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: February 06, 2021, 04:50:56 AM »
Okay... that was weird... one of those is stamped on my psyche due to the Guardians Marvel films... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1491 on: February 06, 2021, 10:46:51 AM »
Speaking of tunes I haven't revisited recently...I still have this original LP by the Electric Flag.  Mike Bloomfield, Buddy Miles, Barry Goldberg.

Killer blues music with a bass line that won't quit, and I appreciate it a lot more now than I did "back when."

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: February 06, 2021, 12:59:28 PM »
Ah, look at George pandering to me! What's next, vocal support for collectivist big government intervention and Keynes deficit spending?  :popcorn:

That bass solo is kick-ass and says everything about Glenn's gung ho yet skillful style. The whole album is great, Glenn blossoms from Doug Aldrich's (ex-Whitesnake) playing (less overblown than with Whitesnake's cinemascope sonic onslaught) and co-writing plus it's great to hear Deen Castronovo's (ex-Journey) drumming and backing vocals. And the immensely wealthy Herr Lowy - a Richard Branson type figure - pays for it all, what's not to like?

I think we know the answer to that first question...  :mrgreen:

But seriously, manufactured and bankrolled like a Geritol boy band or not, this combination of players hit on something that sounds better (and more authentic) to me than Glenn's last (other?) foray into a quasi supergroups (BCC). Also, you answered my question as to how this was being produced. I hope Mr. Lowy has the scratch and desire to let this last a while.

I thought of you when I stumbled across this little ad/teaser for the new album and the longer it played the more funny I found it (it's hard not to see Spinal Tap in every hard rock band's documentary), but the more interested I got as well.

And Deen is like almost every decent drummer I ever worked with. The ADHD is fizzling over the brim with him.

Ok, this ... is ... different ...

Perhaps he should get a haircut though for his new Michael Bolton role. With his post-Sopranos look, he could also apply for a job with Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul.

Like Little Steven, all he'd really have to do is change his wig.  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: February 07, 2021, 11:05:33 AM »
"The ADHD is fizzling over the brim with him."

Brilliantly put, the guy's a hoot! Lovely - unless you have him around 24/7 of course.  ;)

Thanks for that studio clip, hadn't seen it, Aldrich seems a genuinely nice guy.

PS: Oooooops ...

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/deen-castronovo-quits-dead-daisies/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 11:56:12 AM by uwe »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: February 07, 2021, 03:13:54 PM »
Well, hopefully that back surgery isn't a cover for anything more damaging to his career and reputation. I think Tommy will fit in nicely.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: February 07, 2021, 06:22:52 PM »
Where is PROG-Tom when you need him? Isn't this something for you?

https://darwin.is/

Simon Phillips is such a cool cat.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #1496 on: February 08, 2021, 09:42:13 AM »
Where is PROG-Tom when you need him? Isn't this something for you?

https://darwin.is/

Simon Phillips is such a cool cat.

That's a new one on me. I can't keep up with all the supergroups! Didn't know Matt Bissonette was a singer. This sounds like something that would be on Frontiers Records. A little on the AOR side for me. Sherinian and Philips have done a couple of records that are more up my alley - Oceana and the Phoenix.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: February 08, 2021, 12:23:17 PM »
That's a new one on me. I can't keep up with all the supergroups! Didn't know Matt Bissonette was a singer. This sounds like something that would be on Frontiers Records. A little on the AOR side for me. Sherinian and Philips have done a couple of records that are more up my alley - Oceana and the Phoenix.

I second this. I know it's more AOR than prog because I kinda like it. No dis to prog at all; I appreciate it, just never been able to get into of most of it. Those clips Robert Frip has been doing with his wife on YouTube have made me want to look into King Crimson though. I feel like I should buy some CDs so they'll be able to buy her a bra at some point.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: February 08, 2021, 12:25:08 PM »
George!

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: February 08, 2021, 10:10:57 PM »
Those clips Robert Frip has been doing with his wife on YouTube have made me want to look into King Crimson though. I feel like I should buy some CDs so they'll be able to buy her a bra at some point.

What a lovely chap he is :)

Start out with 'red' and it's no way back 8)