Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240892 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #1440 on: January 12, 2021, 02:33:04 PM »
I always dug the song since first hearing it in the late 80ies during a work stint in NYC. Saw the 'Unter (with Ronno) play live there too. But I never knew there was a video. Here's a love song to all you Yanks and your lasting cultural impact:

You saw Hunter Ronson...? I saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon... spiffing gig... I believe that gig was released as part of his monster box set but not got that...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: January 12, 2021, 03:22:53 PM »
Listened to this yesterday... melancholia set in due to a year since his passing rolling through...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8CbkW4ZSy4&ab_channel=TreborTV

Also ordered the R40 blu-ray whilst listening to him...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: January 12, 2021, 03:33:16 PM »
Yeah, I saw them in some NYC club/theater in '88 where I had also seen Buster Poindexter/David Johansen a few weeks before or after. Great gigs, both of them.

In '90, I saw Hunter Ronson again in Frankfurt. Another great gig. Ronson was endlessly cool.

Since then, I've seen the 'Unter a few times more (and of course I have that mammothian boxed set), which mostly means travelling to Scandinavia or the UK - he hardly ever tours Germany,  neither he nor Mott the Hoople ever meant much here, sadly.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: January 12, 2021, 03:39:58 PM »
Listened to this yesterday... melancholia set in due to a year since his passing rolling through...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8CbkW4ZSy4&ab_channel=TreborTV

Also ordered the R40 blu-ray whilst listening to him...

And he's pronounced "Peert" as in "hear", not "Part" as in "heart", "Purt" as in "heard" or "Pairt" as in "pear".  :mrgreen:

Iconic drummer, may your rudiments paradiddle forever & in peace!

PS: Let's forget that Ayn Rand crush he had for a while.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: January 12, 2021, 05:10:49 PM »
... PS: Let's forget that Ayn Rand crush he had for a while...

Attention all Kollectors of the Euro Federation... Brexit has confused the situation... :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: January 19, 2021, 09:47:46 AM »
Cracker of a synth solo, they sure knew how to deliver the goods live ...

https://youtu.be/LWCCXScA2CM?list=RDLWCCXScA2CM

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: January 20, 2021, 06:25:57 AM »
It shows haw far live music has declined in the past 40 years.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: January 20, 2021, 05:12:25 PM »
Furlough has set in over here... 3rd week of lockdown post the Christmas period... so this week has been going through the BOC box set, and next was all the Foo Fighters, followed by the first two Roxy Music LP's... the K-Pax soundtrack rolled through next...
I've been doing this whilst repairing old PC's... about 30 of them... where they had been cluttering up space in two towers stacked up in my music room... newest was a scrapped W8 Pro that is now a W10 Pro and oldest is W95... :mrgreen:

I've been contemplating some classical works... I was gifted a few thousand CD's by an elderly customer that used to be a classical radio DJ... he was about 90 but passed on before CV19 hit... no one wanted them and the record companies just kept sending him the promos... to give you an idea of what I went through... there were about 200 Beethoven, 150 Motzart, about 80 Tchaikovsky, you name it, he had it... I promised I would find a home for them... they had become a millstone round his neck... filled my wife's old Zafira twice to clear them, and I mean back seats flat, to the roof full... he actually wanted to pay me for clearing them away... he was a piano and violin teacher... a musician all his life... rip Sir...
a lot of them have gone to good homes already...
Maybe some Wagner or Mahler's 1st tomorrow... maybe some Saint-Saëns... still got over 1000 to go through, at a conservative estimate...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1448 on: January 20, 2021, 06:17:06 PM »
Furlough has set in over here... 3rd week of lockdown post the Christmas period... so this week has been going through the BOC box set, and next was all the Foo Fighters, followed by the first two Roxy Music LP's... the K-Pax soundtrack rolled through next...
I've been doing this whilst repairing old PC's... about 30 of them... where they had been cluttering up space in two towers stacked up in my music room... newest was a scrapped W8 Pro that is now a W10 Pro and oldest is W95... :mrgreen:

I've been contemplating some classical works... I was gifted a few thousand CD's by an elderly customer that used to be a classical radio DJ... he was about 90 but passed on before CV19 hit... no one wanted them and the record companies just kept sending him the promos... to give you an idea of what I went through... there were about 200 Beethoven, 150 Motzart, about 80 Tchaikovsky, you name it, he had it... I promised I would find a home for them... they had become a millstone round his neck... filled my wife's old Zafira twice to clear them, and I mean back seats flat, to the roof full... he actually wanted to pay me for clearing them away... he was a piano and violin teacher... a musician all his life... rip Sir...
a lot of them have gone to good homes already...
Maybe some Wagner or Mahler's 1st tomorrow... maybe some Saint-Saëns... still got over 1000 to go through, at a conservative estimate...

Here in the states some libraries have CD and video lending as part of their functions. There might be libraries interested...?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: January 21, 2021, 02:21:52 AM »
Same here... all of ours do, afaik... The Gent in question was one of the senior musical teachers in my part of Scotland, so he had the contacts... all the schools, colleges and libraries declared no interest as most folks here (apparently) use the "digital" medium to dip into something, or so it appeared... His family declared no interest, not even in his piano... Most loaning sites can only hold an item so long due to space requirements if it will only be taken out once in a blue moon, so... He retired at 65 but continued to give violin and piano lessons until his hands failed him; he also became the Saturday night "Classical Jock" for a "hobby" until the station dropped the show, hence the reasons for the "reviewing" contacts... I only new him in his mid to late 80's and he was that independent that he was still driving when I last saw him aged 89...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: January 23, 2021, 10:43:02 PM »

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: January 24, 2021, 05:59:26 AM »
Nothing like Ginger's aerobic smoking routine while playing.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: January 25, 2021, 12:28:30 AM »
Nothing like Ginger's aerobic smoking routine while playing.

:mrgreen:

But he made it to 80.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: January 25, 2021, 05:53:56 AM »
And he never grumbled either.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1454 on: January 25, 2021, 06:13:14 AM »
The ultra fast switching between the camera angles make watching this video a slightly epileptic experience :o