Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240972 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #1365 on: November 06, 2020, 11:15:53 AM »
I've always said this: The Stars and Stripes Forever should be your national anthem. More than any other "official state song" it sums up American spirit. No other melody captures it as well and the music would fit with no other nation on Earth as well. With even its slight influences of what later on became Jazz, it is an amazing piece of music.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:23:15 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1366 on: November 06, 2020, 12:02:31 PM »
Sousa was a wonderful composer. His work beginning in the 1890's captured a spirit which reflected the country in a way that might not be possible today. There are a number of his works which I think would be worthy of becoming the national anthem, but "Stars and Stripes Forever" would certainly be up front in that list.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #1367 on: November 06, 2020, 01:36:36 PM »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: November 06, 2020, 09:28:56 PM »
No giant foot

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: November 07, 2020, 07:02:33 AM »
That's a bit too college marching band for me with its shuffle rhythm.

The Stars and Stripes Forever is like a complex red wine to me, though a marching band song in nature as well, it elicits all these additional flavors. I even hear elements in it that would later become familiar from Bernstein and Gershwin, even Broadway musicals. That is why I deem it so American, it could only have been written by one of your very own. It sounds "red, white & blue" in an enchantingly optimistic way.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: November 07, 2020, 09:34:57 AM »
Herzlichen Glückwunsch, liebe Amerikaner:

Just like one famous Limey once said, I paraphrase: You can always be trusted to do the right thing in the end - after having fastidiously exhausted all other available options, of course.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 02:00:14 PM by uwe »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #1371 on: November 07, 2020, 06:00:14 PM »

The Stars and Stripes Forever is like a complex red wine to me, though a marching band song in nature as well, it elicits all these additional flavors. I even hear elements in it that would later become familiar from Bernstein and Gershwin, even Broadway musicals. That is why I deem it so American, it could only have been written by one of your very own. It sounds "red, white & blue" in an enchantingly optimistic way.

What a lovely comment. Thank you. I can only agree with this analysis.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: November 07, 2020, 11:03:31 PM »

Mitch Miller ruined The Stars and Stripes Forever for me.

OTOH The Liberty Bell March has a special place in my heart.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: November 07, 2020, 11:04:02 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: November 08, 2020, 06:09:28 PM »
Mitch Miller ruined The Stars and Stripes Forever for me.

OTOH The Liberty Bell March has a special place in my heart.

I had to listen to the Mitch Miller version first, it's friggin' awful!!!   :puke:

I never gave it a thought before, but I now realize why The Star-Spangled Banner reflects so little of the dynamic American spirit for me - it's a waltz! Very few national anthems are 3/4, I can only really think of God Save the Queen - and I never liked that either and wondered why the hell the Limeys had not chosen Land of Hope and Glory instead.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: November 08, 2020, 10:53:54 PM »
Mitch Miller hated rock & roll. His awful TV show Sing Along With Mitch was an attempt to counter it.  He was also an A&R man for Columbia Records and resisted signing rock acts.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: November 09, 2020, 03:12:38 AM »
Mitch Miller was a scourge upon humanity.  From the first moment I encountered him I hated everything that he did.  I was a kid and didn't know much, but I knew I simply could not stand Mitch Miller and whatever it was that he was trying to do against music. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: November 09, 2020, 08:10:26 AM »
I didn't know you had a Joe McCarthy against rock'n'roll too!

Did he ever, uhum, concede he was wrong? That used to be good American practice.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: November 09, 2020, 09:12:11 AM »
If you can access it, this New York Times obituary offers a lot of info about him.  He said rock wasn't music, but a disease.  LOL.

I think these excerpts are particularly good.

The ratings were good, but the critics were mostly unimpressed. Brooks Atkinson, writing in The New York Times, suggested in 1962 that “Sing Along With Mitch” might best be viewed with the sound turned off.

Even at the singalongs’ height, many Americans considered them hopelessly corny. That sense only intensified as a younger generation came of age in the 1960s and musical tastes changed. There were news reports that shopping malls had begun piping Mitch Miller music on their sound systems as a way to discourage teenagers from congregating. Years later, in 1993, when David Koresh and members of his Branch Davidian cult were holed up in their compound in Waco, Tex., F.B.I. agents tried to flush them out by blasting “Sing Along With Mitch” Christmas carols."

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/arts/music/03miller.html
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 09:20:42 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #1379 on: November 09, 2020, 08:56:39 PM »
Just heard this original. My band has been covering the J JGeils version for a few years, I never heard the original Philly soul version until now.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy